PDA

View Full Version : How feasible is this?

Dechipher
05-26-2005, 08:53 PM
How feasible is a remake for Super Mario Rpg? As in, the original.
I'm just wondering. I love this game, and a customizable version would be wicked. I understand that it would be complicated to come up with new graphics and whatnot, but there are enough of a variety in the game so that it wouldn't be much of a drawback. I'm only asking, and if it's been done before, please send me a link. Thank you.

Daarkseid
05-27-2005, 01:59 AM
The game would've been truly truly excellent if it had been longer and more difficult.

Cloral
05-27-2005, 02:43 AM
Depends:

1) How's your programming?
2) Do you have a few hundred hours to burn?

That would be a huge undertaking. If you haven't done any major projects before, you might want to start on something simpler.

idontknow
05-27-2005, 11:18 AM
They so should make a new Super Mario RPG for the revolution! Take the graphics of Super Mario 64 & then triple the quality of those graphics (smooth things out, making things that should be round round, instead of just pointed or squared, etc.)

The game should be like 60+ hrs to complete plus hours of sidequests sorta stuff & minigames & puzzles too!

Playable characters:
1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Bowser
5) Toad
6) Gino
7) Mallow

The final bosses:
GigaBowser & Shadow Mario!

Beldaran
05-27-2005, 01:03 PM
They so should make a new Super Mario RPG for the revolution! Take the graphics of Super Mario 64 & then triple the quality of those graphics (smooth things out, making things that should be round round, instead of just pointed or squared, etc.)

The game should be like 60+ hrs to complete plus hours of sidequests sorta stuff & minigames & puzzles too!

Playable characters:
1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Bowser
5) Toad
6) Gino
7) Mallow

The final bosses:
GigaBowser & Shadow Mario!

It would take like 4 years to develop a game like that, assuming nothing went wrong during the development process. So you're looking at 2009. Clearly it would have to be a late revolution game, or an early comer for a new system. Either way, by the time 60+ hours (plus sidequests and minigames) worth of content was completed, the graphics would be totally out of date and the hype would have died out.

... I'd still play it though. :)

Carcer
05-27-2005, 01:54 PM
I'd say very reasonable. In Europe, it was never released, so that would give them a whole new audience. What is more, is that Nintendo are releasing a new version of the Game Boy Advance, which will mean that they'll need more games to back it up. Amongst these will likely be conversions... and since they've exhausted almost all of the Mario Snes games, it stands to reason that they'd chose the Mario RPG.

Dechipher
05-27-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm thinking for the PC, a fan project, like Zelda Classic. And I am in NO WAY trying to take this upon myself. I am a musician, certainly not a programmer, so I would be restricted to the music part. I'm just wondering, but I think it would be really nice to see with an editor and all.

Geno*

koopa
05-31-2005, 09:56 AM
mario RPG was really great, wish it could be bought legally in europe too ... hope they make a gameboy DS version!

Warlock
05-31-2005, 01:19 PM
They so should make a new Super Mario RPG for the revolution!

They are already making it.. it's called Mario & Luigi 2 (DS) :P Not for Revolution tho.

Orion
05-31-2005, 01:58 PM
I know not everyone would share this opinion, but I think it would be cool to have a Zelda RPG using the SMRPG engine.

Dechipher
05-31-2005, 02:02 PM
Actually, that would be pretty cool. And now that I've replayed SMRPG again, the graphics wouldn't be that hard to do.

Geno could be recolored green to be link, and it'd fit...

That's what I was asking about though, SMRPG engine, editor, whatever.
Bleh. Bad terminology.