PDA

View Full Version : Need 3rd Quest help (Official and Unofficial)

Mad Steve
06-05-2005, 08:06 PM
I need help with both the Official and Unofficial 3rd Quests.

Official--

Okay, I have been to Level 9 several times, taken down lots of the boss-type creatures, and know the exact path to take to get to Ganon. I'm good enough that I can fairly easily beat him into a daze...at which point I will be screwed because I do not have the silver arrow. I've tried walking through walls, blowing up walls, and pushing every single block I can find. I even found out--on my own!--that I can push one of the statues in the room just south of the northwest not-shown-on-the-map corner. None of these have gotten me anywhere! :mad2:

Unofficial--
I've been to every room in Level 6 except the one immediately east of the northwest corner. Again, I've tried pushing blocks and statues, and walking through and blowing up walls. Again, failure. There's nothing in that room that I absolutely HAVE to get, right? Knowing my luck, there probably is. By the way, I know how to get to Turtle Rock (and if I forget, I can just pay someone in the game to tell me), but I don't know what I have to do when I get there.

Any assistance with these problems is greatly appreciated!

LinkMaster500
06-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Unofficial Third Quest:

There is something in Level 6 that you do need to get. It is the Super Bomb, and as you probably guessed, it is in that room immediately east of the northwest corner that you haven't gotten to yet. To get there you have to push a stone statue (not a block) in one of the rooms. I cannot remember which room it is right now, but by pushing that stone statue, you'll find a passage that will take you to two rooms east of the northwest corner. Then bomb west and you're at the Super Bomb shop.

Super Bombs cost 50 rupees apiece, and you need one to open Turtle Rock--Level 7

Hope that helps

Mad Steve
06-05-2005, 09:27 PM
That'll do nicely. Now that leaves the Official 3rd Quest question to deal with. The statue I mentioned does absolutely nothing when I push it. No door opens, no staircase appears, NOTHING. Glitch, or deliberate red herring?

LinkMaster500
06-06-2005, 12:07 AM
I don't think it's a glitch because the Official Third Quest page at the creator's web site shows a screenshot with the ending screen after Link rescues Zelda. So the quest is beatable. Unfortunately, I have not beaten it yet.

vegeta1215
06-06-2005, 12:54 AM
I have beaten both, and they are excellent :D

AlphaDawg's site has a FAQ page for the Unofficial 3rd quest, and lots of help for the Official one. But, if you really can breeze through his quests, you shouldn't need much help ;) http://casadealphadawg.com/zc/index.html

drkptrs1975
06-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Is that the one where you register as "Alpha"

jtquad
06-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Yes it is. Also does anyone know where i can buy potion in this quest? Its the official quest by the way - JT

Mad Steve
06-08-2005, 04:12 PM
The potion shop near the 1st Quest location of Level 6 is still there--and still accessed by blasting the entrance with a bomb. In case you're wondering, from the 1st Quest Level 6 entrance, head south one screen, then east one screen. Go straight up between the two columns of Armos statues on the right, and blast the wall there.

There's another potion shop just one screen west of the 1st Quest entrance to Level 3. Simply burn the lone bush.

In case you're wondering where to get the letter, it's at the 1st Quest location of Level 4/2nd Quest location of Level 5. You'll need either the whistle or the raft to get it. Pretty evil, if you ask me...

I managed to beat the Official 3rd Quest by shoving a block in a 1-tile wide horizontal passageway in a dark room. I thought that I had already tried pushing every block in that room, but obviously I hadn't tried hard enough. :banghead: This does mean that the movable statue I found is, in fact, a red herring.

Now I'm having trouble in the Unofficial 3rd Quest version of Level 7. I have deduced that it is impossible to get through this level without buying a key...which costs 200 Rupees. And this time, I HAVE tried pushing every block, bombing every wall, and walking through every wall. None of these get me anywhere. Am I really going to have to fork over 200 for a lousy key? Or do some walls require super bombs to open? Or, as seems most likely, am I missing something else?

vegeta1215
06-09-2005, 02:15 AM
Now I'm having trouble in the Unofficial 3rd Quest version of Level 7. I have deduced that it is impossible to get through this level without buying a key...which costs 200 Rupees. And this time, I HAVE tried pushing every block, bombing every wall, and walking through every wall. None of these get me anywhere. Am I really going to have to fork over 200 for a lousy key? Or do some walls require super bombs to open? Or, as seems most likely, am I missing something else?

I ran into the same problem in level 7. That's the level shaped like an "M" right? I told AlphaDawg a while back that I thought a key was missing, but I don't know if he looked into it.

About super bombs - iirc there is a wall in level 9 that requires a super bomb. I think that's the only one in the dungeons. Fear not though, cause you can find two super bombs in level 9 and can purchase them from a hidden shop in a cave on your way to the level 9 entrance (cause apparantly that super bomb wall in level 9 closes back up - a glitch I think)

Mad Steve
06-10-2005, 01:00 AM
I eventually wound up having to buy TWO keys. That's 400 Rupees down the drain. :angry: :angry:

And I STILL can't get through the level! There are a few rooms near the northern corners that I haven't been to yet...largely because I haven't found any way to get into them. I've pushed blocks and statues, tried to walk through and blow up walls... :sonar: and NOTHING gets me into those rooms! I know the ones on the right are in the vicinity of the boss and Triforce rooms, so it would make sense to not have those accessible through blasting down and walking through walls. But the ones on the left...I can't get in those. Needless to say, I strongly suspect there is something absolutely vital in some of the rooms I can't reach. What is it, and how many people am I going to have to strangle out of frustration when I find out that I overlooked something ridiculously simple?

vegeta1215
06-10-2005, 01:51 AM
I remember one time I got stuck for a while and had to ask AlphaDawg for help - it was in regards to this old mans clue.

There's a clue in one of the dungeons that says, "Go back the way you came". Basically it meant that you have to go through a secret passage, and then try to go back, only this time the secret passage takes you to a different place. I can't remember which level that was in, but I think the level was blue colored.

Mad Steve
06-11-2005, 09:47 PM
That doesn't help in level 7, though, since it's gold. Oh well, I managed to get the Triforce out of there. I KNEW that sandy room was a little too conspicuous...

But that still leaves the issue of the rooms near the northwest corner. I still haven't been able to get in those. Do I really HAVE to get there? Or is there just something really nice? Or are they just there to drive me crazy?

LinkMaster500
06-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Mad Steve:

In the room in Level 7 that has Keese and two vertical columns of blocks, you can bomb the column on the right to destroy it and get to the room you couldn't access. You do not have to go there to beat the game, but had you done this, I think you would have been able to get a key rather than buying one. You can also find a heart piece.

I recently beat this quest, and I know that it is possible to do so without buying any keys.

Mad Steve
06-17-2005, 11:28 PM
A heart piece, you say? Well, guess I'd better go back!

By the way, I managed to clean out Level 8 without too much trouble. Love the music there, too! Now I'm wondering about the merchant who was robbed, and the mini-dungeon that requires a super bomb and the full Triforce to get in. All I've found in said mini-dungeon is a trio of Digdoggers and a fairy. Is there anything else in there? And just how do I help the merchant in question? Is it even possible? (Probably. :laughing: )

vegeta1215
06-18-2005, 02:06 AM
In the room in Level 7 that has Keese and two vertical columns of blocks, you can bomb the column on the right to destroy it and get to the room you couldn't access. You do not have to go there to beat the game, but had you done this, I think you would have been able to get a key rather than buying one. You can also find a heart piece.

Ah ha! That must be the heart piece I was missing! (and the key too) I think I didn't find that because there were no bombable blocks in the original Legend of Zelda, so I didn't think to try bombing any in the U3Q.

Level 9 is a doosy. The hidden level is fun too. Let me know if you guys beat them ;)

Mad Steve
06-20-2005, 01:41 AM
Sure would be nice if I could get to the hidden level and level 9. The problem, of course, is that I don't know how. I can't find Sahasrahla anywhere! Do I need anything that can't be obtained in the first 8 levels to find him? If I could find him, I could probably get to level 9 easily enough.

And what about the merchant I mentioned earlier? Do I have to help him? (My money's on yes.) And the mini-dungeon with the three (now-deceased) Digdoggers? In case you're wondering which mini-dungeon I'm talking about, it's the one that needs to be opened with a super bomb, and that won't let you get further than the first room without the full Triforce. The fairy in there doesn't seem to actually do anything. What's the point of going in there, aside from attempting suicide?

Mad Steve
06-23-2005, 04:42 AM
Hello? Anybody?

vegeta1215
06-23-2005, 10:46 AM
There is another exit in level 8 that will lead you to the overworld screens that take you to level 9 iirc. The part of the overworld that leads to level 9 is white and grey, like the graveyard area of the first Legend of Zelda. To get to the hidden level, you need the flippers. That's all I can say. ;)

I don't remember the merchant you're talking about.

looney linklord
06-23-2005, 05:48 PM
if you need help on UTQ then go to the downloads page and there should be an unpassworded UTQ called thrdquestreference or something like that

oops... it's not on the downloads page. sorry, i guess it was on alphadawgs website or something. all i know is that i found it somewhere

Mad Steve
06-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Wow. This quest seems to take all of the NES Zelda rules, get you re-acquainted with them, then shoots them all to hell right in front of you, doesn't it? Wild stuff, man...

With all this asking what to do, I feel like it's 1989 all over again!

Mad Steve
06-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Yay! I found Level 9! The boss rush before it was pretty cool. Then we have the welcome mat... :laughing:

Oh, and I LOVE the Mirror Shield. Suddenly, Wizzrobes--the most dangerous enemy around, in my opinion--are much less terrifying! They just kill themselves! :rofl:

And I got the Silver Arrows! I can beat Ganon easily enough now--assuming I can reach him. I think I can handle that.

And what better way to top off such an extreme quest than with Billy Joel's "I Go To Extremes"? :cool:

Ah, sweet quest. I still have a few questions, though.

1. Where is the Lens of Truth?
2. Since it costs 750 Rupees--and my current wallet only holds 500--where's the next wallet upgrade?
3. Where are the flippers?
4. Are any of the above actually needed to finish the game?

vegeta1215
06-23-2005, 11:26 PM
1. I can't remember
2. There's a screenshot of the cave with the merchant selling the lens of truth on AlphaDawg's page. You can see the square it's on if you look at the overworld map in that picture. I don't think you need it, but you will find more secrets that way. I can't remember where the wallet is though. I want to say it's in a cave south of level 4 - the baseball mound level - but that may be the power bracelet instead.
3. See number 1.
4. No, they're just for fun. btw, you get the Master Sword at the end of the bonus level. (it's better than the Magic Sword)

Mad Steve
06-24-2005, 01:45 AM
I think I found the wallet upgrade in Level 3.

It looks like I got the wallet upgrade's capacity wrong...because I just went over 500. At least that saves me a step and lets me get straight to the massive KILLING SPREE!!! :evil:

And I did figure out where the Lens was. Now it's just a simple matter of getting the cash, buying the Lens, then going on another KILLING SPREE!!! to get the cash to fuel its power.

vegeta1215
06-24-2005, 02:48 AM
I think I made most of my money fighting the Ghini's in the graveyard in the upper right corner of the overworld.

Although the really long thread myself and redtiger posted in about the U3Q has is long gone (it was pruned), I found two other U3Q threads while searching through ZC Discussion:
- http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=80943
- http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?p=592153 (SPOILER: BONUS LEVEL LOCATION REVEALED)

Mad Steve
06-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Well, I've checked those threads, and all I've gotten out of them is a one-in-three shot as to where the bonus level is. And knowing my luck, I'll end up having to take all three shots...which may all turn out to be way off the mark. Still, though, if I'm right, it's pretty darn diabolical to hide a dungeon entrance where I think he did...

Fat lot of good that does me, though, without any clue as to where the flippers are. I'm guessing that they can be found in the vicinity of either Turtle Rock or Level 8, as you don't really need the raft after that point. I've spent some time in that area, scanning stuff with the Lens of Truth, and--before I got the Lens--whistling and finding two staircases, both of which led to door repair. I'm going to kill that old man one of these days, I really am...uh...anyway, am I on the right track? Anywhere near it?

vegeta1215
06-24-2005, 12:43 PM
I think I remember where the flippers are...I think they are hidden in a cave/mini dungeon on the west side of the overworld. The screen is west of the big lake, and south of the part where you use the wand's fire to make a bridge appear.

If you want me to tell you where the bonus level is just ask. I don't mind. I took a wild guess as to where it was and wound up being right ;)

Mad Steve
06-24-2005, 02:17 PM
I think I know which mini-dungeon you're talking about...I just can't get past that freakin' fairy! Or should I be trying something else in there?

Mad Steve
06-25-2005, 01:02 AM
Let me see if it's the right mini-dungeon we're talking about here...

It's under a man-made structure of some kind, suspiciously flanked by two large trees. Bombing the man-made structure reveals four staircases, all of which lead to the same place...a mini-dungeon with overworld colors.

When I first found it, I couldn't get past the first room, due to an old man denying access. I figured I'd have to come back with the full Triforce to get him out of the way. I pick up the final piece, and return to the mini-dungeon. Lo and behold, the geezer's gone.

I proceed past his room to find myself trapped on a narrow strip of land, with four statues taking potshots at me while I engage in a dance of death with three Digdoggers. After a quick little tune on the whistle to get the tempo going, I proceeded to butcher the smaller critters they spawned. Doing so opened the doors.

I went through the north door, and found a fairy...that did absolutely NOTHING when I went up to her. I'm guessing I have to do something in that room. The question is, what? I've tried the boomerang, bombs, arrows (both varieties), the candle, the whistle, the bait, and the wand. I figure using any potion in this room is just a waste of a perfectly good potion. The Lens of Truth shows me nothing I can't see without it (probably because anything it would reveal is tantalizingly out of where the Lens can possibly show me from that little peninsula), and super bombs just mean an extra 25 Rupees going into the hands of the suspicious merchant in the cave to Level 8, without any progress in the mini-dungeon itself.

It's because nothing I tried did anything in there that I figured it might be a good place to try out the flippers, seeing as how there's plenty of water in the mini-dungeon. But if that's where you get the flippers in the first place...

vegeta1215
06-25-2005, 01:42 AM
Hmmm...I don't remember that room. Does the fairy restore your life? Have you tried bombing or walking through any of the walls? I may have to install ZC and go through the game and check it out.

UPDATE: Shoot. I thought AlphaDawg had a cheat for the U3Q, but I guess not. No way am I gonna play through that one again right now. Sorry man, just keep trying things, or maybe you can email AlphaDawg to see if he can help you.

Mad Steve
06-25-2005, 02:03 PM
The fairy, as mentioned earlier, does NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING.

Believe me, I'd try walking through or bombing the walls if I could reach the walls. Unfortunately, I can't reach the wall due to the fact that the only land I can walk on is a vertical strip two tiles wide (except in the old man's room, where there's a small horizontal strip to accommodate the fires, but that strip isn't long enough to let me reach the walls even if I use the ladder), and the rest is water. I can't get past the fairy, because the room she's in has only enough land for me to use the ladder to get on the same horizontal row she's on. There are two small islands off to the side, but they're in a place where I can't reach them. Even if I could reach them, there's nothing I could do on those islands.

So if you're thinking about a different mini-dungeon, then what's the point of this one?

vegeta1215
06-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Can you take a screenshot of the entrance to the mini dungeon and the room with the fairy? Maybe seeing it will help me remember.

Mad Steve
06-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Ah, if only I knew how...

Then again, I know I saw a screenshot option in the ZC control menu...but how would I post it here?

vegeta1215
06-26-2005, 02:46 AM
Actually, if are willing to, you can send me your save file and I can try to figure it out - it would take me quite a while to get to the point you're at.

btw, what version of ZC are you using? I played the U3Q on version 1.84, and on the ZC download page it is listed as 1.90 compatible. Not sure if using a later version would affect anything.

Mad Steve
06-26-2005, 01:57 PM
I've got 1.92. I think I could manage to send the save file--or at least a copy of it.

vegeta1215
06-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Yeah, if you wanna do that, you can attach it to an email. My address is [email protected]

Mad Steve
06-26-2005, 06:04 PM
E-mailed. Thanks for the help!

vegeta1215
06-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Man... I am stumped. I'm pretty sure that is the place, but like you, I tried everything.

There was one spot on the overworld where I remember finding a secret that you may not have found and got excited. En route to level 9 - one screen up and one screen right from the graveyard there is a circle of stones. if you defeat the Peahats, and blow the whistle while standing in the middle of the stones a stairway appears. But, it is only to a potion shop :( (it's a good shop though, so check it out)

One thing that I thought about was that maybe since you're not using ZC 1.90, which is what the U3Q is meant to run on, a glitch occrued? I don't know. Definitely try to email AlphaDawg and see what he says.

Mad Steve
06-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I actually found that potion shop. Always nice to be able to get half-price potions just before finishing the game.

Ten bucks says that the reason I can't do anything in that mini-dungeon is because I'm using version 1.92.

Mad Steve
06-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Okay, I tried to e-mail AlphaDawg using the e-mail address found on his site (and I of course deleted all of the capital letters at the front, like the site said to do), and I got a message in my e-mail telling me that it couldn't send the message to the address I requested. Maybe he has another e-mail address? Or maybe the e-mail program is just being hostile.

Mad Steve
06-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Bingo. I found the following in the 2.10 Bug topic at the Bug Center.

"- 1.90 Fairy Item bug (it is a bug that persisted since 1.92 even went out I think. Correct me if it is not a bug and was intentional. Any version after 1.90 have had the feature of fairies as the NPC giving an item removed. This results in having items that can never be gained in some 1.90 quests, making the quest unfinishable in most cases."

I KNEW I had seen something like this! The topic in question was what convinced me to take 1.92 over 2.10. Seems a shame they share this fairly major bug, though.

So it WAS the version I was using. Where's my ten bucks? :tongue:

vegeta1215
06-30-2005, 01:19 AM
I didn't see that bug post, but I thought playing it on a different version might've done it. Oh well. You'll just have to have fun playing through it all over again! ;)

Mad Steve
07-01-2005, 07:30 PM
So I downloaded 1.90, and after fiddling with the sound setup to get both the MIDI and the sound effects going at the same time, I notice that the music is a little out of step with itself, and the sound effects have a small--albeit tolerable--amount of static.

Maybe a better description of the music problem is needed. Sometimes, notes and percussion hits just don't play when they're supposed to, but rather about half a beat off from the rest of the music. Is this something that can be fixed, or something I'll have to get used to? Needless to say, I never had this issue in 1.92...