PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars -vs- Star Trek

MrCow
06-02-2005, 01:20 PM
12. In the Star Wars universe, weapons are rarely, if ever, set on 'stun'.

11.The enterprise needs a huge engine room with an anti-matter unit and a crew of 20 just to go into warp -- the Millenium Falcon does the same thing with R2-D2 and a Wookie.

10. After resisting the Imperial torture droid and Darth Vader, Princess
still looks fresh and desirable -- after pithy Cardassian starvation torture, Picard looks like hell.

9.Jabba the Hutt would eat Harry Mudd for trying to cut in on his action.

8. Luke Skywalker is not obsessed with sleeping with every alien he encounters.

7. One word: lightsabers!

6.The Federation would have to attempt to liberate any ship named Slave I.

5.The Death Star doesn't care if the Earth is class M or not.

4. Darth Vader could choke the entire Borg empire with one glance.

3. Picard pilots the Enterprise through an asteroid belt at one-quarter inpulse power. Han Solo floors it.

2. Aliens have make-up in other places than their foreheads.

1. Death Star vs. Enterprise!

Glitch
06-02-2005, 01:34 PM
pwned.

10 characters.

ShadowTiger
06-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Indeed. Seven Characters. (*lol*, J/K. :p ) ... (I mean, .. you know. :sweat: )

7. One word: lightsabers!
Twenty Four Words:

Phaser Pistols.
Phaser Rifles.
Romulan Disrupters.
Klingon Bat'leths.
Federation Assault Rifles.
Portable Quantum Torphedo Launchers.
Tetryon FREAKIN Gatling Guns!!!!
Radiation Guns... Oh Dear Sweet Lord! :eek:

Gotta love the weaponry.

MrCow
06-02-2005, 02:11 PM
well I never got into star wars, I was big into The next generation and voyager. I just stole this off another place and shared with you all. <3 star trek TNG

ShadowTiger
06-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, me too. :p I miss Voyager so much. Thank god they haven't take it completely off the air yet. (I think it's still on, 6:00 EST UPN Sunday Nights. But that's only here on LI, NY. =/ )

MrCow, definitely invest in the Star Trek: Elite Force series for the PC. Those games will make you happier than a fly in a beehive. Or some similarly poorly constructed analogy. They're dirt cheap too. Precisely inverse to their quality. :D I love it.

EDIT: Thanks, MrCow, but I don't have cable.

EDIT1.5: Farscape DVD's are lost in the mail. ... Crap.

Breaker
06-02-2005, 02:42 PM
FARSCAPE. Wynona can pwn a lightsaber.

MrCow
06-02-2005, 02:48 PM
bh4 they still show TNG twice a day right in a row on Spike TV. forget the exact time may be 2pm and 3 pm

MacWeirdo42
06-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Hell, why choose one or the other when you can have both? That's my philosophy. And Spike TV is God when it comes to Star Trek. Two hours of DS9 followed by two hours of TNG... Doesn't get any better than that if you're bored and like Star Trek. I still think, though, that a Jedi would have problems deflecting a phaser (though I suppose it's not entirely impossible, as Mace deflected a laser weapon in Clone Wars).

Strider1982
06-02-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm a huge Trek fan, especially of TNG and DS9. I'd buy all the seasons of DS9 on DVD if they weren't $100 to $110 each.

However, there's one huge difference I notice when it comes to the galactic rules in the worlds of Trek and Wars:

Star Trek: All captains obey the Prime Directive and refuse to get involved in extraterrestrial affairs. Picard, Kirk, Sisko, Janeway and all other Trek honchos spend many episodes in heated arguments with their arch-foes before finally finishing them off.

Star Wars: Confronted by the alien bounty hunter Greedo, Han Solo doesn't give a crap about diplomacy. He calmly zaps Greedo in cold blood (in the non-Special Edition of Episode IV).

I think both ST and SW have their ups and downs. I like both series for different reasons.

Starkist
06-02-2005, 03:47 PM
I used to like Star Trek better than Star Wars. This was in the age when all the Star Wars we had were the originals, and the special editions. Star Trek was Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, the good movies. Then it all changed. Phantom Menace was released. Deep Space Nine went off the air. The movies started to suck. Voyager showed how to waste potential. Come 2002, as I eagerly awaited the release of Attack of the Clones, I realized something had changed. I was no longer the Star Trek fan I once was. I was first and foremost a Star Wars fan.

(Until December when I became a Lord of the Rings fan of course.)

Jigglysaint
06-02-2005, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=Starkist]...Phantom Menace was released. .QUOTE]

Actually at about that time, I believe Phantom Menace was called..

Sorry, inside joke.

Manny
06-02-2005, 04:42 PM
well, I've never ever been a sci-fi fan ever. I hate sci-fi, probably my least favorite genre, but I do love Star Wars, there is something mystical and noble about it that I can't explain. The music, the characters, the aliens, the folklore. It's like a medieval adventure set in a futuristic environment with a great plot. And though this new trilogy I've been kind of iffy on (the plots aren't as good as they used to, and sometimes they feel sorta...rushed I want to say; while the action scenes have totally blown me away).
Star Trek, on the other hand, has never done it for me. I can't get into it at all. (I don't watch TV to begin with) From what I've seen, the creativity just isn't up to par with Star Wars, and I'm not a big fan of the characters. The aliens don't look at all creative. It just doesn't have this enchanting feel that Star Wars has.
To each his own though
cheers,
-manny

Jigglysaint
06-02-2005, 05:03 PM
well, I've never ever been a sci-fi fan ever. I hate sci-fi, probably my least favorite genre, but I do love Star Wars, there is something mystical and noble about it that I can't explain. The music, the characters, the aliens, the folklore. It's like a medieval adventure set in a futuristic environment with a great plot. And though this new trilogy I've been kind of iffy on (the plots aren't as good as they used to, and sometimes they feel sorta...rushed I want to say; while the action scenes have totally blown me away).
Star Trek, on the other hand, has never done it for me. I can't get into it at all. (I don't watch TV to begin with) From what I've seen, the creativity just isn't up to par with Star Wars, and I'm not a big fan of the characters. The aliens don't look at all creative. It just doesn't have this enchanting feel that Star Wars has.
To each his own though
cheers,
-manny

I have to agree. I never got into Star Trek, but I do like Star Wars. It's what the movie emphasises. Star Trek is like all about tricorders and "set phasers on stun" and Pikachuard quoting shakespear, and all that crap. Star Wars is about lightsabers, the Force, Yoda, Ewocks(okay, maybe that last one should have never been), ect. Both take place in the future, but Star Wars just has that edge I like in an action show. Also, Yoda kicks ass! When was the last time you saw a muppet dueling the very incarnation of evil?

Starkist
06-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Ahem. Star Wars takes place in the past. "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."

Star Trek is sci-fi. Star Wars is fantasy. It may not seem like it to the layman, but they are in two completely different genres.

Rainman
06-02-2005, 05:37 PM
I like Star Trek far more because it deals with social and intellectual issues. Star Wars isn't nearly as intellectual and deals with "spiritual" and otherworldly forces. Star wars is probably better for action though.

Beldaran
06-02-2005, 05:43 PM
I like Star Trek far more because it deals with social and intellectual issues. Star Wars isn't nearly as intellectual and deals with "spiritual" and otherworldly forces. Star wars is probably better for action though.

Which is why, in my opinion, Enterprise wasn't such a great show. They tried a standard western action formula on a series that is loved primarily by science nerds and intellectuals (and LOTS of intellectual-wannabes). The show became more boobs and guns than ideas and moral conflicts. Don't get the wrong idea, I fully support both boobs and guns, but they are not why I and many others watched Star Trek.

Starkist
06-02-2005, 05:49 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/st/gallery/images/340/toskirkgirl3.jpghttp://www.sherylfranklin.com/images/trek/women/classic/uhura_kirk.jpghttp://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~curtdan/Excelsior/RandKirk_Big.jpg

Indeed.

Bartman
06-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Starwars Rocks!, if ur a jedi, all u need is a lightsaber

Anthus
06-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Star Wars all the way...

Star trek was cool, but Star Wars was sexier...

I can't stand "Andramoda"... It is the biggest knock off of both of them...

DarkDragoonX
06-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Starkist, that last post was awesome.

Personally, I don't think Star Trek came ito it's own until TNG. BUt TNG is far, far better than Star Wars could ever hope to be. I've never cared too much for DS9 and Enterprise, though.

EWild
06-02-2005, 10:15 PM
I like Deep Space Nine, a lot.

Beldaran
06-02-2005, 11:41 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/st/gallery/images/340/toskirkgirl3.jpghttp://www.sherylfranklin.com/images/trek/women/classic/uhura_kirk.jpghttp://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~curtdan/Excelsior/RandKirk_Big.jpg

Indeed.

Well, yes. The original show begat the western action in space philosophy, which was Rodenberry's original idea. Enterprise was supposed to harken back to the days of Kirk and green alien women. However, I think the show was at it's best during The Next Generation, when ideas were at the core of the best episodes.

But thanks for trying to make me look stupid. :cool:

Orion
06-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Oh wow, you guys are such sci fi geeks.

Just like me.

Manny
06-02-2005, 11:56 PM

another reason why I like star wars better. I'm not an intellectual, but I'm more into the spiritual feel on issues. It's the way I feel about life. Intellectual stuff has never come across to me as interesting, which is another reason I can't get into the show.
-manny

Verman
06-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Its hard to compare them really. They are basically about different things...

Star Trek seems to have a much more broad bunch of stories, basically anything can happen. (such as the borg, that traveler dude, and just a bunch of wierd stuff.)

Star Wars seems to have a more defined story, its certainly darker then star trek. It has mercenaries and bars and the like.

It's hard to compare them!

When it comes down to comparing ships, The enterprise could take out a star destroyer, those star destoyers have really shitty shields! haha! Who knows though...

Oh yeah! Don't forget one thing that makes the Star Trek universe better then the Star wars universe, Q!!! He is the best!

Remember Babylon 5? The show sort of sucked but it had a bunch of kick ass ships in it, like the shadows and that big world destoryer thing! :D

MacWeirdo42
06-03-2005, 10:14 AM
I would also like to add that combat in Star Trek is fairly boring, generally speaking. Basically, the ships just sit there, one fires at the other, the other fires back, etc. until one of them gets blown up. Pretty lame, in my opinion. Not nearly as impressive as Star Wars, what with the fighters and whatnot. Then again, since Star Trek isn'tr really supposed to be about the fighting (well, when it's good it isn't), you can't really hold that against it.

On a related note, I would like to add that I hate whenever any sci-fi series resorts to the old "guns and boobs" thing. God, even Sliders did that eventually, and Sliders used to be one of my favorite shows ever.

Beldaran
06-03-2005, 01:40 PM
I would also like to add that combat in Star Trek is fairly boring, generally speaking. Basically, the ships just sit there, one fires at the other, the other fires back, etc. until one of them gets blown up.

It's pretty much the same as an RPG. Do you like turn based RPG's?

Starkist
06-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Deep Space Nine is my favorite of the trek series'. The combat is superior, with "tough little ship" Defiant swooping around and blowing up anything in its way. It is more about mysticism than the other series, whereas Next Generation was a reflection of Roddenberry's late life bland atheism. Also, DS9 had the best mix of supporting characters. There were half a dozen outside characters such as Garak and Dukat who all got more development and screentime than the regulars on the recent Enterprise.

Strider1982
06-03-2005, 03:53 PM
I'd have to agree with you there. DS9 had the best supporting characters and overall character development of any of the Trek installments.

Archibaldo
06-03-2005, 04:46 PM
I could never really get into Star Trek. I found it kinda boring. Plus when I first watched Star Trek, I had already seen the original Star Wars so...

A little question, Star Trek fans are Trekkies but what are Star Wars fans?

Rainman
06-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Next Generation was a reflection of Roddenberry's late life bland atheism.
Yeah, that's why I liked it too. :D

Actually Roddenberry wasn't just a bland atheist, he was a secular humanist, which is a philosophy I heavily agree with. That's probably why I find the philosophy of Star Trek so intriguing.

I just watched two episodes of TNG actually yesterday. My brother and I both agreed that it had little to do with space and it was just a setting for the characters to interact in.

Axel
06-05-2005, 03:59 AM
One of the reasons I didn't like DS9 was the spiritualism. For one thing it was rather poorly incorporated, poorly explained, and somewhat annoying. For another, whenever he donned the role of "Emmisary," Sisko, usually grim and badass, became a panzy. I always preffered him as Commander Sisko, C.O. of Deep Space Nine; than as Benjamin Sisko, emissary to the Prophets. Of course, DS9 did have one of my favorite Star Trek characters of all time: Dr. Julian Bashiir. Outdone only by Lt. Commander Data.
However, I'll give you that the combat was more impressive in DS9. But that's how it works. The Enterprise is a heavy cruiser and whenever it got into a fight it did what they do, slug it out. Unless it was fighting something weaker, which usually ran like hell. Anyway, the Defiant's combat scenes were nothing next to the Delta Flier's. That was a cool little ship.

And, hey, Star Trek did have mercenaries. Don't you remember the episode were Picard ended up undercover as a member of a mercenary group? That was one excellent episode. And there were the Maquis which, although not mercs, were deffinitely irregulars.

Enterprise had its good episodes. Most of them were in the first two seasons and had the major character conflicts. Travis faces the freighter crews who consider him a traitor, Archer faces moral dillemas about interfering in alien cultures, Malcom has to cope with Archer's less than regulation way of dealing with things, T'Pol faces her preconceptions of telepaths, Hoshi faces her fear of everything. They was all good. But some idiot at Paramount came up with that Xindi crapola....

BTW: Starkist, that was TV's first interracial kiss.