PDA

View Full Version : Custom Robo

Kairyu
05-30-2005, 06:26 PM
I recently rented Custom Robo for the GCN, and played some today.

Awesome.

It's like a cross between a 3-D Super Smash Brothers and... something cool.
You control a model robot with 5 parts: Body, Gun, Bomb, Pod, and Legs. Body determines the shape and overall performance. Gun is what you shoot with. Bomb is an explosive projectile, but fires more slowly than the Gun (normally). Pods are kind of like homing missiles, but they need to be used at certain distances and can be dodged by someone paying attention. Legs affect your jumping and air-dashes. There're 30+ parts for each category, it seems, and you can add them in any combination. Even better, the parts are DIFFERENT. The guns don't just shoot different sizes of shots with different power, they shoot in different directions and patterns at different speed with different tracking abilities. Some even change firing mode when used in air. There are also a lot of variations on parts which have slight differences in effects, but they're just that- variations so you have more options.

The story mode isn't enthralling me much, but it works well enough. Most of the characters so far have been pretty real and stayed in character. The plot's been done before, but the game knows it and keeps breaking that fourth wall. I just finished a tournament where one entire bracket was composed of identical-looking "Boys" who complained that the only reason they lost was because they're nameless extras. It's still better than most of the "serious" game storylines I've seen recently.

Combat is awesome. Up to four human/CPU robos fight in a decent-sized square arena, but most of the arenas have special properties. The floor and walls of one battlefield moved almost as much as our robos did. You can have 2-on-2 battles, and there are controls for a tag battle, so I'm guessing there's one of those too.

Controls are good. I customized them at the start, and I still sometimes use the jump button instead of the shooting button, but in this case it' probably because I've never played it before.

Only problem I've had so far is visibility- in the darker arenas, if you've got four robots fighting in different corners, it's hard to tell what's going on with the screen stretched back and a dozen pods and shots flying around.

Anyone else played it? Anyone else played the previous games in the series?

*b*
05-30-2005, 06:50 PM
no, I haven't played it very much; just the in-store demo, but I want to rent it sometime and play through it. I've wanted to ever since I heard it was coming to the US, and so far, I haven't heard anything bad about it (or, very little)

ShadowTiger
05-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Alright, I guess I'll be getting this game then. :p Thank you Kairyu. About how much did you get it for? I probably won't spring for more than $35. Probably even $29.99 now...

a 3D SSB? What was that like? ... I mean, it sounds like such a trivial question, but it's kinda hard to imagine the fun that SSBM presented, in a 3D environment. o_o;

DarkDragoonX
05-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Very interesting. I've seen the game in stores, but was hesitant about picking up a copy because I had never heard anything about it. I'll have to look into it.

Kairyu
05-30-2005, 11:03 PM
Like I said, I haven't actually bought it yet, but what I've played so far makes me want to do so when I get the chance.

By 3-D SSB, I meant it's a simple battle system with impressive depth. It has a sort of 2-D element to it in that you target one enemy at a time and are always focused on him/her, but you can move in any direction to dodge or attack.

I just finished the 2-on-2 tournament at the police station. I'm using a Javelin, 3-Way Shot, Standard, Satellite, Feather Robo. That's another nice thing: you don't need to junk your old parts every time you get a new robo. I still use the Standard Bomb that my Robo came with, to great effect. Now that I'm back to single-enemy battles, I'm probably going to try out a new one, though, just to keep things unique.

Edit: I just remembered, weren't there Custom Robo trophies in Super Smash Brothers Melee? I think one of them said the original Custom Robo was for the N64, which makes me wonder if they might make a DS CR game...

ShadowTiger
05-30-2005, 11:25 PM
By 3-D SSB, I meant it's a simple battle system with impressive depth. It has a sort of 2-D element to it in that you target one enemy at a time and are always focused on him/her, but you can move in any direction to dodge or attack... So .. Kinda like Tales Of Symphonia's Battle System, only you can move left and right, in addition to forward and backward? Can you duck?

(All odd questions, but that's the kind of thing I like in a game. I like the ability to MOVE. DODGE. REACT. ... Use Capslock, apparently. :odd: )

Kairyu
05-31-2005, 12:00 AM
.. So .. Kinda like Tales Of Symphonia's Battle System, only you can move left and right, in addition to forward and backward? Can you duck?
Yeah, now that I think about it, it does seem kinda like ToS with left-right movement. You can't duck (or block, for that matter), but you can jump or dodge. There're also plenty of obstacles in the field to hide behind. There don't seem to be any attacks which couldn't be avoided, but with the number of objects onscreen flying around in battle, you really need to focus to dodge everything. I actually built my Robo specifically for aireal control, and I'm able to dodge most ground-based attacks with relative ease, but things get hairy when enemies start bringing parts like Vertical Guns or Parasol Pods (Vertical Guns shoot both straight forward and upward, and Parasol pods split into three and hover around before exploding in a huge mid-air blast).