PDA

View Full Version : pallet questions and more.

KlonoaDreamer
05-22-2005, 05:43 AM
Say you wanted to make your own graphics & sprites from scratch. How many colors are you allowed on your pallet, is there an on screen max of colors per a predefined number of pixels say 8 x 8 or 16 x 16 etc. Is your main character necessarily limited to the pre defined link area of 16 x 16 pixels or can he/she be somewhat bigger? say taller like some enemies are, of coarse I under stand that my animations would have to be modified to fit his/her swing radius, swimming, holding of shield and Items etc. Are we actually working with 16 bit or 32? and even though we don't have the ability to jump yet I have seen people do side-scroller type parts to their games, so what inhibits me from making a sequel to say Castlevania: Symphony of the night in the same style. Just some stuff that's been on my mind.

KD

" For me its really about telling great stories, and for another person to be able not only to read them in a sense but essentially live out my stories through the format of an action adventure RPG..... For me.... not much can compare! well, except maybe leading people to christ but thats alittle different."

KlonoaDreamer
05-22-2005, 05:43 AM
Say you wanted to make your own graphics & sprites from scratch. How many colors are you allowed on your pallet, is there an on screen max of colors per a predefined number of pixels say 8 x 8 or 16 x 16 etc. Is your main character necessarily limited to the pre defined link area of 16 x 16 pixels or can he/she be somewhat bigger? say taller like some enemies are, of coarse I under stand that my animations would have to be modified to fit his/her swing radius, swimming, holding of shield and Items etc. Are we actually working with 16 bit or 32? and even though we don't have the ability to jump yet I have seen people do side-scroller type parts to their games, so what inhibits me from making a sequel to say Castlevania: Symphony of the night in the same style. Just some stuff that's been on my mind.

KD

" For me its really about telling great stories, and for another person to be able not only to read them in a sense but essentially live out my stories through the format of an action adventure RPG..... For me.... not much can compare! well, except maybe leading people to christ but thats alittle different."

Rakki
05-22-2005, 06:36 AM
Link IS limited to 16x16 tiles currently, you cannot make him any bigger than that. If you could, I'm sure the quests using LttP graphics would already have the same Link(32x32 pixels instead of 16x16). As for sprites, the limitation is 16 colors. You can only use 1 cset on ANY sprite, including bosses and even Ganon(well, technically, Ganon uses 2 csets, though the second one is for him flashing, when he's vulnerable to the arrow). The limit for tiles is 1 palette per screen, and for the underworld, either 1 or 2 different csets that each tile is able to use, but again, more than 16 colors per tile cannot be shown. What I mean is, you can arrange the colors in a pallet's csets to show tiles in different colors, but the same shades of light/dark per color. Normally, you can use just 1 cset for tiles in a dungeon(cset 2), with the other two being for lava and water, light and dark(csets 3 and 4, I'm not sure what cset 9 does and I think cset gray 2 is for palette cycled darkness), but you can sacrifice lava completely, water completely, or light/dark water/lava to give yourself an extra cset to use. You just put the two types of lava/water you want to use on cset 4 and arrange colors in cset 3 to recolor tiles as you want them to. So anyway, we're actually working with 16-bit graphics here, we can just make it SEEM like 32 since we can make NPC's bigger than 16x16(since they just need to stand still).

Rakki
05-22-2005, 06:36 AM
Link IS limited to 16x16 tiles currently, you cannot make him any bigger than that. If you could, I'm sure the quests using LttP graphics would already have the same Link(32x32 pixels instead of 16x16). As for sprites, the limitation is 16 colors. You can only use 1 cset on ANY sprite, including bosses and even Ganon(well, technically, Ganon uses 2 csets, though the second one is for him flashing, when he's vulnerable to the arrow). The limit for tiles is 1 palette per screen, and for the underworld, either 1 or 2 different csets that each tile is able to use, but again, more than 16 colors per tile cannot be shown. What I mean is, you can arrange the colors in a pallet's csets to show tiles in different colors, but the same shades of light/dark per color. Normally, you can use just 1 cset for tiles in a dungeon(cset 2), with the other two being for lava and water, light and dark(csets 3 and 4, I'm not sure what cset 9 does and I think cset gray 2 is for palette cycled darkness), but you can sacrifice lava completely, water completely, or light/dark water/lava to give yourself an extra cset to use. You just put the two types of lava/water you want to use on cset 4 and arrange colors in cset 3 to recolor tiles as you want them to. So anyway, we're actually working with 16-bit graphics here, we can just make it SEEM like 32 since we can make NPC's bigger than 16x16(since they just need to stand still).