Really Strange Museums... [Archive] - Armageddon Games Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Really Strange Museums...

ShadowTiger
05-27-2005, 10:21 AM
How often do you go to museums? Do you remember any of them? Are you usually interested in going? Seeing the exhibits?

There are some museums that are just plain amazing. The Hall Of Science in Queens, NY, is just about as interactive as it gets. It's a veritable wonderland of sights, smells, and experiences. Padded foam floors, rubbery walls, ('Cuz you know how those cyclopsi keep flinging small children around when they break out of their cages.) And a LOT to do.

I was recently at the PS1 Museum in Manhatten. No, it had nothing to do with Playstations. It was a public school converted to a Museum, apparently. It's -VERY- heavy on Modern Art. o_o About half of the people there were DDR-girls, and the other half were Stoners. I felt so out of place walking the halls. @_@ It was like a bloody hippie convention. Unisex bathrooms, creaking floors, ... this ... scent, that smelled like they had tried to make some kind of fruit-based jelly, and failed. MISERABLY.

All the art there was so ... odd. I mean, I like modern art, but this was just exceptional. There was a video of this guy walking up to a building, setting up a camera, lens, film, backcanvas, ... and then he just walks away. About 20 seconds later of seeing that same screen, ... this building in the background starts to rumble and just explodes. The film was called "35mm mystery." It was pretty damn cool. It had GREAT mood and music to it. I loved it. It was only 2 minutes long though. :p

They also had a brief clip about this guy in a white shirt and glasses standing in the foreground, facing away from the camera toward a row of fancy houses in a dense thicket of trees, (Yet clearly in a fine upscale neighborhood.) He yells to the houses:

"Everybody, ... pick up your houses, ... and take ... three .. steps .. back! .... ... ... Three .. Steps!"
I loved that guy. I laughed like hell. They had this weird ... blotch of paint in a room, in the shape of a circle, with a large metal cylinder in the center of it. You could see an image of a burning house from the paint's reflection in the cylinder, that followed you around wherever you went. It was so cool. There was this upside down room, where you were walking on the ceiling of a house, dodging lamps and cobwebs, and looking up, you were staring straight down at a dining room with people having supper.

There was this one room where there were at least 20 white animatronic abominable snowmen crammed into a room with disco lights. There was NO SOUND, .. ... just this really EERIE motion with lots of purple and red flashing lights. ... So horribly freaky.

And that was the TAME stuff. Lining the walls, were pieces of art which upon initial inspection, would probably have made you vomit out of sheer displacement of logic. I'm a fairly artsy person, and tried (tried) to get a fair glimpse of what this art was trying to say, .. and after about half an hour of immersion into all of this crazy, abstract, ... totally weird art, it felt like I was totally stoned, with 7 arms, and 14 genders. ... ... I probably was stoned, considering the people there, and what it smelled like. :odd:

Have you ever been in a museum like that? O_o

moocow
05-27-2005, 11:35 AM
No, but I wanna go!!!

Strider1982
05-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I used to live in Washington DC and I remember there being a bunch of interesting museums there. The National Air and Space Museum and the National Museum of Natural History were always my favorites as a kid (I was obsessed with dinosaurs and outer space)

They sure had some weird stuff there. The Natural History Museum had a cave man exhibit that featured the most hideous sculptures of hairy naked people around. I also remember seeing a silly video clip about DNA that featured a singing and tap-dancing DNA strand.

The Air and Space museum used to have a Star Trek exhibit that had Leonard "Spock" Nimoy's original, rotting pair of pointy Vulcan ears.

Manny
05-27-2005, 03:33 PM
In reykjavÃ*k, Iceland theres a penis museum. It's all about the penis. The handles of the doors are metal penises (sp?), you sign the guestbook with a penis pen. I believe there are statues of the penis amongst other things. Though I've never been, a girl I was once close to spoke foundly of the place and told me all about it, and wants to bring me there one day. who knows? maybe i will go one day :p
-manny

Archibaldo
05-28-2005, 12:49 AM
Back in April I went to the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum. It was the essence of awesome. There was this one room that was cylindrical horizontally and it the walls spun. So when you were walking along to the perfectly straight cat walk. It felt like you were going to fall off the edge.

I also went ot this place called Casa Loma. It was built during the second industrial phase of Canada right before the stock market crashed. Appearently this guy built the mansion with a shit load of secret passages and turrets and stuff. By the time it was completed. The stock market crashed and he couldn't afford to move in. I found this one secret passage that lead to the basement. And when I came back up and walked out of the passage I freaked out a group of tourists. I look back and remeber that the door to the passage was built into the wall and realized no one had seen it. They were just looking at me, so I said, "Secret passage..." They're all like "Ohhhh".

carrot red
05-28-2005, 01:26 PM
The National Air and Space Museum and the National Museum of Natural History were always my favorites as a kid (I was obsessed with dinosaurs and outer space)
The National Air and Space Museum is still my favorite.

I like museums, all sorts. I try to visit some more than once or twice a year.
Dime Museums are fun, and I visited a small Music and Automated Boxes Museum that was spectacular.