PDA

View Full Version : Linux Media Player

linkofzelda1
06-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Is there a simple media player for Linux (that will run on Mandrake with GNOME, if possible, although KDE is fine) for which I don't have to satisfy a boatload of dependencies? I'm fairly new to the Linux scene, and I'm just looking for something simple, and google hasn't been helping me. This question is directed at people like Atma who use Linux all the time, as well as anyone else who knows something about Linux.

Thunderbird
06-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Isn't XMMS included with Mandrake? It's a lot like Winamp, except that it doesn't play videos.

linkofzelda1
06-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Ahh, my bad. I should have specified: I was hoping for something that plays music as well as videos.

vegeta1215
06-06-2005, 01:30 AM
I use XMMS for music and Mplayer for everything else.

Mandrake 9.2, which is what I have, came with packages for Mplayer. Your's probably does too, but they are always updating it, and most likely a much newer version is available online - just search Google for Mplayer. I heard that it is kind of a pain to install from source, but that it's gotten better. (I haven't done it myself, I'm only going on what I've heard) Just be sure that if you do get it, grab all the plugins so you can play WMV and Quicktime movies (and everything else basically)

Belgarath
06-06-2005, 04:52 AM
Try mplayer. If your using gentoo like I am you have allot of 'extra' things it can do that most distros can't legaly add to the mix since they are not source based.