PDA

View Full Version : A Few questions

Thehappy
06-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Ok, first of all, how do you "Rip" tiles?

Could somebody give me a brief explanation of how to make cutscenes? like, 1. do this 2. do this 3. do this.

And finally, what are all those red squares at the bottom of the map making palette thing for? can you put something there?

SomUnknown
06-02-2005, 11:46 PM
LTM’s Extraordinary Zelda Quest Tutorial! (http://www.zcworld.net/filemanager/Users/LTM/Tutorial/Page09.htm)

Cutsceens

I’m now getting to the big stuff. Cutsceens can be very complex and at times be very hard to work with. Cutsceens usually require a lot of timed warps or side warps depending on the person how is making them. I will focus on both.
Timed Warp Cutsceens

The major benefit of a timed warp cutsceen is that it makes it smoother. Make your first screen in the cutsceen. As a demo, have two people, one above the other, with the bottom facing left, so I advise an enemy or link. You should probably use layers for the people, unless they fit into the background. You will need to do some tile editing to have the bottom person half on one combo, half on another, but have it facing left and as if they’re walking. Make the second screen as the walking person ½ a combo to the left using the 2 ½ combos. Leave the other person as they were. Go to the third screen. Have the walking person onto the new area, so in total, they moved 1 combo. Now, make 2 more rooms to have him walking a total of 2 combos.

Go back to the first screen. Make the background solid, so the player doesn’t do anything. Then, set the player’s entrance in the solid area. Make a dmap for this area and set it to “cutsceen”. Set the side warp to the next screen and the tile warp as insta-warp. Go to screen data and for timed warp tics, put in “10”. Do the same things about the timed warp tics and the side warps to the next screens. This cutsceen should have the walking person moving automatically. To make the player invisible make the screens have “invisible link” and possibly no subscreen.
Side Warp Cutsceens

These are best if you don’t want a smooth animation and you are going to talk a lot between animations. This allows the player to go at their own pace and don’t have to be rushed by the screen warping at the end of the strings. To set this, put the player starting point at the bottom, and surround their entrance with solid areas, so they don’t walk around the whole screen. For this, put Link facing up at the master sword. Make a message string with something like “Hey! Isn’t that the Master Sword? I’m going to go get it!” Make this as the string for the room. Have the person as fire, which, if you have something like the Pure set, is invisible specifically for cutsceens. For the next screen, have Link holding up the Master Sword and the string as “Yes! I got it!” Again have the player in a little box at the bottom.

Normally, you would actually give the player the master sword, but it would be covered up by layers, but, for this, let’s just go with the flow, as this is an example. Make both screens have no cutsceens and have both have invisible links. Set the side warp of the first cutsceen go the next and the side warp be at the bottom. The side warp can be insta-warp. That’s it.

Just remember, don’t make it so the cutsceens will occur every time the player goes to that area. They can become very long annoying. If you want one-time only cutsceens, then you will have to learn it by your own tricks, or do it after a triforce, as each of those only occur once in the game.

Here you go for cut scenes.

Spudnickator
06-03-2005, 09:40 AM
I have no idea what you mean by 'rip' tiles

Cutscenes are complicated but fun once you get the hang of it.

if you right click on the red squares, a box will appear, at the top there should be a black square (the toppest and most to the left one) click on it and the tile screen comes up, click on one of them and that red square becomes that tile! easy eh?

Thehappy
06-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Awesome. Thanks, both of you. And, I think ripping tiles means taking a random picture and turning it into tiles in the game.