PDA

View Full Version : Computer Hard drive question

Kamaria
05-26-2005, 06:19 AM
I only have around, say, 9.50 gigs left on this 55 gig hard drive. Inevitably I will run out.

So, I want to get a new hard drive. Two questions:

1. What sort of brand, type (internal or external and whatnot), and size should I get?

2. Once I have it, should I simply transfer all my files onto the new one and sell the old one or something? Do I have to partition the drive? I want to make a seamless change. Please help me out here.

SomUnknown
05-26-2005, 06:57 AM
You only want an external one if you meet one of these two:

1. You're going to be often taking it to lots of places.
2. You've run out of space in your computer.

You should probably just keep your old hard drive that way you'll have that much more extra space, and you won't have to reinstall your OS; unless of course you don't have room for it and your new one.

I would suggest an internal one as they are by far cheaper.

The size is entirely up to you, just do the math, you’ve already used 40GB do you expect to use twice that much, three times, etc.

Here is a site to order it off, they are the cheapest I know of, and they have excellent service.

External Hard Drives (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=414&Submit=Property)

Internal Hard Drives (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=14&Submit=Property)

If you want a more detailed opinion, just tell me your computer specs (How many CD-ROMS, hard drives, and if you have a zip drive of sorts).

ShadowTiger
05-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Kamaria, ... since I don't know all that much about the internal stuff about a PC, .. just the external, ... I can give you a lesson about space thriftiness! ^_^ * Everybody Groans * ... * BH4 Laughs ... *

I have a hard drive of about 14.2 Gig. Total. I have at any one point less than a Gig of free space left. You have nine gig left. For me, that'd friggin pwn to have that much free space on this PC.

Every now and then, like, .. every six months, I guess, go on a deleting or zipping spree. Find stuff that you can zip up or delete. Burn those .zip files onto a CD or something as a backup of your stuff in case your PC ever fails you. Mine is kinda starting to go now, so I've been doing that for the past month.

When your PC stops working for no good reason, you'll be glad that you have those backups anyway, even if it's not all that related to this topic. ;)