PDA

View Full Version : Authors Providing Help For Own Quests

LinkMaster500
06-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Would anyone recommend the quest author using the forums to provide help for his own quest? On one hand, it could help if everyone is stumped, but it could also spoil the fun of playing the quest.

Orion
06-05-2005, 05:11 PM
I usually don't like providing much help for the quests I create. I feel that if I spend the time to put puzzles together, I want the players to have fun solving them for themselves, not looking up how to get through it. Where is the fun in that?

Sephiroth
06-05-2005, 05:32 PM
I usually don't like providing much help for the quests I create. I feel that if I spend the time to put puzzles together, I want the players to have fun solving them for themselves, not looking up how to get through it. Where is the fun in that?
I agree with Orion. Where's the fun if you write up game faqs for your quests? I mean.. O_O.. ugh.. never mind.

Shoelace
06-05-2005, 05:45 PM
I think it should be up to them, if they want to help out or not. Either way, you know someone that already played the game should be able to help you.

elise
06-05-2005, 07:40 PM
If you aren't stuck in a quest you don't look for help.
If you are stuck in a quest it's nice you can get some help.
I always find it nice if a designer stays around to help , I hate to stop a quest just because I can't solve a puzzle or find a level .

LinkMaster500
06-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Here's probably what designers should do:

If many people have the same question about a quest, wait a while to see if someone who has played it or is currently playing it finds out the answer. Otherwise the designer should go ahead and post the answer.

Of course, just posting answers every time a question about their quest comes up ruins the fun of playing quests--especially difficult ones.

elise
06-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Linkman500
If you wait to long with help a player just stops playing the quest
You don't have to post the answere if you don't want to , you can also send a pm
But a player only comes to look for an answere if he or she is stuck
If I have to wait a week for an answere I already moved on to another quest.

LinkMaster500
06-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Elise
It does make sense that people would only post requests for quest help when they are stuck. My concern is that there may be some quest players will will request help without spending much time trying to figure things out themselves. Of course, when you don't personally know these people, you can't know how long they spent trying to find something (a level, a specific item etc...)

And a week is a good enough time to wait before posting. Plus, a player can use the edit feature to say something like "I found it, never mind" in the forums if they figured something out.

elise
06-07-2005, 08:07 PM
If you follow the questions thread you see very quickly who asks many questions and who doesn't , if you release a quest and I ask a question please respond within a week or you lose me as a player of your quest , I don't ask many Questions :)
and if you don't want to have a puzzlesolution to soon on the forum PM the solution to the one who ask the question , and make a posting that you send a PM that way it stays a secret a little longer ;)

LinkMaster500
06-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is this PM thing you talk about, and does it require some kind of special account or software?

elise
06-08-2005, 06:31 AM
It's a private message you can send to members on the board.
It's like an email but stays here on the site.
You can send most members one just look in theire profile .
You disabled yours but if you look in my profile ( by clicking on my name)
you can see it.

LinkMaster500
06-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Elise:

How do you turn on private messages, so you can send or receive them?

Also, does a PM go to someone's regular e-mail inbox?

elise
06-08-2005, 11:23 AM
In your user cp you can choose to edit options
there you can enable the PM and save after you made the change
The pm stays here you can see on the top right if you have a message
and read it here
You can choose to get an email from the board that tells you you have one
but the PM it self you have to read here.
If you want to get it on your own PC
you can sent it there but you have to do that yourself.

LinkMaster500
06-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Else:

I got it all figured out. I even sent a test PM to myself to verify that I know how to send and receive them.

Thanks for all the help

elise
06-09-2005, 08:10 AM
no problem
I only thought should I wait a week to answere him , or should I answere him now .......... :tongue: :laughing: