PDA

View Full Version : The Fair Tax

Blackguard
05-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Posted by Eckels:
If you want to discuss the idea, please make a new topic, but this topic is trash. It's advertising. Not for a site, but political advertising, which is equally wrong.

I want to discuss the idea, so I will take your advice and start a new topic. I am not a member of some political group. I am an average young adult who is interested in an economic subject. I am in no way trying to advertise a political agenda. I am educating people on something I think is cool, and I want to share opinions.

The original post is here: http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?p=1012396#post1012396

mikeron
05-28-2005, 10:15 PM
I've been a fan of this ever since I read Denny Hastert's book. The main problem, though, is the transtition that would be required. Good stuff though. Implementing this in combination with the elimination of Social Security would be my dream come true.

MacWeirdo42
05-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Honestly, the plan sounds great, but I'm not sure it would actually work. If this could help create an economic system wherein everybody has enough to get by, then that's great, in my opinion. Right now, though, I'm just going to stick to "It sounds too good to be true." When it comes down to it, we have to face the fact that nobody really knows how to best run our economy. It's just simply too complex, there are too many nuances, that something will always be not taken into account, and chances are something that has a major impact on the economy. Chaos theory and all, you know.

Eckels
05-29-2005, 12:41 AM
ok, i'll discuss.

Currently, illegal immigrants do not pay taxes because they are not on record. When taxes are figured into the cost of consumables, and illegal immigrant who buys things from stores will be forced into paying taxes.

BS.

Every illegal immigrant will apply for, and receive a "poverty card". The same abuses that plague the current tax system, and the current medicare system will plague this system as well. You can't track how much a person owns if they're paid off the books.

MacWeirdo42
05-29-2005, 08:58 AM
Wait, how will illegal immigrants receive these cards? After all, the very fact that they're illegal means (a) they are not eligible and (b) they will likely avoid filling out any paperwork that might lead to them being found out. We're talking about a group of people who are unlikely to even report violent crimes done against them for fear of being found out and deported (thus making them very popular targets for muggings and such). I'm sure that some do "abuse" the system, but hey, being an illegal immigrant is tough, what with the whole not having any rights and all.

Blackguard
05-29-2005, 08:02 PM
The way I understand it, all legal citizens will be able to take advantage of this program. Your average illegal immigrant will not be able to file for the monthly reimbursement for the basic necessities they so desperately need, yet they will pay taxes because all of their purchases will have the taxes worked in. When you go to pump your car full of gas, you don't worry about tax, because the meter tells you how much you must pay, taxes included.

If anything this program would encourage immigration by legal means, because it is a promise that if they do so, they will have what they need to live a proper life in America. Everybody wins here.

The only downside to this is that many government jobs in the IRS will be lost, but if you ask me, it couldn't happen to a better group of people.

Eckels
05-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Your average illegal immigrant will not be able to file for the monthly reimbursement for the basic necessities they so desperately need, yet they will pay taxes because all of their purchases will have the taxes worked in.

They do now, to the medicare system. Illegals can get Identification cards just as easily as any legal citizen. And without legal employment (the same as we have now, with most illegal immigrants), there will be no way for the government to keep tabs on their incomes. Therefore, poverty.

I work in the construction industry, I know many illegals that have tens of thousands of dollars in pocket, and not a dime of it is written down in a book, or in a bank. These are illegal immigrants that receive federal aid for just about everything imaginable. They all have legal drivers licenses (because you can't refuse a license to anyone), and most of them have fake social security cards.

Now tell me why they won't be able to apply for and receive one of these poverty cards?

I'm not saying that this system will make the illegal situation any better, but it is in NO way a solution for the illegal immigrant tax problem.