PDA

View Full Version : The Baby's Nursery

Eckels
05-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Many of you know that My wife and I are expecting a baby in just a few weeks, and that I had been working on the nursery for a little while. Well, I finished it a few weeks ago, but never got out the camera to show it off, so here we go :)

I came up with the design myself, and did most of the work myself. (my wife helped with the painting, but I did the majority of it, as well as the floor, the electrical (had to run wires for the new ceiling light), and the doors in the closet.

It came out beautifully. Some of the pictures are blurry (sorry, i'm too lazy to go take more), and the lighting isn't the greatest in the photos, but the room so bright and cheery that you can't help but smile when you walk into it.

The walls are a very bright yellow (Tigger's Tummy - disney collection), the sky (ceiling) is a beautiful bright blue (100-Acre Blue), and the trim is all done in ultra white. There is a white stripe painted about 8" below the ceiling corners, to bring the walls down a bit, and make the ceiling look taller. It gives the appearance of the whole room looking much bigger than it is.

I installed a new pergo floor, honey oak color. It matches the chair and the crib that are already in the room.

The lamp was a fairly rare piece that I had to search very hard to find, looks like a sun. beautiful on or off.

Anyways, Here's the pictures. They don't do it justice at all. So far everyone who's walked into the room has either dropped their jaw to the floor, or started giggling with delight. I myself am even surprised at how pretty it's turned out.

The room isn't actually decorated yet with mobiles, or anything like that yet. I do have a big stuffed hot air balloon that i plan to hang from the ceiling, and some other decorations, but those are just icing at this point. I should also add that the furniture isn't arranged in any way either. Right now it's all just sitting in random places in the room.

(I apologize for rambling, but i'm very proud of this room)

Eckels
05-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Many of you know that My wife and I are expecting a baby in just a few weeks, and that I had been working on the nursery for a little while. Well, I finished it a few weeks ago, but never got out the camera to show it off, so here we go :)

I came up with the design myself, and did most of the work myself. (my wife helped with the painting, but I did the majority of it, as well as the floor, the electrical (had to run wires for the new ceiling light), and the doors in the closet.

It came out beautifully. Some of the pictures are blurry (sorry, i'm too lazy to go take more), and the lighting isn't the greatest in the photos, but the room so bright and cheery that you can't help but smile when you walk into it.

The walls are a very bright yellow (Tigger's Tummy - disney collection), the sky (ceiling) is a beautiful bright blue (100-Acre Blue), and the trim is all done in ultra white. There is a white stripe painted about 8" below the ceiling corners, to bring the walls down a bit, and make the ceiling look taller. It gives the appearance of the whole room looking much bigger than it is.

I installed a new pergo floor, honey oak color. It matches the chair and the crib that are already in the room.

The lamp was a fairly rare piece that I had to search very hard to find, looks like a sun. beautiful on or off.

Anyways, Here's the pictures. They don't do it justice at all. So far everyone who's walked into the room has either dropped their jaw to the floor, or started giggling with delight. I myself am even surprised at how pretty it's turned out.

The room isn't actually decorated yet with mobiles, or anything like that yet. I do have a big stuffed hot air balloon that i plan to hang from the ceiling, and some other decorations, but those are just icing at this point. I should also add that the furniture isn't arranged in any way either. Right now it's all just sitting in random places in the room.

(I apologize for rambling, but i'm very proud of this room)

moocow
05-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Wow, Ecks, that room is AMAZING! I'm jealous! Bladen's bed is at the foot of mine, and that's his room, for now. So jealous.

moocow
05-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Wow, Ecks, that room is AMAZING! I'm jealous! Bladen's bed is at the foot of mine, and that's his room, for now. So jealous.

carrot red
05-15-2005, 08:09 PM
You have every reason to be proud of it because you came up with the design and did it all yourself. I love the colors. The ceiling and the lamp are a beauty.

carrot red
05-15-2005, 08:09 PM
You have every reason to be proud of it because you came up with the design and did it all yourself. I love the colors. The ceiling and the lamp are a beauty.

Drunken Tiger
05-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Are you gonna sign the baby up? Whats with the recent influx of babies at AGN!!

Great nursery, especially love the ceiling dude! :thumbsup:

Drunken Tiger
05-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Are you gonna sign the baby up? Whats with the recent influx of babies at AGN!!

Great nursery, especially love the ceiling dude! :thumbsup:

AtmaWeapon
05-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Geez Eck, great job! You outdid yourself and if you are half as careful parenting as you were doing that room the kid's going to turn out awesome.

I especially like that picture of the tree and the grass you hung, it really lights up the room and was a great choice :)

I have one grave concern, though. I don't see a TV for video games or a Game Boy anywhere in the room. You have to get kids on games early or they'll turn out to be sociopaths!

*edit* I really like the ceiling and light fixture. So many people spend all their time working on walls that they leave the ceiling white and boring. I wish my ceiling had been that cool when I was a kid.

AtmaWeapon
05-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Geez Eck, great job! You outdid yourself and if you are half as careful parenting as you were doing that room the kid's going to turn out awesome.

I especially like that picture of the tree and the grass you hung, it really lights up the room and was a great choice :)

I have one grave concern, though. I don't see a TV for video games or a Game Boy anywhere in the room. You have to get kids on games early or they'll turn out to be sociopaths!

*edit* I really like the ceiling and light fixture. So many people spend all their time working on walls that they leave the ceiling white and boring. I wish my ceiling had been that cool when I was a kid.

Drunken Tiger
05-15-2005, 09:51 PM
I agree with atma, has to be the good stuff though, like GTA, Soldier of Fortune, CS, Max Payne etc etc etc... ;)

Drunken Tiger
05-15-2005, 09:51 PM
I agree with atma, has to be the good stuff though, like GTA, Soldier of Fortune, CS, Max Payne etc etc etc... ;)

Eckels
05-15-2005, 10:22 PM
actually i've been thinking about that a lot.

I think i'm going to have the cable disconnected before the kid is old enough to get glued to it.

When i was young, Before video games I used to build incredible things out of cardboard and masking tape. I had model rockets, cheap ones, but fun nonetheless. I would spend hours building racetracks for marbles to run down. My cousins and I would build weapons from wrapping paper tubes, and battle for the fate of the living room. We'd run around in the woods and build forts. We spent our youths using our imagination and creativity.

I'd much rather he get glued to building blocks, or legos, or any number of other toys that require an active thinking process. Like us 25+ year olds had, before Super mario showed us how to sit on our asses and exercise our thumbs.

I also want to make every effort to keep the kid from suckling on the kid show marketing breast. No barney, no teletubbies, no elmo.

And definately no game boy.

Eckels
05-15-2005, 10:22 PM
actually i've been thinking about that a lot.

I think i'm going to have the cable disconnected before the kid is old enough to get glued to it.

When i was young, Before video games I used to build incredible things out of cardboard and masking tape. I had model rockets, cheap ones, but fun nonetheless. I would spend hours building racetracks for marbles to run down. My cousins and I would build weapons from wrapping paper tubes, and battle for the fate of the living room. We'd run around in the woods and build forts. We spent our youths using our imagination and creativity.

I'd much rather he get glued to building blocks, or legos, or any number of other toys that require an active thinking process. Like us 25+ year olds had, before Super mario showed us how to sit on our asses and exercise our thumbs.

I also want to make every effort to keep the kid from suckling on the kid show marketing breast. No barney, no teletubbies, no elmo.

And definately no game boy.

Jigglysaint
05-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Sounds like great parenting in action. I remember my childhood before I found video games. I was so young, so eager, so imaginative. Heck, I wasn't even as weird as I am today. Gaming can be fun, but set limits or your child may use game as much a crutch as alcohol or other addicting substances.

As for no Barney and such, don't stop there. Throw out that TV, you don't need it except when there's somthing you really want to watch, or if you want to play DVD's. Most if not all of today's TV programs are pure crap, and your kids will thank you later when they are studying for that big test before reaching for that remote. Also, never underestimate the natural temperment of your child. For me, I know that while I was given the diet of games and TV, I am one of the unlucky ones who became too distracted with such things that I started to have trouble in school. As I await my doctor's note so I can finish my application for going on Disabiliy, I often ponder what my life would have been like if I had never become aquainted with Link and Mario. Since I never want to see what happened to me happen to anybody else, I always advocate moderation with video games. 14 year olds should not be pulling all nighters to finish that RPG that was rented for the weekend. Games are for relaxing, not a career. Life passed me by, and my temperment was one that since I found it hard to make friends, an activity such as gaming was there to ease the pain of lonliness. Fortuantly today I have more friends than ever before, but the addiction still remains.

Anyway, nice pictures. It's always good to see somebody with hobbies that doesn't require a mouse. I am envious of people who have skills like that, or have athletic ability, or lots of energy. Of course for what I'm not, I am also a lot of things that many people arn't, and that comforts me some.

Jigglysaint
05-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Sounds like great parenting in action. I remember my childhood before I found video games. I was so young, so eager, so imaginative. Heck, I wasn't even as weird as I am today. Gaming can be fun, but set limits or your child may use game as much a crutch as alcohol or other addicting substances.

As for no Barney and such, don't stop there. Throw out that TV, you don't need it except when there's somthing you really want to watch, or if you want to play DVD's. Most if not all of today's TV programs are pure crap, and your kids will thank you later when they are studying for that big test before reaching for that remote. Also, never underestimate the natural temperment of your child. For me, I know that while I was given the diet of games and TV, I am one of the unlucky ones who became too distracted with such things that I started to have trouble in school. As I await my doctor's note so I can finish my application for going on Disabiliy, I often ponder what my life would have been like if I had never become aquainted with Link and Mario. Since I never want to see what happened to me happen to anybody else, I always advocate moderation with video games. 14 year olds should not be pulling all nighters to finish that RPG that was rented for the weekend. Games are for relaxing, not a career. Life passed me by, and my temperment was one that since I found it hard to make friends, an activity such as gaming was there to ease the pain of lonliness. Fortuantly today I have more friends than ever before, but the addiction still remains.

Anyway, nice pictures. It's always good to see somebody with hobbies that doesn't require a mouse. I am envious of people who have skills like that, or have athletic ability, or lots of energy. Of course for what I'm not, I am also a lot of things that many people arn't, and that comforts me some.

zoraking
05-17-2005, 06:25 PM
I <3 that floor! I'm getting my new room done in that same color that is on the walls. I <3 that color! I wish you the best of luck for your life with your kid or possibly to come (if you do the right stuff :p) kids.

zoraking
05-17-2005, 06:25 PM
I <3 that floor! I'm getting my new room done in that same color that is on the walls. I <3 that color! I wish you the best of luck for your life with your kid or possibly to come (if you do the right stuff :p) kids.