PDA

View Full Version : How are you still a n00b?

ShadowTiger
05-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Although we have developed mentally (and possibly less so physically, *lol* ) during our stay on these grand internet forums, doubtless, we still have a little part of us that hasn't continued to grow along with the rest of us. What is that part of you?

You can also tell tales of your pre-forum days on the internet.

For example, (And this is quoted from someone's signature, quoted from me.)

Back when I didn't know anything about the internet, I typed in the following into the AskJeeves search bar.

"Dear Mr. Jeeves, thank you very much for all your hard work and dedication. People everywhere benefit from your services daily. Thank you for making the world a better place."

I got back something about Antarctica.Yeah, I loved that.

Nowadays, I'm still somewhat of a n00b. My attitude has probably grown even more lax, which explains my relatively insane behavior on IRC, (Breaker and Alexmax should know. :p ) and why I just can't bring myself to conform to the "standard" attitude here on these particular forums.

Thankfully though, I know far more than when I had begun three years ago.

ShadowTiger
05-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Although we have developed mentally (and possibly less so physically, *lol* ) during our stay on these grand internet forums, doubtless, we still have a little part of us that hasn't continued to grow along with the rest of us. What is that part of you?

You can also tell tales of your pre-forum days on the internet.

For example, (And this is quoted from someone's signature, quoted from me.)

Back when I didn't know anything about the internet, I typed in the following into the AskJeeves search bar.

"Dear Mr. Jeeves, thank you very much for all your hard work and dedication. People everywhere benefit from your services daily. Thank you for making the world a better place."

I got back something about Antarctica.Yeah, I loved that.

Nowadays, I'm still somewhat of a n00b. My attitude has probably grown even more lax, which explains my relatively insane behavior on IRC, (Breaker and Alexmax should know. :p ) and why I just can't bring myself to conform to the "standard" attitude here on these particular forums.

Thankfully though, I know far more than when I had begun three years ago.

Jigglysaint
05-24-2005, 12:48 PM
It's hard to say exactly how I am still a n00b, but I know that AGN has helped me mature a lot in some areas. For one thing, I've learned that taking offense is a rather stupid thing to do. If I ran screeming from #AGN every time somebody trashed my religion, I'd never go back there. Same goes with my voice, photos, cheese slice fetish, whatever. Learning how to take a punch is one key thing I've learned.

Another thing I've learned is that while the mods and administrators sometimes make dumb mistakes, they at least know somewhat of what they are doing.(this board only). I've learned to respect the rules and authority at AGN, despite how I'm sure a handful of them hate my guts(not without justification I reckon). I've also learned too that there are some people who just deserve to be made fun of. Whether it's that asinine troll in GD, or (name blocked out) in RD, some people take themselves too seriously, and expect the world to bow to their whim. True story: After a fight with (name blocked out), I actually prayed to God that He would kill him. I later repented. After that, I tried hard not to take religious discussions so seriously, nor take opposition so personal.

I've been here for close to 5 years already, and I've learned a lot. I am no longer a forum n00b, but when it comes to computers in general, I am still considered one. I remember that thread discussion the death of Super Nova, which I didn't know what it was, and thus mocked it, before remembering my brother showed it to me and bookmarked it. In other words, I don't know that much about internet stuff like the average forum member would. Another n00b tendancy is that sometimes I can act very childish. I like puns and one liners, and often enjoy entering into heavy debates with a quick joke before going back into the shadows. I also find it hard sometimes to write my feelings out instead of talking it out.

Jigglysaint
05-24-2005, 12:48 PM
It's hard to say exactly how I am still a n00b, but I know that AGN has helped me mature a lot in some areas. For one thing, I've learned that taking offense is a rather stupid thing to do. If I ran screeming from #AGN every time somebody trashed my religion, I'd never go back there. Same goes with my voice, photos, cheese slice fetish, whatever. Learning how to take a punch is one key thing I've learned.

Another thing I've learned is that while the mods and administrators sometimes make dumb mistakes, they at least know somewhat of what they are doing.(this board only). I've learned to respect the rules and authority at AGN, despite how I'm sure a handful of them hate my guts(not without justification I reckon). I've also learned too that there are some people who just deserve to be made fun of. Whether it's that asinine troll in GD, or (name blocked out) in RD, some people take themselves too seriously, and expect the world to bow to their whim. True story: After a fight with (name blocked out), I actually prayed to God that He would kill him. I later repented. After that, I tried hard not to take religious discussions so seriously, nor take opposition so personal.

I've been here for close to 5 years already, and I've learned a lot. I am no longer a forum n00b, but when it comes to computers in general, I am still considered one. I remember that thread discussion the death of Super Nova, which I didn't know what it was, and thus mocked it, before remembering my brother showed it to me and bookmarked it. In other words, I don't know that much about internet stuff like the average forum member would. Another n00b tendancy is that sometimes I can act very childish. I like puns and one liners, and often enjoy entering into heavy debates with a quick joke before going back into the shadows. I also find it hard sometimes to write my feelings out instead of talking it out.

JayeM
05-24-2005, 03:11 PM
This is a problem not just on the Internet, but in real life too. I'm a compulsively honest person and I just assume that everyone else is telling the truth too. I've finally gotten through my head that most people lie about themselves and other things on the Internet, but I still get suckered a lot. Just naturally gullible I guess.

JayeM
05-24-2005, 03:11 PM
This is a problem not just on the Internet, but in real life too. I'm a compulsively honest person and I just assume that everyone else is telling the truth too. I've finally gotten through my head that most people lie about themselves and other things on the Internet, but I still get suckered a lot. Just naturally gullible I guess.

Breaker
05-24-2005, 10:51 PM
we still have a little part of us that hasn't continued to grow along with the rest of us. What is that part of you?

My penis. My ego's grown, penis hasn't. :(

Breaker
05-24-2005, 10:51 PM
we still have a little part of us that hasn't continued to grow along with the rest of us. What is that part of you?

My penis. My ego's grown, penis hasn't. :(

Samson007
05-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Back when I first got my computer (1997, still have the same computer as sad as that is) the only thing i could do on it was play those cheap little microsoft games. minesweeper, ect... and it was the greatest thing I had ever seen.

Things have changed just a little bit sinse then.