PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Rollerblade?

ShadowTiger
06-07-2005, 03:09 PM
For weeks on end, all I had envisioned for myself was rolling down the lengthy campus walkways, often on one leg, turning, jumping down some stairs, and curving around to a stop at the entrance. About six weeks later, I finally get my 'blades, (Cool blue Spiritblades.) and I can be seen at any given time slowly rolling backwards in my driveway, with this odd grin on my face. :p ... ... :laughing: ... ... :sweat: :rolleyes: Yeah, it takes practice, I know. I'm wearing them all over the house, going up and down stairs in them, and finding carpet to me my "ideal" skating environment. I can actually go places on carpet. (I can also WALK on Grass in them. Cool.) But on pavement and blacktop, I'm virtually paralyzed. I have NO idea how to move forward. It'd be nice if I could move forward, as you've got to take the first step before you ... go. Otherwise, you're just stuck there. -_-;

Anyone else here Rollerblade? ... Skate? Ice skate, perhaps? ... Or perhaps just fall a lot?

Reznik Akime
06-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Although I dont rollerblade (tried long ago and after a few dozen falls, I dropped it.) you never see many people do nowadays. Its all skateboarding this, kickflip that. Just two weekends ago I seen people rollerblading for the first time in about 5 years. Ever since skatebording became the new fad.

Machiavelli
06-07-2005, 05:04 PM
I can ice skate and rolledblade pretty good. I havent done either in a while but rollerblading is by far the furthest back. I don't really see skates anymore and when I do, I give them that "nobody does that anymore" look. Ice skating is still around. I might actualy do that if I felt like being out and about in the winter. It's just too bad its so cold when you can ice skate.
I suck at skateboarding, though, so you will NEVER see me doing that.

Great Warrior
06-08-2005, 07:34 AM
I can rollerblade and skateboard, but I have not done it... since I got a car. Why is skating backwards easier than forwards?

elise
06-08-2005, 07:47 AM
I did alot of ice skating but that was years ago , think if I put them on now the only thing that happens is turn a somersault and break my neck coming down .
BH4 the trick is when you go forward glide ,don't walk , leave one foot on the pavement and with the other one you push yourself forward, then when you glide do the same thing but first put your ( pushing) foot down glide and push with your other foot .
Have fun !!!!!!!

carrot red
06-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Right, what Elise said, BH4.

If you check around I'm sure you'll find some rollerskating schools near you and some of them even give free lessons to beginners.

I used to sleep with my rollerblades on at some point, but I outgrew it. : p

Edit:

Like this (http://getinlinechicagoland.com/) one, for example. You're in New York, right? I'm sure they have something similar.

ShadowTiger
06-08-2005, 11:51 AM
... OMG, Thank you all! ^_^ Elise, Carrot, excellent advice. :) Thank you very much. ^_^ I hope to employ such a tactic again today. Last night, I was sent to the mailbox with five or so letters, and decided to use my new protective gear along with the 'blades, ... and oh man, ... I don't think I've ever flailed my arms as much in my life! XD :laughing: I looked like a cross between a hungry zombie and a clown on fire. Amazing...

elise
06-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Learn to break before you start using strange people to stop.
Or hanging around trees like you're Pluto :)
Be carefull out there we want to see you back ;)

carrot red
06-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Learning to fly at the same time? Good idea, BH4.

Yeah, learn to use the rear brake wheel.

MrCow
06-08-2005, 03:17 PM
The easiest way to stop is to turn one skate sideways and drag it. You'll wear down the wheels, but once you get to know how it makes life much easier. Learn to skate without lifting a foot off first. Its rather simple once you get your balance on them. All you gotta do is weeve one foot out at a time really. It won't be the fastest but itll get you going if you do it right.

ShadowTiger
06-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Oh, wow, Excellent advice. * Scribble * Scribble * Thank you so much. :) I hope not to make as much of a fool of myself under the word of these great bladers. ^_^

:highfive:

Brasel
06-08-2005, 04:03 PM
I used to skate a bit. I played ice hockey in high school...I LOVE to skate. Its one of my favorite things to do. If you keep practicing, someday it'll become like riding a bicycle, or like to me, walking. I just put on a pair of skates and I feel completely natural in them. I can skate forwards slowly, fast as hell, skate backwards, stop on a dime, but tricks aren't something I do. I skated for hocky purposes, so I can't do any neat stuff.

They've given you good advice so far, and I really can't add on it at this point.

Strider1982
06-08-2005, 04:14 PM
I used to rollerblade all the time...8 or 10 years ago. I haven't owned a pair of skates in ages. Maybe I should look into getting a new pair...

ShadowTiger
06-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Well Tony, the regular stuff is all you need, if speed is your game. ;-D :highfive: Thanks.

Well, here's an odd bit. Who here thinks Ice Skating is similar to Rollerblading? My mother seems to think so. o_O; I might just watch the video we took out and see. I'm a bit skeptical, but ... you can't tell until you watch it. ^_^;

MrCow
06-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Well I've done both and I'm definately far fromt he best ice skater. Different feeling and different way to push yourself and move. your ankels have to be more straight or something.

Brasel
06-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Ice Skating is definately harder, but the method is still pretty much the same. You just have to get used to the slicker surface.

Eckels
06-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Know what the hardest part of rollerblading is?

Having to tell your parents that you're gay.

ShadowTiger
06-08-2005, 07:27 PM
... ... Yeah. You're probably right Eckels. I should abandon rollerblading, and practice a sport like hockey. My dentist will be SO proud of me. :rolleyes: XD ...

I'm mostly in it for the invisioned speed. I'll practice until I can go around my (rather large) block in under a minute and a half. That'd be my goal for now.

Brasel
06-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey now, I still have all my teeth.

Pablo
06-09-2005, 03:36 PM
I have to get back into ice skating, since I'm joining hockey next year. I'm still pretty good at rollerblading, but I haven't done it in forever. Is there anyone here aside from Tony and me that's into hockey? Seems like it's a dead/dying sport, and not just professionally.

MrCow
06-09-2005, 03:52 PM
I love hockey. Its my favorite sport. I wish I had gotten into Ice Hockey but I never really got into any sports.

Rainman
06-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Rollerblading was huge when I was kid. That was replaced by scooters (you know, the Sharper Image kind) later on though. I never got into the scooter thing but I did rollerblade. I don't think I would do it now though because as Eckels suggested, it feels gay.

I played floor hockey when I was around middle school age. It was a program run by a popular science teacher. Floor hockey didn't involve rollerblades or skates though. We had league going with teams and playoffs at the end of the season. Good times.