PDA

View Full Version : Iq?

Dechipher
06-09-2005, 01:43 AM
What's your IQ? I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I figured I'd go for it...

http://web.tickle.com/tests/uiq/index2.jsp

Get it tested there.

Sure it's not official, but it's a guesstimate, that's close enough.

I, of course, will not vote until another does, so I don't boast, or get embarrased by, my IQ.

I think it would be interesting to see where AGN scores as opposed to the rest of the population. Of course it will be higher, us being a bunch of computer geeks, stereotypically, but how much higher should be interesting.

Usually, people with certain numbers tend to fall into these occupational groupings:

140+ Top Civil Servants; Professors and Research Scientists.
130-139 Physicians and Surgeons; Lawyers; Engineers (Civil and Mechanical).
120-129 School Teachers; Pharmacists; Accountants; Nurses; Stenographers; Managers.
110-119 Foremen; Clerks; Telephone Operators; Salesmen; Policemen; Electricians.
100-109 Machine Operators; Shopkeepers; Butchers; Welders; Sheet Metal Workers.
90-99 Warehousemen; Carpenters; Cooks and Bakers; Small Farmers; Truck and Van Drivers.
80-89 Laborers; Gardeners; Upholsterers; Farmhands; Miners; Factory Packers and Sorters.

http://sify.com/education/fullstory.php?id=13530771&page=2

Rainman
06-09-2005, 02:04 AM
I'm not going to take the test since I've taken so many. I'm fairly certain that I'm higher than 130. My dad has said that he's about that and my mom is up their as well. I know damn well that I am at least as intelligent as either of them. All of the IQ tests I've taken have said that I was a genius. :shrug: Whatever. Btw, I'm working to be an engineer. :P

Great Warrior
06-09-2005, 03:04 AM
I will not take the IQ test because i do not register on a site to take a web test. I also took so many iq tests before and I scored high, but there is no way for me to prove it.

Beldaran
06-09-2005, 03:20 AM
I don't respect people for their intelligence, since they didn't do anything to earn it. I respect people for their work ethic, creativity, and character.

Starkist
06-09-2005, 03:28 AM
IQ scores are meaningless, as every test is subjective and has different margins.

Toolie
06-09-2005, 06:55 AM
I took an actual psychologist administered IQ test when I was a young'un, as well as a bunch of online ones more recently... the tests are wildly different, the scores are completely different (the online tests always give you higher scores), and I think it's a meaningless measure anyway.

Though, I will say I got a 151. :shrug:

g.iaroos
06-09-2005, 10:55 AM
IQ is somewhat meaningless for a single reason. It only measures your intelligence potential. That means you could get an IQ score as high as 200 and still be a dumbass if you don't use it.

ShadowTiger
06-09-2005, 02:27 PM
IQ scores are meaningless, as every test is subjective and has different margins.
I agree wholeheartedly. The Average Of Every IQ Test I've ever taken equals roughly 142. I just don't trust that number at all. I really don't.

Archibaldo
06-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I only got 120. Yeah, I'm prety stupid.

Ganonator
06-09-2005, 02:40 PM
161? there must be some mistake.

TheNewLink
06-09-2005, 10:04 PM
142, Visionary Philosopher. Although I'm not very good at explaining things. Well, at the very least it was a nice ego boost.

Also, 100 is supposedly "average", so I guess we're all pretty smart. But heart is what matters! *gets a warm, fuzzy feeling inside*

Mephistophelian
06-10-2005, 03:42 AM
From various IQ tests that I've taken, I tend to place in the 130 range. I don't know if this is correct or not because although I know I'm a smart girl ,if I apply myself, (which I usually don't) I don't see myself being smarter than alot of other people. I've always thought of myself as average. :shrug:

Verman
06-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Beldaran, thats a bit messed up. I could say the same thing then, I respect people for intelligence and wisdom because of they have to learn somewhere, maybe by experience or by reading...

Now creativity and character are more or less the way you are, you are born that way. I have zero talent for playing guitar, why? because I wasn't born with any, so even if I tried to learn to play one I will never be as good as you could be (I'm guessing you have talent in it).

My character is also the way it is because thats the way I am due to many things in life such as the way I was brought up, what I do, etc etc.

To me those two traits are not even close to intelligence when it comes to earning my respect. Because of the same reason you said, so in other words I'm disageeing with your point.

BUT on the side of the IQ tests, I took one when I was younger and scored a 142. Sounds good eh? but most of the kids in school scored 120-130. To me its a stupid useless test that is juse so somene can brag about something.

AlexMax
06-10-2005, 09:40 AM

Exactly, there is a standardized 10-or-so part test that is given by psychologists on a one on one basis with someone to measure how well they do in certain reasoning situations. The most important thing you can have is the profile that shows you how well you did in each test, because ultimately, you are going to end up having a few strengths and a few weaknesses. There is a way to get an IQ from this profile, but I know several psychologists who refuse to tell it, and even prevent the subject from taking the test if "finding out his IQ" was pretty much the only goal.

Ovi
06-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Would anyone like me to list a couple of problems with this test?

1) It isn't timed.

2) It's over the internet. They want to flatter you with high IQ so that you will purchase the entire 16 page report. It's just a money making scheme, and it probably works, too. Some people with low IQ's will be so over joyed with their high IQ's that they will obviously pay for the 16 page report. Meh, screw them.

firebug
06-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Wow. According to that test, I've got an IQ of 168. Heh. I'm pretty sure I'm in the 130-140 range though.

Beldaran
06-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Beldaran, thats a bit messed up. I could say the same thing then, I respect people for intelligence and wisdom because of they have to learn somewhere, maybe by experience or by reading...

Now creativity and character are more or less the way you are, you are born that way. I have zero talent for playing guitar, why? because I wasn't born with any, so even if I tried to learn to play one I will never be as good as you could be (I'm guessing you have talent in it).

My character is also the way it is because thats the way I am due to many things in life such as the way I was brought up, what I do, etc etc.

To me those two traits are not even close to intelligence when it comes to earning my respect. Because of the same reason you said, so in other words I'm disageeing with your point.

BUT on the side of the IQ tests, I took one when I was younger and scored a 142. Sounds good eh? but most of the kids in school scored 120-130. To me its a stupid useless test that is juse so somene can brag about something.

I guess I meant "IQ" more than "intelligence". It's like, bragging about how good looking you are. You didn't earn it. It's a genetic trait. However, if you go on to invent the cure for cancer, then I respect that because hey, you had to work your ass off.

I'm impressed with accomplishments, not inherited traits.

Yes, I have talent for playing guitar. But I also had to practice 6-8 hours a day for years to get my chops down. I hope people respect me for the focus and hard work of a 40 hour practice week, and not for the talent I was born with.

sivart0
06-10-2005, 05:37 PM
mine is 113... and you people thought i was stupid! *walks into a wall*

Rainman
06-10-2005, 06:20 PM
The average for America is now a little over 100, btw. IQ test scores have gotten too much of a bad rep. For one thing, many people think of the online ones when thinking about them. They can be moderately accurate depending on the test, but a real one taken with the suprvision of a psychologist is best. Also, people think that IQ is a static number. In reality, it can range a lot from time to time depending on many factors. Most important is whether you have spent your time working your brain or not. IQ can be improved a lot through frequent mental work. Also, many other factors count during the test. For one thing stress. I remember taking one for fun in a class for school and being incredibly nervous for some reason. I ended up getting an average score when I know I can get much better. Other factors include hunger, sleepiness, and enviromental distractions.

To give an example, I'll relate a story given to me by my psych professor. He had to take an IQ test once when he was a kid. Problem was he was quite sick. Compounded on that his pencil lost its tip mid test and he had to file it down with his nail. All this stress and problems caused him to get a score labelling him retarded. Of course now he's a professor.

Beldaran
06-10-2005, 07:31 PM
caused him to get a score labelling him retarded. Of course now he's a professor.

In my experience, the two aren't mutually exclusive. :evil:

Dechipher
06-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Okay, so knock your scores down 20 points and you got your real score. :wink:

I know these aren't accurate at all. I'm not trying to do a study and publish a report on AGN's Average IQ, I was just wondering where everyone was at in relation to each other. I figured we'd all be above average, which even if we bumped them down 20 points, we'd still be at. I was just curious.