PDA

View Full Version : Linux Problems

deathbyhokie
05-22-2005, 12:52 PM
So i've finally gone and installed redhat fedora on one of my computers here at home. It's not bad, but i'm having a problem convincing it to connect to the internet. I can't seem to figure out how to get a driver to install properly for the ethernet connector i have on the motherboard. If anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

deathbyhokie
05-22-2005, 12:52 PM
So i've finally gone and installed redhat fedora on one of my computers here at home. It's not bad, but i'm having a problem convincing it to connect to the internet. I can't seem to figure out how to get a driver to install properly for the ethernet connector i have on the motherboard. If anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

AlexMax
05-22-2005, 02:01 PM
If you have an nForce motherboard,then you probably have nVidia onboard eithernet. There are drivers for them, but they're not opensource, so they're not typically included with distributions. You can find them on nVidia's website.

To be honest, I never sucessfully set mine up. The driver would install, but past that I would have no idea what to do. Luckily, I had two eithernet ports, and one of them was powered by a Marvell chip so I just used that.

AlexMax
05-22-2005, 02:01 PM
If you have an nForce motherboard,then you probably have nVidia onboard eithernet. There are drivers for them, but they're not opensource, so they're not typically included with distributions. You can find them on nVidia's website.

To be honest, I never sucessfully set mine up. The driver would install, but past that I would have no idea what to do. Luckily, I had two eithernet ports, and one of them was powered by a Marvell chip so I just used that.

Master Ghaleon
05-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Did you install icecubes into your computer and give it the old boot down the stairs yet?

I get frustrated when i know i did everything possible to make something work and it still gives ya shit. I wish i could help ya out man.

Master Ghaleon
05-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Did you install icecubes into your computer and give it the old boot down the stairs yet?

I get frustrated when i know i did everything possible to make something work and it still gives ya shit. I wish i could help ya out man.

deathbyhokie
05-22-2005, 02:49 PM
The motherboard is an Aopen one, and the ethernet one it is a realtek RTL8110S. I've managed to find linux drivers for it, i just can't figure out how i'm supposed to install it, as i know very little code.

deathbyhokie
05-22-2005, 02:49 PM
The motherboard is an Aopen one, and the ethernet one it is a realtek RTL8110S. I've managed to find linux drivers for it, i just can't figure out how i'm supposed to install it, as i know very little code.

Deviance
05-22-2005, 04:39 PM
I said screw it with linux two months back. You have to pretty much compile and edit every little thing. I'm better off with windows. Haven't had Win XP crash on me yet.

Deviance
05-22-2005, 04:39 PM
I said screw it with linux two months back. You have to pretty much compile and edit every little thing. I'm better off with windows. Haven't had Win XP crash on me yet.