PDA

View Full Version : 400+ Pound Woman Referred to Zoo for MRI

Monica
05-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Source: http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20050523-093050-2285r.htm

New York, NY, May. 23 (UPI) -- A 407-pound New York woman claims she is suffering severe pain because her obesity leaves her unable to get proper medical attention.

Jennifer Walters, who is bed-ridden and cannot walk because of excessive weight, told the New York Post because she cannot fit into a magnetic resonance imaging machine, a doctor said she should go to the Bronx Zoo for an X-ray.

"It's humiliating. I was told if elephants and hippos need MRIs, they have the equipment at the Bronx Zoo. It was like I was an animal," Walters told the Post.

Walkers said she has "excruciating" pain in her back and legs. The Post said one of the doctors Walters said made the zoo suggestions said he "used to do it, but I don't think we do it anymore."

New York politicians have recently called for an end of what they termed medical discrimination against obese people.

For the record, the Bronx Zoo told the Post it gets about a dozen such calls a year but it doesn't have such facilities for its animals.

Wow, I don't think she should have made a big deal out of it, but Hospitals should have equipment for such obese people. The doctor shouldn't have been a smart alec if that was a true quote she said he said, but she should do something about her weight if she can. (I know someone at camp who can't help her weight but she has a severe muscle desease)

Beldaran
05-29-2005, 01:25 PM
She has excrutiating pain in her back and legs and they need to do an MRI to find out what's wrong?

I can tell you right now what's wrong: She's too god damned fat. She's 250 pounds over weight. I hate it when people like that bitch that they don't get treated like normal people. They aren't normal people. They have bizarre medical problems (usually caused by their own lack of self will and discipline), and if they need to get sent to the zoo for medical treatment, well, that's where they belong.

Rainman
05-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Wow, I don't think she should have made a big deal out of it, but Hospitals should have equipment for such obese people.

I doubt a hospital is going to make such an investment in a jumbo sized MRI considering they'd probably only use it a a couple times a year at the most.

Fiyerstorm
05-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Best thing to do is to have at least one MRI clinic in the metro area for each major city and/or capital.

*shrugs and eats a Twinkie*

Carcer
05-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Surely if the Zoo gets so many calls a day asking if they have a scanner large enough, then the hospital would actually try and get one themselves to deal with the obese people.
And, to be honest, I'd be more humiliated by being so huge than to be referred to a Zoo. Besides, the animals probably don'y get all the pain that woman got, becuase they aren't nearly as overweight as she is, and therefore will not get it, thus making the need for an elephant sized scanner obselete.

Archibaldo
05-29-2005, 02:14 PM
If she wnated to be treated normally, maybe she should have stopped eating after the 47th Big Mac. Don't bith about having to use a zoo scanner. It's your damn fault.

Blackguard
05-29-2005, 02:22 PM
I am disgusted by people who are extremely obese when they could be doing something like dieting and exercising to lose the weight. My mom was working at a grocery store, and she told me about how she was in the back and this guy was there making a delivery. He was so fat his stomach was hanging down to his knees, with his pants all the way below his ass with just a tucked-in long shirt covering it up, and he walked over to the bakery department and started grabbing free sugar cookies and eating them. I'm glad I'm nice and thin. I could never even force myself to eat enough to become anywhere near as fat.

mikeron
05-29-2005, 02:37 PM
After the scan, maybe they can hose her off and throw her a banana. She could also get one of those "DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS" signs for her front yard.

/etc.

Strider1982
05-29-2005, 03:21 PM
(reads article)

Yikes. How embarrassing...

Glitch
05-29-2005, 03:56 PM
I am disgusted by people who are extremely obese when they could be doing something like dieting and exercising to lose the weight. My mom was working at a grocery store, and she told me about how she was in the back and this guy was there making a delivery. He was so fat his stomach was hanging down to his knees, with his pants all the way below his ass with just a tucked-in long shirt covering it up, and he walked over to the bakery department and started grabbing free sugar cookies and eating them. I'm glad I'm nice and thin. I could never even force myself to eat enough to become anywhere near as fat.

I concur. I have no sympathy for these people. Being a little overweight is one thing, but when you are that fucking big it's rediculous. Stay away from junk food and stay active.

Strider1982
05-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Stomach hanging down to knees?

Now that is just sick and wrong. WHY would anyone LET themselves get that unhealthy? Don't they care about living?

DarkDragoonX
05-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Okay, when somebody's THAT fat, they deserve whatever ridicule they get.

Lilith
05-30-2005, 02:26 AM
What a goddamn hippo lady.

Seriously, just stop eating. People live with anorexia for years and don't die, when they barely have any fat on them. I'm sure if you just staple your goddamn mouth shut you'll be able to live off your fat and be just fine. STOP.

Strider1982
05-30-2005, 02:29 AM
Yeah you'd think with everything that people hear about overweight human beings dying from heart attacks, they'd be scared enough to eat healthy and stay active.

Exercising isn't hard, for crying out loud! The only slightly difficult part for some people is making it a permanent part of their schedule.

(Whoa, I just made my 500th post. Scary.)

Great Warrior
06-01-2005, 06:23 AM
Most very obese people are very sick, it isn't a matter of diet. I pity them more than feel disgusted, but I think they're entitled to their own facilities, and bigger seats on airplanes and buses in a way that doesn't prejudice the people sitting near them. If the zoo gets bigger equipment, they could very well benefir from it.

Jigglysaint
06-01-2005, 02:54 PM
You never know whether or not that 400 pound lady is entirely at fault for her weight. There are sometimes more factors that unfortuantly we can't see. How do we know that she does not suffer from an eating disorder? How do we know that she hasn't tried dieting and excercise. You guys do know that the heavier you weigh, the harder it is to be active, right? It's not like she could go for a bike ride or hop on the treadmill for 2 hours. As for self control, it may be partly her fault. I know when it comes to my own obesity, it's a matter of lack of self control(like I had 4 ice cream cones last sunday because they were free). Lack of self control could also be caused by a poor self image. I mean, if you honestly feel it's hopeless to lose weight, are you going to try?

You know somthing? I think we should all go out and make fun of drug users. Those damn assholes need to have some fucking self control because what they are doing is going to kill them. Maybe if they'd stop shoving those damn needles in their arm, they could go out and get a life. I mean, stopping the use of drugs is just as easy for a 400 pound woman to lose weight by eating less and excercise, right?

Anyway, I am only waking up recently and realising that I do have control over my life. I'd have to say that currently, I am probably eating healthier than the average american. I get some vegatables in my diet(not enough though). I almost never eat at McDonalds. When I do get some junk food, I am trying harder to make it last longer, and not eat the entire thing in one go. During the week I drink pretty much just water. What my real problem is that I get a lack of excercise. Hey wait, why don't I just go play sports like all the healthy active kids? Well I am partly blind, which makes it hard for me to play properly, plus there is always a risk of permenent eye damage if I ever got hit. My eyes are bad enough without me requiring a white cane to get everywhere. At least when I'm out, I tend to walk everywhere, and I've taken to the habit of skipping the elevator. While I am overweight and out of shape, I still, when possible, engage in some sort of activity. Heck, sometimes I tend to sprint everywhere. I run out of breath and start coughing up liquid, but meh, at least I caught that bus.

Glitch
06-01-2005, 03:43 PM
You never know whether or not that 400 pound lady is entirely at fault for her weight.

No, that's bullshit. There is always something that can be done unless you have a non-curable disease.

How do we know that she hasn't tried dieting and excercise. You guys do know that the heavier you weigh, the harder it is to be active, right? It's not like she could go for a bike ride or hop on the treadmill for 2 hours. As for self control, it may be partly her fault.

If she tried, she didn't try hard enough. And as far as self control, that's all her fault.

I know when it comes to my own obesity, it's a matter of lack of self control(like I had 4 ice cream cones last sunday because they were free). Lack of self control could also be caused by a poor self image. I mean, if you honestly feel it's hopeless to lose weight, are you going to try?

This is when it come down to who you are as a person, if you have the willpower you can control all your actions. Don't let your actions control you. If you feel it's hopeless then you aparantly havn't tried hard enough. Determination is a key.

I mean, stopping the use of drugs is just as easy for a 400 pound woman to lose weight by eating less and excercise, right?

No, must hardcore drug addicts have a chemical dependency on their drug. Food addiction is bullshit. Your body doesn't depend on that twinkie, it's all in your head.

Anyway, I am only waking up recently and realising that I do have control over my life. I'd have to say that currently, I am probably eating healthier than the average american. I get some vegatables in my diet(not enough though). I almost never eat at McDonalds. When I do get some junk food, I am trying harder to make it last longer, and not eat the entire thing in one go. During the week I drink pretty much just water. What my real problem is that I get a lack of excercise. Hey wait, why don't I just go play sports like all the healthy active kids? Well I am partly blind, which makes it hard for me to play properly, plus there is always a risk of permenent eye damage if I ever got hit. My eyes are bad enough without me requiring a white cane to get everywhere. At least when I'm out, I tend to walk everywhere, and I've taken to the habit of skipping the elevator. While I am overweight and out of shape, I still, when possible, engage in some sort of activity. Heck, sometimes I tend to sprint everywhere. I run out of breath and start coughing up liquid, but meh, at least I caught that bus.

That's a start, just don't give up.

Lilith
06-02-2005, 01:14 AM
Eating can be a coping skill, but I'm sorry, if you're 400 lbs and not getting any fucking help for it, you're an idiot to blame others.

Orion
06-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Indeed, people aren't just born weighing 400lbs. She obviously had to notice herself getting heavier and heavier, and she obviously didn't do anything about it to end up where she is now.

AlexMax
06-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Fatty lol. I had hoped that something like this would have been an incentive to get off her fat ass and try and lose weight, but she'd rather complain and be an attention whore.

Blonde799
06-02-2005, 11:54 AM
While a person can be addicted to certain foods, it's not like they can't stop eating them, or at least seek some help. It makes me sick looking at all these obese people being reported. It's kind of sad just looking at our population, a sizable chunk being obese and all. As usual, I blame the government.:p

Dechipher
06-02-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm quite sure that for some people food has the same effect as drugs. I believe that some foods for some people produce dopamine, which in turn tells the body to stop producing it, thus forcing the person to eat those foods in order to feel good.

I don't find it disgusting, I pity them. Maybe not because they're fat, but because for some reason, they are unable to be thin, be it dependence on food, lack of self control, a disease, whatever. I would not want to be in thier situation, which is much more than just being obese, therefore I pity them.

Glitch
06-02-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm quite sure that for some people food has the same effect as drugs. I believe that some foods for some people produce dopamine, which in turn tells the body to stop producing it, thus forcing the person to eat those foods in order to feel good.

Like I said, all in the mind.

I don't find it disgusting, I pity them. Maybe not because they're fat, but because for some reason, they are unable to be thin, be it dependence on food, lack of self control, a disease, whatever. I would not want to be in thier situation, which is much more than just being obese, therefore I pity them.

I pity no one, it's time people take responsibilty for their actions and stop placing blame.

death2004
06-03-2005, 03:55 AM
jeez... Glitch, you say it's all in the mind, all down to the PERSON themselves... nature doesn't work in a single way, maybe the person has mental problems, for example Depression, maybe she could be depressed about her weight, and as such starts comfort eating to feel happy, which only makes the problem worse, am I right? It could be a LOT of things, not just her own actions which made her so heavy, so really, consider the fact that she might have more than just a lack of self-control, maybe her parents were obese, and if I remember right, a survey suggested that obesity in some cases can be hereditary(if I spelt that wrong, I'm half-asleep as I'm fucking typing this), so THINK before you judge...

wagh... I just totally killed my fingers... time to eat :eat:

Glitch
06-03-2005, 06:40 AM
jeez... Glitch, you say it's all in the mind, all down to the PERSON themselves... nature doesn't work in a single way, maybe the person has mental problems, for example Depression, maybe she could be depressed about her weight, and as such starts comfort eating to feel happy, which only makes the problem worse, am I right? It could be a LOT of things, not just her own actions which made her so heavy, so really, consider the fact that she might have more than just a lack of self-control, maybe her parents were obese, and if I remember right, a survey suggested that obesity in some cases can be hereditary(if I spelt that wrong, I'm half-asleep as I'm fucking typing this), so THINK before you judge.

Think before I judge? Ha. Stay on the porch with the other puppies. And the whole "I eat too much cause my mom eats too much is fucking bullshit.

Blonde799
06-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Obesity hereditary? Obesity was just labeled a disease a few years ago wasn't it? Anyway, even if it was, that doesn't mean there's no way they can stop from being obese. For example, my family has a history of heart problems. Even though I may get one in the future, I'm sure as hell gonna do something to prevent it, I don't want that kind of shit ruining my life.

I mean, people aren't born being 300 lbs. There's always something negative contributing to it.

Orion
06-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Whether or not they can help it, is still not like they are not gunna notice they are getting fat. Maybe eating makes them feel better, sure, but they still have to notice that they are as big as a small walrus. At some point they should at least stop, think about why they are getting fat, and seek help; not bitch about it.

Belgarath
06-06-2005, 06:07 AM
Its her own damn fault. She should get off her ass and go for a walk instead of eating everything in sight. Telling her to go to the zoo is the gods way of telling her she is a fat bitch who needs to stop eating.

I say give the docter props. Even better, somebody tell me who it was who told her that so I can buy the docter a beer.

Draco
06-06-2005, 07:20 PM
There could be a few reasons why a person may become so obese like this.

1. Metabolism and diet... different people have different highs or lows of metabolism. I for one, have a very high metabolism... then again, I'm a more active person that enjoys going out and having fun because my body can do more things as I want to. I drink soda, which has caffeine, which gives me energy, which makes me want to go out and do anything if even for the hell of it, and in that I have about 5 cans or a 2liter or two of soda a day, and all of the foods I eat average in a week are about:

2-4 chicken soft tacos and 1-2 mexican pizzas from taco bell,
some McDonalds cheeseburgers and fries or
Jack in the Box bacon cheese burgers and curly fries.
And I go to the store and get a few things like the lunchables nachos and ovencooked pizza, along with spaggheti, top ramen soup, chocolate cereals, hot pockets and microwavable pizzas.

Went to Sizzler last Friday and got a Steak and Endless Shrimp, while my girlfriend got the Endless Salad Bar, we ate then swapped vise-versa while I had the Salad.

I also ride my bike down to the store and get a few bags of M&M's, some harvest cheddar sun chips, ice cream, and a couple of candy bars to last me for about 2 days, 3 tops.

I weigh on average 140-145 pounds and I'm about 5'9" in height, so yea I'm kinda skinny lol... its my metabolism and the energy and mood to go do things.

2. Hereditary attributes...
There are some chances of hereditary features passing down through the family, not necessarily the whole "I eat 2 much cuz my mom does", but maybe their metabolism, and their family traditions, religious beliefs, and the activity of the family.

3. Money issues
A family that has the money to afford gas and go out often to visit friends, go to the park or go out clubbing is obviously going to have a better chance of being slim and healthy.

A family that doesn't have the money for gas or a heater during the winter, and don't have many friends nearby, or live in a town that doesn't have any clubs nearby, but they can afford a TV... they'll most likely grab some food around the house like some popcorn and watch a movie... a family like this has less of a chance of being as healthy.

4. Environment issues
There are several places around the world that have really bad air.
If a family grew up not far away from the ocean, then there should be good air, and it may influence the people to go out and do something, and will definitely help them be healthier because of the good air.
However, where I live, I am in the valley of California, rated as the worst air in the world, near LA and Sacramento... which can cause people sickness and bring down their mood and motivation to do things... especially here in the Valley because of a few areas that give people "Valley Fever". I've never had it, and I hope I never get it.

The most suspected of all, the persons laziness, could be the one to blame... there are some people that live in good environments, have plenty of money to go do things, but just don't care and feel like lying around the house doing nothing but eat and watch TV... and Orion has a very clear point, that if someone really cared about themselves, they would have noticed they were getting fat, and should have done something about it, but didn't. So in this case, it IS their fault and they must suffer the consequences until they can think of what they should do. however... don't think too much, or you may start eating and get even fatter, rofl.

...damn, all this talking about food has gotton me hungry, I gotta get somethin to eat, cya.

Machiavelli
06-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Metabolism & diet: A person can work on their diet and boost their metabolism.

Hereditary attributes: A person does not have to be a slave to their genes. Work with it or get help.

Money issues: money issues are all the more reason to get off ur ass and got to the park.
You can watch TV if your poor...so walk your ass if you cant afford gas. Walk to a park or do something with friends.

Environment issues: WTF? If you air is making you sick, than maybe thats telling you something...MOVE!

Blonde799
06-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Easier stupidly said than done.

Machiavelli
06-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Yea, it is easy to say...'cause i'm not a fat-ass. but if i was i'd be doing somethin about it. my aunt and cousin joined a gym and a new diet plan because they want to do something about their weight. I already see them losing weight. Maybe other fat people should do the same instead of bitching about it.

Deviance
06-06-2005, 10:22 PM
See that is just rediculous, If you are more than 300 pounds, you really need shot. I know I'm a big kid but if I went over 300 pounds I would do something about it. See I don't know why big people need to make an excuse cause there big. Christ I practically can do anything like a normal sized kid. You just have to be active.

Jigglysaint
06-06-2005, 11:14 PM
It would be very easy for children to not be so damn fat if people stopped inventing crap like Pokemon that encourage a sedentary lifestyle.

A 400 pound woman is an extreme case, but most of the obesity prevailent in children is from bad examples. Parents who watch too much TV, parents who order KFC once a week. Parents who decide to have only one child, and thus have more disposable income to spend on them. Parents who spoil their children rotten. I doubt that the woman would have gotten to 400 pounds if it were not for some bad examples in her life.

Anyway, it's not easy, but things can change. One of the problems is that people actually believe that by belittling, crifficizing, and making fun of fat people, it will somehow magically shame them into action. Experence says that's BS. If you mock somebody for being fat, it only makes it worse. The best thing to do is just mind your own business, unless it's a family or friend. For me, I accept health tips from friends and things, but if somebody thinks that I will lose weight faster if I am accused of eating 20 burgers, they are not just mistaken, but stupid as well.

What these people need is help. They first need a desire. Obviously if you like being fat, or can't come to grips about sacrificing your lifestyle, then you will certainly go nowhere. Once you have a desire, you need family or friends who are able to help. Getting up and walking or just dieting does not work. What works is when one establishes a routine that encompases the goals of the person. For example, if you were able to make it a habit of going swimming every Sunday, and you had friends who also go swimming, and you like swimming(hey, fat floats, so why not?), you stand a better chance of losing weight than just walking when you feel like it.

Excercise might be avoided by some because they look upon it as a non-social event. They think that getting in shape is like a one-on-one with the Stairmaster. That's not true. Team sports are just as much about playing the game as it is about getting you know your team and working together. If you enjoy those kind of things, then you have a chance of getting in shape. Of course it doesn't work if the team is accusing you of eating 20 burgers a night. If you don't want to be ridiculed for being gay or black, then don't go ridiculing fat people.

Deviance
06-06-2005, 11:17 PM
It would be very easy for children to not be so damn fat if people stopped inventing crap like Pokemon that encourage a sedentary lifestyle.

Ah yes, let's blame it on a game. Seriously make up a better excuse.