PDA

View Full Version : Mother, won't you come and fight hell with me?

Brasel
05-29-2005, 05:46 AM
Mother II or Earthbound, as its known here, was a game I wasn't really that familiar with. I heard it was a good RPG for the SNES and that it had quite a cult following. Well, I should say that I must have been under a rock.

I've been playing this for a couple days now on my ZSNES, and I must say. "WOW". This game is amazingly good. Yeah, its silly, but hell, I laughed out loud at some of it. I almost NEVER laugh out loud at a game. On top of that, its not impossibly hard to get into and its not too easy like most of the Final Fantasy games. I can't believe that I missed this one. I'm actually kind of glad that I did though, because then I would be having this awsome experience in a desolate atmosphere. Its really lifting my spirites.

Anyone else played something old for the first time recently and loved it?

MacWeirdo42
05-29-2005, 09:10 AM
I miss the scratch and sniff card that came with it. That was great, because so few games let us experience the smell of the villains. I agree, Earthbound was a terrific game. One of my favorites of all time. And I usually don't even like RPGs. As for old games that I've played for the first time recently and loved, well, there is Sam and Max. Only got to play the demo (really want to find the full game), but man, that thing is hilarious. I remember the cartoon, but I never actually played the game (and by the way, I loved the cartoon, too).

Rainman
05-29-2005, 10:08 AM
I played Half-Life a while ago for the first time long after its release. I'm glad I did because its now one of my favorite games ever.

vegeta1215
05-29-2005, 10:34 AM
I never got around to playing Earthbound (Mother II), but I'd like to check it out eventually. They re-released it in Japan on the GBA along with Mother I on the same cart, but I don't think that will be released stateside. I'm sure it will be offered via Nintendo's download service with the Revolution though.

Speaking of which, Nintendo was working on a Mother III at one point, maybe for the Nintendo 64 (I remember seeing some screenshots for it a long time ago in Nintendo Power) - I wonder what ever happened to that project?

Rijuhn
05-29-2005, 10:49 AM
I couldn't stand Earthbound, but then again I never got past the starman at the beginning of Onnett because the battles just killed it for me. I couldn't stand how boring it was and I felt so distant from the game whenever a battle began. I would fastfoward through battles on ZSNES in Earthbound, then I fought the starman and just deleted it.

Was that the right thing to do?

Monica
05-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Earthbound was the first RPG I ever played and I fell in love with it! I would wake up at 5AM and play until time for school and then I'd play for the rest of the night after school. I never understood RPGs and how fun they were until I played EB and now RPGs are my favorite genre. I didn't even buy the game, my Poppa owned a pawn shop and my Meme had NES, SNES and Genesis for the 8 grandkids and I found it in a pile of games he had brought home. I stuck it in having no idea what was going on but I loved it. :)

As for the question, I am currently playing Xenogears for the first time ever. :)

MottZilla
05-29-2005, 12:37 PM
I play lots of old games all the time that I've never played before. Much better than newer games generally.

By the way, I totally don't get why people like EarthBound so much. I didn't like that game at all.

Monica
05-29-2005, 01:04 PM
I play lots of old games all the time that I've never played before. Much better than newer games generally.

By the way, I totally don't get why people like EarthBound so much. I didn't like that game at all.

I can see what you mean but I didn't have any expectations. It was so bazarre in gameplay and story, I just got hooked.

Blackguard
05-29-2005, 02:40 PM
I really enjoyed Earthbound. I think one of the best things about it is the absolute depth and detail put into many of the cities, for example. In Final Fantasy games there is always that problem where you go into a town, and you have your Inn, your weapon and armor shop, the magic shops, the important house you have to go in, and maybe a tavern. It makes you wonder where all the ordinary people are supposed to live, and the cities in Earthbound are giant and full of optional areas. And then once you beat the game you have free reign of the entire world and everyone has something totally different to say regarding your victory.

One tip for anyone who is playing, make sure you turn on the text speed as fast as possible. If you've got 200 HP left and someone hits you for 400 HP, if you can heal yourself before your health rolls down to 0, you will live, and slow text hinders that process.

Monica
05-29-2005, 03:13 PM
One tip for anyone who is playing, make sure you turn on the text speed as fast as possible. If you've got 200 HP left and someone hits you for 400 HP, if you can heal yourself before your health rolls down to 0, you will live, and slow text hinders that process.

It's been awhile but the Mole tells you that that's what the Guts stat is for, doesn't he? I know he says some stat keeps you alive long enough to save yourself...I think it's the mole you meet in between Twoson and Happy-Happy Village...

Edit: It's Vitality, not Guts. Guts has to do with SmAAAAAAAAAASHing ^_^

Strider1982
05-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Mother II/EarthBound was a bizarre game, but was still enjoyable. I'm more of a Final Fantasy fam but EarthBound was an interesting departure from the typical fantasy setting of RPG's. I hope its developers got enough credit for their originality.

Mother I for the NES, however... Didn't really like that one.

Mak-X
05-30-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm still waiting for Mother 1+2 to come to the U.S., and I hope NOA does not pass Mother 3 up when that finally comes out for the GBA.