PDA

View Full Version : Rule-Breaking in D&D Can Be Fun.

ShadowTiger
05-22-2005, 06:27 PM
I D&D with a group of particularly odd people over the summer. (Though most, if not all, D&D'ers are odd, so...) Last Saturday night was my first day again this Summer. We play a party of L3 players, in a desert environment near an emerald mine. So far, we are heading toward an emerald mine to seek our fortunes with a thief we have met, and we just arrived through the desert, (My sister has a Cleric Character who has been casting Protection from The Elements on the party of five every day as we travel, so it just worked out perfectly like that.)

So there we were, walking through the desert to reach this giant cliff to reach the cave into the emerald mines, when these Goblins emerged. We had an Air Mephit fly up, and I (A Barbarian.) climbed the cliff wall, followed by my sister and the sorcerer.

I rolled a couple of 19's, plus a +6 in climb, and got there pretty fast, but stalled midway after a few unsuccessful climb rolls. The sorcerer, however, took a nasty tumble and fell to the ground. Then, my sister, the cleric/healer, ALSO fell, right onto the sorcerer!

It's kinda ironic. The healer of the party fell onto our sorcerer and almost killed him! XD We laughed so hard.

I reached the top with the rogue, killed all the goblins, then a giant orc with a nasty battleaxe took out the rogue (Chopped 'im in two like Darth Maul. Dead. Damnit.) and he got me down from 29 health to 8 health in a single swing. Nasty thing, that. I took him down though, with some help from the sorcerer's two magic arrow spells as he took the long route around to the cave entrance. (I have NO idea how he could see the Orc though. O_O )

In another campaign, we played L17 characters. I was an Aasimer Paladin with a KICKASS sword, ... and my sister was a Druid. She summoned a bear, but failed to specify the location. As we continued to fight the (rather nasty) drow we were fighting, (A small army of them, actually, against just us.) ... This ... bear, falls from the air and into the middle of the group of Drow, killing them outright. We hadn't laughed so hard in ages.

There was this other Campaign that the DM held up in Albany, where his group of people were playing evil-oriented caverns, (Pretty high level, I suppose.) And the end boss of the cavern was an angel-type character sent to kill them. They got beaten up badly, and just when they thought they had the Angel beat, the Angel regenerated most of his health, and the battle lasted for like, .. hours. Eventually, they Beat The Angel, (Guess what game that song is from, BTW.) and one of the group hobbled over the angel, and stamped a giant "PwNeD" stamp onto the Angel's Forehead.

The DM let him keep the stamp for the rest of the campaign as an actual item, with a real value of like, 27 platinum.

Good times. - -,

Ever play D&D, and run into something funny?

ShadowTiger
05-22-2005, 06:27 PM
I D&D with a group of particularly odd people over the summer. (Though most, if not all, D&D'ers are odd, so...) Last Saturday night was my first day again this Summer. We play a party of L3 players, in a desert environment near an emerald mine. So far, we are heading toward an emerald mine to seek our fortunes with a thief we have met, and we just arrived through the desert, (My sister has a Cleric Character who has been casting Protection from The Elements on the party of five every day as we travel, so it just worked out perfectly like that.)

So there we were, walking through the desert to reach this giant cliff to reach the cave into the emerald mines, when these Goblins emerged. We had an Air Mephit fly up, and I (A Barbarian.) climbed the cliff wall, followed by my sister and the sorcerer.

I rolled a couple of 19's, plus a +6 in climb, and got there pretty fast, but stalled midway after a few unsuccessful climb rolls. The sorcerer, however, took a nasty tumble and fell to the ground. Then, my sister, the cleric/healer, ALSO fell, right onto the sorcerer!

It's kinda ironic. The healer of the party fell onto our sorcerer and almost killed him! XD We laughed so hard.

I reached the top with the rogue, killed all the goblins, then a giant orc with a nasty battleaxe took out the rogue (Chopped 'im in two like Darth Maul. Dead. Damnit.) and he got me down from 29 health to 8 health in a single swing. Nasty thing, that. I took him down though, with some help from the sorcerer's two magic arrow spells as he took the long route around to the cave entrance. (I have NO idea how he could see the Orc though. O_O )

In another campaign, we played L17 characters. I was an Aasimer Paladin with a KICKASS sword, ... and my sister was a Druid. She summoned a bear, but failed to specify the location. As we continued to fight the (rather nasty) drow we were fighting, (A small army of them, actually, against just us.) ... This ... bear, falls from the air and into the middle of the group of Drow, killing them outright. We hadn't laughed so hard in ages.

There was this other Campaign that the DM held up in Albany, where his group of people were playing evil-oriented caverns, (Pretty high level, I suppose.) And the end boss of the cavern was an angel-type character sent to kill them. They got beaten up badly, and just when they thought they had the Angel beat, the Angel regenerated most of his health, and the battle lasted for like, .. hours. Eventually, they Beat The Angel, (Guess what game that song is from, BTW.) and one of the group hobbled over the angel, and stamped a giant "PwNeD" stamp onto the Angel's Forehead.

The DM let him keep the stamp for the rest of the campaign as an actual item, with a real value of like, 27 platinum.

Good times. - -,

Ever play D&D, and run into something funny?

Darth Marsden
05-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Regretably, I have never played DnD outside of games like Baldur's Gate. It's a shame, really. I'd really like to try it, because it seems the sort of thing I'd quite enjoy. Maybe in the future. Or if some of my fellow forumers live in the south of England..?

And as for the song, I guess at... Final Fantasy? No, it can't be, I've got all the soundtracks and I'd know if it was there. Umm... Tales of Symposia (or whatever it was called)?

Darth Marsden
05-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Regretably, I have never played DnD outside of games like Baldur's Gate. It's a shame, really. I'd really like to try it, because it seems the sort of thing I'd quite enjoy. Maybe in the future. Or if some of my fellow forumers live in the south of England..?

And as for the song, I guess at... Final Fantasy? No, it can't be, I've got all the soundtracks and I'd know if it was there. Umm... Tales of Symposia (or whatever it was called)?

Axel
05-23-2005, 04:38 PM
I've had some good times. Once, in a very early campaign my dad was DM'ing with me, my brothers and a friend back in 2nd edition, the party reached an abandoned elvish summoning complex. It was a level 1 party with me playing a halfling fighter/thief, one brother as an elvish ranger, the youngest as a mage, and my bros friend as a cleric. When the party reached the entrance the doors were shut, we tried pushing on them, then bashed, and rammed them. Finally the ranger jams his sword into the door in frustration and it gets stuck, he tries to yank it out and the door swings open easily. We'd been pushing on a pull door....
Once inside we were in a small room with a pit in the center. Sadly no one remembered rope and the party was forced to free-climb down. The ranger, mage, cleric, and finally my halfling try to climb down. Each of them, in turn, falls. The cleric landed on the mage, who landed on the ranger. My thief easily climbs down, looks at the pile of his friends, and collapses laughing.

Axel
05-23-2005, 04:38 PM
I've had some good times. Once, in a very early campaign my dad was DM'ing with me, my brothers and a friend back in 2nd edition, the party reached an abandoned elvish summoning complex. It was a level 1 party with me playing a halfling fighter/thief, one brother as an elvish ranger, the youngest as a mage, and my bros friend as a cleric. When the party reached the entrance the doors were shut, we tried pushing on them, then bashed, and rammed them. Finally the ranger jams his sword into the door in frustration and it gets stuck, he tries to yank it out and the door swings open easily. We'd been pushing on a pull door....
Once inside we were in a small room with a pit in the center. Sadly no one remembered rope and the party was forced to free-climb down. The ranger, mage, cleric, and finally my halfling try to climb down. Each of them, in turn, falls. The cleric landed on the mage, who landed on the ranger. My thief easily climbs down, looks at the pile of his friends, and collapses laughing.

ShadowTiger
05-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Darth Marsden - The Latter. ;) Symphonia. Damned good game.

Oh. And in that desert, ... ... there's a small chance that we're going to have to eat the camel we brought along to carry the emeralds. o_o; Maybe. I dunno. We're going to be amassing a small army (With the person who played the (dead) rogue being the L6 General leading that army, so he can play again.) to liberate some goblins from their orc masters.

You know, ... the monster with the single greatest amount of experience points yielded, is the DM. o_o

ShadowTiger
05-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Darth Marsden - The Latter. ;) Symphonia. Damned good game.

Oh. And in that desert, ... ... there's a small chance that we're going to have to eat the camel we brought along to carry the emeralds. o_o; Maybe. I dunno. We're going to be amassing a small army (With the person who played the (dead) rogue being the L6 General leading that army, so he can play again.) to liberate some goblins from their orc masters.

You know, ... the monster with the single greatest amount of experience points yielded, is the DM. o_o

Foxx
05-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Hmmm........ I've never played D&D but maybe I should (have). Looks like a game where RPG and text adventure collide.

Foxx
05-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Hmmm........ I've never played D&D but maybe I should (have). Looks like a game where RPG and text adventure collide.

ShadowTiger
05-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Oh, indeed. Quite so. ... Or at least the way we've been playing. Basically, you can do whatever the heck your character should be able to do, totally exclusive of any pre-defined rules. You say what your character does, and a roll of the die determines how successful you are at it. ... A'ight, quote time.

Oh, heck yeah. I mean, it sounds like it's pretty lame, but it can get really intense, really fast. The amount of stats that you have to fill out look fairly intimidating at first, (OR, can seem fairly tame.) But the action gets really hot pretty fast, as not ALL of the action is based upon a roll of the dice. You're actually roleplaying this person, with a group of other people. What you say you do, YOU DO in the game! O_O

My Barbarian blocked the door to the tavern when the rogue who had stolen our sorcerer's money was, ... and I had a pretty darn good intimidation factor too. Nobody would come near me. - -, Heh. But I had an intelligence of 10, (And a wisdom of 8. -_-; ) So although I had two extra skill points, I didn't learn a language. It would have come out gutteral anyway. XD

So you can pretty much do whatever you'd like. Some of your actions will have a dice-roll attached to it though, so you'll roll to see if your action succeeds.

Intimidation, for example, has a roll to it. When I had squared off against the Orc at the mouth of the Emerald Cave, I had rolled a 6 or something. With my +6 or so bonus to intimidation, that was only a 12. The orc needed something higher, so I didn't end up intimidating it, or had simply "failed" at it. (I.e. looked in the wrong direction when I growled or something. icon_razz.gif icon_lol.gif .. Hilarious.) Yeah.

The rogue I was chasing down earlier, who joined our party, had hid on top of the cliff, and jumped down onto the orc, stabbed a few goblins, then hid behind a rock when they had all been scared back INTO the cave by the Air-mephit of our party blowing sand on them. ... All that was perfectly capable of happening, and all had a dice roll attached to it.

ShadowTiger
05-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Oh, indeed. Quite so. ... Or at least the way we've been playing. Basically, you can do whatever the heck your character should be able to do, totally exclusive of any pre-defined rules. You say what your character does, and a roll of the die determines how successful you are at it. ... A'ight, quote time.

Oh, heck yeah. I mean, it sounds like it's pretty lame, but it can get really intense, really fast. The amount of stats that you have to fill out look fairly intimidating at first, (OR, can seem fairly tame.) But the action gets really hot pretty fast, as not ALL of the action is based upon a roll of the dice. You're actually roleplaying this person, with a group of other people. What you say you do, YOU DO in the game! O_O

My Barbarian blocked the door to the tavern when the rogue who had stolen our sorcerer's money was, ... and I had a pretty darn good intimidation factor too. Nobody would come near me. - -, Heh. But I had an intelligence of 10, (And a wisdom of 8. -_-; ) So although I had two extra skill points, I didn't learn a language. It would have come out gutteral anyway. XD

So you can pretty much do whatever you'd like. Some of your actions will have a dice-roll attached to it though, so you'll roll to see if your action succeeds.

Intimidation, for example, has a roll to it. When I had squared off against the Orc at the mouth of the Emerald Cave, I had rolled a 6 or something. With my +6 or so bonus to intimidation, that was only a 12. The orc needed something higher, so I didn't end up intimidating it, or had simply "failed" at it. (I.e. looked in the wrong direction when I growled or something. icon_razz.gif icon_lol.gif .. Hilarious.) Yeah.

The rogue I was chasing down earlier, who joined our party, had hid on top of the cliff, and jumped down onto the orc, stabbed a few goblins, then hid behind a rock when they had all been scared back INTO the cave by the Air-mephit of our party blowing sand on them. ... All that was perfectly capable of happening, and all had a dice roll attached to it.

Darth Marsden
05-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Wah! Now I REALLY want to play!

Maybe we could arrange something over MSN or something? Come on, you know you want to.

Darth Marsden
05-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Wah! Now I REALLY want to play!

Maybe we could arrange something over MSN or something? Come on, you know you want to.