PDA

View Full Version : NES Help

Dechipher
06-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Alright, so I have 3 NES's. One flashes Maroon. It used to work, except the teeth didn't work, so I put in another game to hold it down, but it doesn't work anymore, though I fixed the teeth. The other one flashes blue. It used to work, but hasn't been played in two years. It flashes blue every game. The last one flashes black, but I got it to work last night and today, and before, it just takes a long ass time to get a game to work.

My question is how, if possible, can I get the first two to work, and how can I make the third work reliably?

Also, I just got the game "Yoshi" for the NES...I've never heard of it, and as you know, I can't play it, so does anyone know anything about this game?

firebug
06-03-2005, 04:14 PM
You probly need new 72-pin connectors. You can find them on ebay for pretty cheap, though you usually have to buy bundles. Yoshi is a puzzle game. Kind of like a mix between the tetris and the panic bomber type of gameplay.

http://search.ebay.com/72-pin-NES-connector_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

Dechipher
06-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Alright. I've heard that one a couple of times. Are there any other ways?

Also, what would be the best way to clean the games? I have a NES cleaning system, so that's no problem, I just need a method for the games.

vegeta1215
06-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Getting a new 72 pin connector is the best way. That's what I did, and now my NES plays like new. The only other method I've read to "fix" a blinking NES is to use an NES Game Genie - apparantly the Game Genie makes much better contact with the pins than regular games :shrug:

About cleaning carts, I bought a cartridge cleaning kit at this video game store that works great on all kinds of carts. (man were my SNES games dirty!) I think the cleaning solution it uses may just be rubbing alcohol. You can try putting rubbing alcohol onto some Q-tips to clean the contacts (metal pieces) in the cart. Just be sure to dry them off afterwards with dry Q-Tips.

Vagla
06-03-2005, 07:18 PM
You can open up your NES and bend the connector pins in such a way that they make better contact with the carts. I've not tried it on my NES yet (though I've been meaning to), but the method on this site should work for you: http://www.classicgaming.com/features/articles/nesrepair/. Good luck.

Ganonator
06-03-2005, 08:07 PM
a couple of years ago, i had totally took the thing apart to try to fix the 72-pin, but at that point, there was actually part of it disconnected from the motherboard. I had to scrap the entire thing. :(

However, I just bought a yobo (http://www.toysnjoys.com/fc.html) at e3 for 20 bucks, and it plays all of my NES games as if they were new. If you get desperate, you could always buy one of those!

MottZilla
06-04-2005, 01:53 AM
NeoFami is quite nice, I recommend getting one that can play both FC and NES games. ;) FC games had so many superior memory mappers.

Dechipher
06-04-2005, 05:26 PM
I traded in two of my nonworking NES and paid 60 bucks for an NES with a new reciever unit, so I have one that (believe it or not) pretty much works all the time.
I kept one NES though, so I might fiddle around with it to see if I can get it to work.

AlexMax
06-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Don't those "NES on a chip" type systems have terrible sound emulation?