PDA

View Full Version : Associate ZC with .qst files in Windows

Dart Zaidyer
05-15-2005, 08:35 PM
I have lost count of how many times I have had to answer "I double-clicked the quest file and Windows said it crashed HELP HELP!@#%" questions in the past two weeks alone.

I think for the Windows installer, or every time you run Zelda Classic, it should automatically associate itself with .qst files in the registry. That way, when someone foolishly opens the quest with Windows, either it will actually work or ZC will bring up a message saying something like this:

WARNING: Never open a quest file outside of Zelda Classic. It is not designed to work this way. Please refer to the readme for instructions on how to play a custom quest. If you wish to edit this quest, please run ZQuest and open it from there.
When the user clicks the "OK" button, ZC will proceed to run normally. There may also be an "Exit" button to shut down the program right away.

Many people wonder why you can't just tell Windows to open a quest and have ZC magically load it for them, even if they read the directions. This will prevent such trouble.

Dart Zaidyer
05-15-2005, 08:35 PM
I have lost count of how many times I have had to answer "I double-clicked the quest file and Windows said it crashed HELP HELP!@#%" questions in the past two weeks alone.

I think for the Windows installer, or every time you run Zelda Classic, it should automatically associate itself with .qst files in the registry. That way, when someone foolishly opens the quest with Windows, either it will actually work or ZC will bring up a message saying something like this:

WARNING: Never open a quest file outside of Zelda Classic. It is not designed to work this way. Please refer to the readme for instructions on how to play a custom quest. If you wish to edit this quest, please run ZQuest and open it from there.
When the user clicks the "OK" button, ZC will proceed to run normally. There may also be an "Exit" button to shut down the program right away.

Many people wonder why you can't just tell Windows to open a quest and have ZC magically load it for them, even if they read the directions. This will prevent such trouble.

Sephiroth
05-17-2005, 10:54 PM
I completly second that opinion. :O

Sephiroth
05-17-2005, 10:54 PM
I completly second that opinion. :O

4matsy
05-18-2005, 07:58 AM
And I'll third it...the amount of "How do I play quests?" questions lately is enough to make any grown man call for mommy. :sweat:

EDIT: 1337th post. Heh :D

4matsy
05-18-2005, 07:58 AM
And I'll third it...the amount of "How do I play quests?" questions lately is enough to make any grown man call for mommy. :sweat:

EDIT: 1337th post. Heh :D

Rydia
05-21-2005, 05:41 AM
That sounds like a great idea! It'd surely get rid of most newcomers confusion. ^_^

Rydia
05-21-2005, 05:41 AM
That sounds like a great idea! It'd surely get rid of most newcomers confusion. ^_^

Dark Nation
05-21-2005, 10:41 PM
"When I double click on a quest, it opens that stupid Zelda Classic game thing. I want it to open in ZQuest where I can edit it! How do I do this?!!! You ppl are teh stupid!!!!111 Your dum program iz broke! Fiix it!!!!11111"

How do I satisfy both camps?

Dark Nation
05-21-2005, 10:41 PM
"When I double click on a quest, it opens that stupid Zelda Classic game thing. I want it to open in ZQuest where I can edit it! How do I do this?!!! You ppl are teh stupid!!!!111 Your dum program iz broke! Fiix it!!!!11111"

bigjoe
05-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Add an "Open in ZQuest" right click option =p

bigjoe
05-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Add an "Open in ZQuest" right click option =p

Nick
05-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Maybe a middle man program can pop up a launcher type thing?

It would basically give the option to open in ZC or ZQuest... or do nothing and close.

I think this would save the hassle for those "Oops! I accidentally clicked it! Now I have to wait for ZC/ZQuest to load!"

This is assuming that quests could be opened just by double clicking on them... which isn't possible at the moment.

Of course, having a middle man program just say "Sorry. This is not supported. Please open the quest while inside of ZC/ZQuest." would also work.

Nick
05-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Maybe a middle man program can pop up a launcher type thing?

It would basically give the option to open in ZC or ZQuest... or do nothing and close.

I think this would save the hassle for those "Oops! I accidentally clicked it! Now I have to wait for ZC/ZQuest to load!"

This is assuming that quests could be opened just by double clicking on them... which isn't possible at the moment.

Of course, having a middle man program just say "Sorry. This is not supported. Please open the quest while inside of ZC/ZQuest." would also work.

Dart Zaidyer
05-30-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm not altogether sure the warning message should be that simple. I'm starting to see people complain about this in spite of the fact that we plastered warnings everywhere just a week or two ago.

Orion
05-30-2005, 02:20 AM
How about if in order to make a quest playable, you have to export it from ZQuest to a different file type. you could make .qst files playable in Zc, and .qip (quest in progress) files openable in ZQuest. Granted, you would have to create an applicaiton to convert already existing .qst files into .qip files, but yeah, i dunno.

Blonde799
06-01-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm not altogether sure the warning message should be that simple. I'm starting to see people complain about this in spite of the fact that we plastered warnings everywhere just a week or two ago.
Whch proves that no matter how easy something is to do, there will always be someone who can't manage. The warnings are enough, we just need a smart-o-ray.:p

Maybe a prompt like this...

Open .qst file with the ZC player or ZQuest?

->ZC player ZQuest
(the two bottom lines would be buttons, btw)