PDA

View Full Version : Paper Mario TTYD help...

Archibaldo
06-05-2005, 03:11 PM
So I've reached the final boss of the game the sahodow witch thing. I've tried all kinds of strategies I've found on websites and none of them work. Any body here have any advice? Like what level I should be at, what partner I should use?

vegeta1215
06-06-2005, 12:59 AM
Two word's: Vivian's Veil.

UPDATE: I guess I should give you more than that, but really Vivian's Veil is what helped me. I would suggest fighting regularly, and using Vivian with Mario as a last resort. What I would do is fight as Mario and then use her Veil, making you both hide in the ground and unable to be hit for a round.

Other recommendations are using badges that boost your attack and lower her defense. Here's what I suggest:

Offense:
- Power Bounce (unlimited jumps until you miss an action command)
- Soft Stomp (to lower her defense)
- Jumpman (can't use hammer, but jump does more damage)
- Power Plus (any you have, on Mario and partner)
- All or Nothing (if you are good at action commands, this will make your attacks more powerful. But if you miss, you do no damage)

Defense:
- Feelin' Fine badges (on both Mario and Partner)
- Defense Plus Badges (one on both Mario and Partner at least)

Also, be sure to use your specials to heal! And use Power Lift to give your team a boost in offense and defense.

Hmm what else...the other partners are great - Koops is good all around though his Shell Shield isn't very effective. Goombella (don't forget to Tattle!) is great cause she jumps like Mario, and her Rally Wink gives Mario an extra turn. Yoshi's stampede is awesome (that's what I used to beat that X-Naut's leader), Ms Mowz has her Love Slap which pierces defense. And Bobbery...Bobbery is a tank! Put him in front, and use him wisely. He's who I used to beat Bonetail at the bottom of the Pit of 100 trials.

Oh yeah, having an HP Plus badge on your partner will help them stay alive longer since the badge boosts every partner, and some partners like Koops iirc have low HP - like 25 HP. Good luck!

Archibaldo
06-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Ms. Mowz? Where did you get her?

Also, I tried it with Vivian's veil, but it takes away your turn too. She attacks and misses, then when you come up, she attacks again. Also, what level were you at when you beat her?

vegeta1215
06-06-2005, 12:59 PM
To get Ms Mowz you have to solve a certain problem at the Trouble Center in Rogueport. It's the one that involves finding a certain badge. Ms Mowz is a neat and funny character, but not a very terrific fighter, even though some of her moves are helpful.

I can't remember what level I was at... what level are you at? If you managed to beat Grodus and Bowser then you should be fine (I had trouble with them). I did have all my partners leveled up to the max though, and I can't emphasize enough how important those Defense Plus badges are.

I forgot the Shadow queen does two attacks per turn sometimes, so Vivian's Veil move only blocks one. But like I said, I used that technique as a last resort - still, I also managed to pummel the Shadow Queen with Mario each turn to make up for not attacking with Vivian.

Carrying some good items with you may help too. If you mix an Ultra Shroom with a Jammin Jelly (Zest T in Rogueport will do it for you if you got it so she can mix two items - solve her Trouble Center problem for that), you will make a Jelly Ultra, which restores 50 HP and 50 FP. Also near the dock on the pirate island, there is a whacka-mole guy - if you bop him, the item he gives will restore 20 HP and 20 FP. You can bop him multiple times before he stops giving you the item (you may have to leave the screen and come back). Don't exhaust your supply of those though, cause you'll need them for the Pit of 100 trials for sure.

UPDATE: Oh yeah! Practive doing Stylish attacks. This will fill up your Star Meter more quickly, so you can heal your party and attack Shadow Queen (Art Attack is a good one). There's a badge that when equipped puts a little "!" on the screen when you're supposed to do the stylish action - that is helpful for learning your partner's stylish timing.

Kairyu
06-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Save Vivian's Viel for the Queen's Shadow Shockwave attack (The one that has to be charged for a turn). Consider putting your partner in front if Mario is having trouble staying alive. Make sure you've completed all the Trouble Center requests and have gotten all the items at least up to level 50 in the Pit of 100 Trials (The level 50 item in particular is essential).

I don't think I used any Defense Plus badges, but I did have some Power Plus badges and All or Nothing. Either way, Mario was really hurting by the end, so some Defense Plus might be a good idea. Bring Power Smash- it does loads of damage, and you can get up to four Stylish bonuses from one attack.

punkonjunk1024
06-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Hm... I beat it with just simple strategy, and I had not gone through any of the pit of trials. well, like 10 of them when I could first access it. Thinking about it now, I should go back and do that.
But yeah, vivian rules.

Ganondork
06-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Here's the stratagy I used:

Badges:
As many as possible
Stats
MAx everything if possible
Partner:
Bobbery
Stratagy:
Generaly, If you have all of the badges on you, you will take almost no damage, so just keep using springjump and bobomb blast with bobbery. You should Be able to dish out 20 damage per turn.

Archibaldo
06-07-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm going to try again, it's just I don't want to go all the way back to Rogue Port. And the pit of 100 trials is just sooo long.

Kairyu
06-08-2005, 08:44 AM
It's long, but you only really need the item on floor 50. It doubles the size of your item bag, so you can carry twenty items at a time.
Make sure you're comfortable with the badges you bring in.
You may want to keep Vivian out of combat until she's needed for dodging attacks. That way, you can let other allies take some damage instead.
I seem to remember most of her attacks were really hard to dodge correctly, so don't worry about that too much.
I don't remember if it damages her, but if it does, try out the Zap Tap badge.

Archibaldo
06-09-2005, 02:42 PM
I managed to beat her. I was at lvl 28. I went back and bought a bunch of Ultra Mushrooms and a bunch of new badges. Turns out I only really needed one mushroom. I kept Bobbery out front untill he went down, Then I brought out Koops and beat her. THe main problem I had I guess was that I kept using the hammer when I should have been using the jump. It's way more effective.

vegeta1215
06-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Glad to hear it :D

Now that you've beaten her, you still lots to do!
- Getting all the badges
- Getting all the recipes
- Getting all the star pieces
- Getting all the tattles
- Solving everyone's problems at the trouble center
- Fighting through the Glitz Pit a second time (easy)
- And finally, going through The Pit of 100 trials! (not easy)

When you're ready to take on The Pit, let me know if you have trouble. I may have some advice for you. ;)

deathbyhokie
06-09-2005, 05:16 PM
damn pit of 100 trials. tried going through ti at lvl 31. too kme till the 80th floor before i started getting more than 1exp per battle. and then i died within 5 floors.

algam86
06-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Always remember Star Power. If you're hurt, try using Sweet Feast if your HP or FP run low...That, and you always have Supernova, which does 15 HP to all enemies for 6 SP... And the Stylish tip is nice, too. That badge (Timing Tutor) can be bought from the fat guy with the big mustache in Rogueport... But I'm already a Stylish master, so...
Try Damage Dodge in the 100 trials pit, since if you block it, you take an extra point less (for 2 less points), and it only takes 2 BP. Me and my cousin got through it at Level 26, I think. Just bring a lot of good healing Items (Whacka's Bumps are nice if you haven't used them all, and they're free).

vegeta1215
06-10-2005, 01:56 AM
I was really struggling in the Pit of 100 trials when I got to level 80 something. The enemies were a lot harder and I was running out of healing items. Thankfully in the 90s sometimes Amazee Dayzees (the golden sun flower guys) appear in battle, and if you can beat them, they give you lots of experience. I leveled up like 2-3 times in the 90s, which really saved my butt.

Archibaldo
06-10-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm going to try the pit when I gain a couple more levels. It's just sooo long. Right now I'm trying to solve all the problems. Right now, I'm working on getting the key for that Garth guy. Does any body know where it is?