PDA

View Full Version : Shiites, Sunnis, and Ragheads, Oh My!

Brasel
05-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey guys, I know that I'm much more active around here lately, but I thought some of you might still enjoy an update. So here goes.

My supervisor went on leave, so I had to take over the computer networking business while he's gone. Its a tough job, I had to make a quarter mile long cat5e (ethernet cable) run. I had to put two megabit modems on each end and the whole run had to be 20 feet in the air so no humvee's or other vehicles would clip it with their antennas. I'm afraid of heights, so it took a lot for me to get in the bucket lift and put the cable up. I got it up though, and got our company comand centers up on the secret internet. It was really cool that I got this job done myself. Kind of a small victory to see it all go online without my supervisor who everyone seems so dependant on all of the time. I've been busy, but not so busy as to not have any free time.

I got to leave sector a couple times, never as a gunner though. Just sitting in the backseat of the humvee watching the outside world of Baghdad. Its just terrible out there. People live a lot worse than you'd imagine. I didn't know people had it so hard. You see a lot of shacks and half crumbled buildings everywhere you go. Its kind of a wakeup call. You'll never know how good you have it in the U.S, Australia, ect. until you see Iraq.

People here are stupid as hell too. It might not be that their stupid, but just from a different culture or something, but they still seem dumb. They can't drive either. There is no legal driver's licenses here, so you can image. Its really funny when you see young kids driving cars. If theres an accident on the road, everyone tries to drive around it and they don't pay any heed to the injured.

Anyway...enough of that. Anyone else been here? I'm sure SOMEONE has, maybe.

Brasel
05-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey guys, I know that I'm much more active around here lately, but I thought some of you might still enjoy an update. So here goes.

My supervisor went on leave, so I had to take over the computer networking business while he's gone. Its a tough job, I had to make a quarter mile long cat5e (ethernet cable) run. I had to put two megabit modems on each end and the whole run had to be 20 feet in the air so no humvee's or other vehicles would clip it with their antennas. I'm afraid of heights, so it took a lot for me to get in the bucket lift and put the cable up. I got it up though, and got our company comand centers up on the secret internet. It was really cool that I got this job done myself. Kind of a small victory to see it all go online without my supervisor who everyone seems so dependant on all of the time. I've been busy, but not so busy as to not have any free time.

I got to leave sector a couple times, never as a gunner though. Just sitting in the backseat of the humvee watching the outside world of Baghdad. Its just terrible out there. People live a lot worse than you'd imagine. I didn't know people had it so hard. You see a lot of shacks and half crumbled buildings everywhere you go. Its kind of a wakeup call. You'll never know how good you have it in the U.S, Australia, ect. until you see Iraq.

People here are stupid as hell too. It might not be that their stupid, but just from a different culture or something, but they still seem dumb. They can't drive either. There is no legal driver's licenses here, so you can image. Its really funny when you see young kids driving cars. If theres an accident on the road, everyone tries to drive around it and they don't pay any heed to the injured.

Anyway...enough of that. Anyone else been here? I'm sure SOMEONE has, maybe.

gdorf
05-22-2005, 01:29 AM
hey, just wanted to let you know I really appreciate that you take the time to keep us informed. Its nice to see how the war is from a participants point of view. Keep up the great work, and God bless.

gdorf
05-22-2005, 01:29 AM
hey, just wanted to let you know I really appreciate that you take the time to keep us informed. Its nice to see how the war is from a participants point of view. Keep up the great work, and God bless.

Master Ghaleon
05-22-2005, 03:29 AM
Nope never been there and I really dont wanna go there either.

Master Ghaleon
05-22-2005, 03:29 AM
Nope never been there and I really dont wanna go there either.

carrot red
05-22-2005, 01:11 PM
You see a lot of shacks and half crumbled buildings everywhere you go...
This is mostly all we get to see about Iraq on TV, but I thought it was only in the areas that were hit and/or the result of the war.

They can't drive either. There is no legal driver's licenses here, so you can image.
How could there be no legal drivers licence? Where do they learn to drive? Or don't they?

carrot red
05-22-2005, 01:11 PM
You see a lot of shacks and half crumbled buildings everywhere you go...
This is mostly all we get to see about Iraq on TV, but I thought it was only in the areas that were hit and/or the result of the war.

They can't drive either. There is no legal driver's licenses here, so you can image.
How could there be no legal drivers licence? Where do they learn to drive? Or don't they?

Ich
05-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Driver's licenses in the US were created mostly in the interest of collecting a fee. I don't really understand why we need the government to determine your own driving skill, especially considering how the only reason most people have for not having one is revocation (besides not wanting one). They're less about driving than you think.

Ich
05-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Driver's licenses in the US were created mostly in the interest of collecting a fee. I don't really understand why we need the government to determine your own driving skill, especially considering how the only reason most people have for not having one is revocation (besides not wanting one). They're less about driving than you think.