PDA

View Full Version : Was I brave or just plain stupid?

Glitch
05-25-2005, 01:32 PM
As some of you may know, I just recently started a new job. Its a nice office job where I do graphic design. One of the perks of this job is that I am getting to travel a lot because I am training for the boss' job. This past weekend we went to Michigan, and on the way there the boss decided to bring up the last subject I want to discuss with anyone......Religion.

I had earlier learned that he's a huge bible thumper, and I was no looking forward to him talking to me about religion. Well, he starts blabbling about Jesus and all that bullshit, I just kept driving and acting like I was listening. Then the time came where he started asking me my opinions. Rut Ro Raggy.

His first question was if I go to church....."Not since I was 12" I repied. Good, a easy question that won't offend him. I spoke too soon.

"So why did stop going?", he asked. Shit...it's begining. "I felt no need to go," I mumbled. I could feel my job security slipping as we spoke.

And then the big question...."Do you believe in God?"

Jesus Fucking Christ. What do I do? I had 3 choices...lie and say I do, say I don't want to talk about it, or tell him how I really felt. Fuck it, I told myself. What follows is my exact word:

"I believe in no man written book"
"So you don't believe in God?"
"I believe in myself and nothing else."
At this point his facial expression changed
"I wake up every morning and tell myself I'm going to be something someday, I don't need to trust in any so called higher power to think that's going to happen."
He was speechless.....fuck
"Organized religion in my opinion is useless"

Now, before I tell his reaction, I want everyone to tell me what they would of done in my shoes and if they think I made the right choice.

Jigglysaint
05-25-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm hoping he understood that you didn't want to lie to him, and you were being open and honest. If I were in that situation, I would have told the truth about me being a mormon(unless constrained).

It takes balls to openly admit your feelings, to your boss nonetheless. I just hope he doesn't see this as a sign of weakness. Actually one of the good things about saying you trust in yourself, is that you won't find yourself in a situation waiting for God to do somthing, but instead you will take action yourself.

I hope being an athiest won't get you fired, because that would be wrong, just like it's wrong to fire somebody for being gay.

moocow
05-25-2005, 01:42 PM
I would have (and did) do the same thing. Everyone I worked with at Roly Poly knows I have mixed feelings on Religion, and they were all Catholic. It's something I'm not comfortable discussing, because, to be honest, I don't know what I believe in.

Anyhow, as far as I'm concerned, you did the right thing. You're allowed to have your own opinions and religous views. The quality of your job doesn't change if you don't believe in God. Also, your boss can't fire you for not believing. Well, he can fire you, but then you've got a big 'ol lawsuit you could slap him with. Right in the face, even.

ShadowTiger
05-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Indeed, very well said, Jigglysaint. Although I'd honestly hate to be in your shoes at that time, Lee, ... unfortunately, some people are just stupid enough not to realize that some people don't hold the same lifestyle as yourself. (Yourself being the boss here.) I hate it when people ask questions like that. ... Questions like "How did you do on that exam?" Not knowing that you failed it, not expecting that awkward moment after hearing that you did, ... Or "So is it a boy or a girl?" ... and again, bearing the red-faced shameful look when you find out it was a miscarriage. (Or a baby of a different skin color entirely. :odd: )

God... Why can't people keep these things to themselves. >_< Well, I hope that your boss learned something, man. o_o;

Maybe you could have asked him about his religious beliefs, instead of having him focus on yours?

AlexMax
05-25-2005, 01:44 PM
I think I would have handled the conversation differently.

Do you beleive in god?
Nope.

Why not?
I'd rather not go into details why, but let's just say that I have reasons, and I think they're justified.

What you said kinda belittled him and is never a good idea to do on the job. What you want to do is potray the fact that you don't beleive in a god while not acting like you're talking down to him or have it all figured out. Keep the ground level, then when the other guy starts hitting below the belt, then you have the moral high ground.

MacWeirdo42
05-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Hmm... Tough question. I do believe in God, and I would have had a hard time with it (while I believe in God, I don't really believe in organized religion, which many people seem to have a problem with). Honestly, if I were you, I would have tried to find some way to deflect the question. Don't really know how, yet, so that probably wouldn't have worked, but you know... As it is, my thoughts are that you may have said just a bit too much.

"I don't need to trust in any so called higher power to think that's going to happen."

That, I think, might have been crossing the line, in terms of potentially offending your boss. Besides basically insulting him, it assumes a lot about why he believes in God. I do agree with Jigglysaint, though, that it would be wrong for you to get fired over it. Hope this all goes well.

Archibaldo
05-25-2005, 01:55 PM
I would have just lied and changed the subject. But you were brave to do waht you did.

ShadowTiger
05-25-2005, 02:03 PM
I would have just lied and changed the subject. But you were brave to do waht you did.
A while ago, I probably would have just told him "Yes, I go to Church, Sir." And then I would have made up some phony church name to fill in the underlined space with. Anything to get him off-topic. But you really never know when a lie like that can come around and bite you in the arse. They might ask to actually see it, or go there sometime if he gets to know you better, (If you're suck in a car with him, what else will you do? O_o )

Glitch
05-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Maybe you could have asked him about his religious beliefs, instead of having him focus on yours?

Oh he was making it very clear what his beliefs were. He just wanted to get me involved in the convo.

ShadowTiger
05-25-2005, 02:15 PM
I know. ... And that was indeed a fairly awkward spot. But hey, he likes you. Perhaps you can do something to rectify the situation? :) Perhaps ask him why he believes God exists for him, and ask him to try and refute some of your positions and beliefs on it. See if he can't "fix you." ;)

Of course, none of that would necessarily be true on your part. It'd just be nice for him to hear from you if he's such a devout believer in God.

JayeM
05-25-2005, 03:10 PM
I agree with Alex...while it's good that you told the truth, you didn't have to elaborate it into an insult to his own beliefs. So, ok, what was his reaction?

SixTen
05-25-2005, 03:16 PM
I probably would have just played along with him, while still trying to leave out details about what church I go to... because I don't go to church.

I hate when people try to get into really involved conversations with me about religion. I have my beliefs and whenever the subject comes up everyone tells me I'm wrong and I'm going to hell.

Anyway, you told the truth to your boss, and didn't take the poser way out (like I said I would do) so I'll applaud you for that.

Glitch
05-25-2005, 03:18 PM
ok, I think I got enough replies to say his reaction.....

He didn't really say anything, but seems to act different around me ever since. But not in a bad way. He seems to have a lot more respect for me now.

vegeta1215
05-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Honesty in good, but sometimes people react very strongly to questions like that, especially if those people are very religious themselves. I probably would've said that I'd rather not talk about it, or something similar to what AlexMax said.

Yoshiman
05-25-2005, 04:00 PM
I learned in my career classes that job interview questions based on religion, sexual orientation, heiritage, ect are illegal. O_o

I'm pretty sure these questions aren't allowed. BUt it was pretty good of you to be honest.

Glitch
05-25-2005, 04:11 PM
I learned in my career classes that job interview questions based on religion, sexual orientation, heiritage, ect are illegal. O_o

I'm pretty sure these questions aren't allowed. BUt it was pretty good of you to be honest.

This was far from being a interview. I already have the job and have been promised the boss' job when he retires. And he's damn close right now, about to turn 61.

Gerudo
05-25-2005, 04:26 PM
I hope being an athiest won't get you fired, because that would be wrong, just like it's wrong to fire somebody for being gay.
You're a real winner if you think anyone can be fired on the basis of religion or sexual preference.

If the subject comes up, I always make it well known that I couldn't care less about God, or relogion in general.

Lee, don't worry about it. He asked you, you told him. He can't expect everyone to share his beleifs.

Samson007
05-25-2005, 04:42 PM
I would have lied and said that yes I do believe in God. Even though for me it wouldnt be a lie. Just think for a minute. If your saying you believe in God and your wrong, there is no penalty for being wrong. If you dont believe in God and your wrong, well then you know what awaits you in the afterlife.

Rainman
05-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Fuck, I don't I would have been so bold. I haven't been publicly forthcoming with my religious beliefs. Hell, not even my parents know that I am now fully atheist. I remember at one point a driving instructor started talking about various religious things. He belittled a few christian sects. I became increasingly aware of how religious he was and quickly decided that silence was my best action. I wasn't really in a position to be bold. I didn't really like the guy before hand so I didn't really care whether he liked me or not. The driving in the back hills wasn't the best spot for religious debate anyway.

Eckels
05-25-2005, 07:13 PM
I would have let my eyes roll back in my head and screamed in a wretched tone:

"Without God, than the Almighty Lucifer would not exist! HAIL THE DARK LORD!"

Then throw on some Deicide.

BTW, I'm offended that I didn't come up in your conversation.

whationcewas
05-25-2005, 10:58 PM
ya shoulda tried to change the subject with a line like, "How about those Damned Druids"? While not dis-respecting the Druids, I'm sure that might have given him enuff food for thought to leave you alone long enuff to think of some better way out of the situation, even if it meant jumping out of a moving car.

Strider1982
05-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Well, you're certainly entitled to your own opinion. I'm a Christian, but I don't believe in bashing someone who believes differently than me. I can't stand Christians who force their opinions on others on pain of death, an action which is actually completely against the Bible.

If you felt this person was criticizing your beliefs, then you're certainly in the right for defending them. If he felt that you were being blunt, then maybe he just didn't understand where you were coming from.

I really don't understand what started the whole situation, but I certainly think you have the right to stand up for yourself.

BTW, please don't bash me for being a Christian. I'm not one of those pseudo-religious fanatics who try and condemn everyone to hell.

Dark Knight
05-26-2005, 07:03 AM
I would have done the same thing if I were in your shoes, Glitch. Honesty is alot better then lying, most of the time anyways. Also, it may have been a regular conversation, but he still shouldn't have asked you that, but, that's just my opinion. :shrug:

carrot red
05-26-2005, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't have lied, that's for sure, but I woudn't have gotten into details either. Like you said, it was the last subject you would have wanted to discuss with anyone, (and I'm with you on this one, I never discuss religion or politics with people.) What Alex, vegeta and Rainman said.

Brasel
05-27-2005, 12:19 PM
I'd probably had done the same thing you did. Either that or just said, "Look, I don't really want to discuss this."

Something along those lines. I think that lying is a horrible way out of it. People who would do this, in my opinion, are cowards. Sorry mates.