PDA

View Full Version : Which should I get?

Vipershark
06-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Okay, I am going on a trip this summer. I have saved up $190. That's enough to get me a DS with 1 game. When the DS came out, I didn't have enough money for it so I started saving. When the PSP came ou, I kept saving twoards (sp) it. But anyway, by the time we go on the trip, I won't have enough for a PSP. I am going on a 12 hour plane ride, and I wa wondering if I should get the DS to keep me comopany,or should I just take my gameboy and keep saving? (I really wan mario DS, it's fun but i'm not sure if I should get it.) So, which should I get?

Darth Marsden
06-01-2005, 09:51 AM
From what I can tell, the best game on the DS right NOW is Wario Ware Touched!, so if you're not into the whole Wario Ware thing, you'll probably want to keep your Game Boy. Super Mario DS is, apparently, a decent enough port, but with fairly sloppy controls, so the N64 original is probably your best bet. Unless, of course, you like Pokemon, in which case you should just leap out of the place somewhere over the Atlantic.

DarkDragoonX
06-01-2005, 09:59 AM
I find Mario DS to be highly entertaining, myself. Never had any problems with the controls. The DS has a strong fall lineup, and a couple choice games coming out this summer (LUNAR Genesis, baby!).

Anyway, if you really like the PSP, I would reccommend just taking your gameboy and continue saving. If you really like the DS, buy a DS.

linkofzelda1
06-01-2005, 11:41 PM
I have both a DS and a PSP. I would reccommend the PSP by far. The DS is a decent system and has great potential with the touchscreen, but there aren't any good games out right now, and none that I have seen in the near future are going to be any good either. By the time you wait for good DS games come out, though, you will probably have enough money for a PSP, so... Your choice. ;)

As for Mario DS, the controls aren't too bad. It was obviously better on the system it was designed for, but it works just fine on the DS.

Hope this helps.

AlexMax
06-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Gat a Gameboy Advance SP if you don't already have one. Both the DS and PSP have borderline abysmal software libraries.

MottZilla
06-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I agree with AlexMax, both DS and PSP have really weak libraries. I would say DS has a better library, but it's still pretty small. You might be better off getting a GBASP (maybe you have one already) and a bunch of good game cartridges. NDS and PSP for someone like you with likely limited funds to spend on gaming shouldn't both with them this early on. Wait till they are cheaper or atleast there have better games.

TheNewLink
06-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Personally, I'd recommend the DS, but I don't have a PSP. Two screens, one with touch. Great potential. SM64DS doesn't have sloppy controls; you can use the control pad. You might want to wait and see if the DS's price will go down, as the best (Metroid Prime: Hunters full version, FF3DS, FF:CC, Lunar Genesis) is yet to come. There are some good, addictive puzzle games out there, though, if that genre interests you; try Polarium or maybe Meteos.

The PSP has slightly better graphics, but pretty bad battery life, and everything for it is more expensive. Just get a DS, get addicted to a puzzler (Pac-Pix and WarioWare could be good, too), and wait for the coming of the RPGs.

vegeta1215
06-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Don't forget that the DS plays GBA games - it can't do multiplayer ones, but it can do all the others.

Sure, the DS doesn't have a big library of games for itself yet, but there are some good ones coming in the fall as someone said. Until then, you could play the few good ones out for the DS now, and play GBA games.

EDIT: A while back I was reading Mak-X's gaming blog, and he says the DS screen is a good deal brighter than the screen on the GBA SP, and that GBA games play great on it.

Ganondork
06-02-2005, 08:16 PM
You should get Feel the Magic XY/XX.

That game will keep you entertained with it's insane touch and mic. action to keep you occupied for months, and years afterward.

(also, if you poke a girl on the touch screen in the "right" place, something special will happen)
And I don't care about your opinion, well, if you have one, thats Great! But don't waste your time telling it to me. I dont care what you say! Feel th Magic is the best DS game out right now!

Grasshopper
06-02-2005, 11:13 PM
These types of topics are always hard to get a good response from. I would think, to be honest, that you're hoping people will say what you want them to say. But that usually isn't the case, most people will give their own opinions, such as not getting either, and I doubt thats what you really want to hear. ;)

Both systems cost quite a bit of cash. And if its taken you about 6 months to save up enough, I'm sure you want to make a good choice. I say you not consider the system, but the games that are suppose to be coming out soon. If there is more for one than the other that you will be wanting to play, get it.

Get whatever you want to play. A gameboy is just as good as any portable system, but if you really want Super Mario DS, then get the DS. :)

Darth Marsden
06-03-2005, 04:13 PM
I have both a DS and a PSP. I would reccommend the PSP by far. The DS is a decent system and has great potential with the touchscreen, but there aren't any good games out right now, and none that I have seen in the near future are going to be any good either. By the time you wait for good DS games come out, though, you will probably have enough money for a PSP, so... Your choice. ;)

As for Mario DS, the controls aren't too bad. It was obviously better on the system it was designed for, but it works just fine on the DS.

Hope this helps. Yeah, but can you WALK? Not run, but walk. Not with the control pad, that's for certain.

Incidentally, I completely forgot that the DS can play GBA games (Oops... some Nintendo fanboy I am), so if you've got a good range of GBA games you'd like to take with you as well as DS ones, I'd recommend that. And before anyone says anything - I'm not saying the PSP is a bad system (although that is what I believe), but I honestly can't think of any good games out for it. Feel free to correct me.

MottZilla
06-04-2005, 01:49 AM
You can walk with the DPAD, I sure do. You hold a button down to run. It works suprisingly well actually.