PDA

View Full Version : The original Legend of Sonic the Hedgehog... undergoing revival from the dead

Strider1982
05-15-2005, 02:06 AM
Almost three years after being slammed by a virus that destroyed my old computer's memory including EVERYTHING I had worked so hard on regarding my old Legend of Sonic the Hedgehog 1st quest remake (well, except for my old demo and some tiles and screenshots), I've finally decided to go ahead and get it back underway.

First of all, for those of you who don't know me, I'm a long-time AGN member who doesn't post very often. I started a Sonic the Hedgehog tileset and 1st quest remake back in early 2001 (I'm not copying SuperStrider's idea, as I made the original Sonic quest). I released a demo in the early stages which included three dungeons and showed off some of the fighting techniques like using a Spin Dash instead of swords. The demo is still available in one of the Zelda Classic Network download pages if you want to check it out, but I'll warn you that it's an early version of the quest and the graphics are nowhere near as detailed as I ended up making them. You can check out some screenshots of the later versions if you search for the old "Legend of Sonic Facelift" thread.

Anyway, when I was nearing completion of the quest back in late 2002 and getting it ready for betatesters, a virus that had been unleashed on my college campus network struck my hard drive and corrupted about 99% of the system. I only managed to save a few small ZC files.

I gave up and had no desire to retry after all my work was lost. So please, those of you who remember me, I beg you to not bash me for being gone for such a long time and giving you guys no notice. Honestly I was ticked off beyond words and didn't want anything to do with ZC.

But...college is almost over and I now have a lot more time on my hands. I've revived my interest in ZC (especially with the awesome new version!) and am getting the Legend of Sonic under production again. All I can say about the completion date is that it will be done sometime this year.

It's great to be back. Again, I apologize for everything... for letting you guys down and just sneaking off for so long.

I hope they caught that moron who unleashed the virus...

Strider1982
05-15-2005, 02:06 AM
Almost three years after being slammed by a virus that destroyed my old computer's memory including EVERYTHING I had worked so hard on regarding my old Legend of Sonic the Hedgehog 1st quest remake (well, except for my old demo and some tiles and screenshots), I've finally decided to go ahead and get it back underway.

First of all, for those of you who don't know me, I'm a long-time AGN member who doesn't post very often. I started a Sonic the Hedgehog tileset and 1st quest remake back in early 2001 (I'm not copying SuperStrider's idea, as I made the original Sonic quest). I released a demo in the early stages which included three dungeons and showed off some of the fighting techniques like using a Spin Dash instead of swords. The demo is still available in one of the Zelda Classic Network download pages if you want to check it out, but I'll warn you that it's an early version of the quest and the graphics are nowhere near as detailed as I ended up making them. You can check out some screenshots of the later versions if you search for the old "Legend of Sonic Facelift" thread.

Anyway, when I was nearing completion of the quest back in late 2002 and getting it ready for betatesters, a virus that had been unleashed on my college campus network struck my hard drive and corrupted about 99% of the system. I only managed to save a few small ZC files.

I gave up and had no desire to retry after all my work was lost. So please, those of you who remember me, I beg you to not bash me for being gone for such a long time and giving you guys no notice. Honestly I was ticked off beyond words and didn't want anything to do with ZC.

But...college is almost over and I now have a lot more time on my hands. I've revived my interest in ZC (especially with the awesome new version!) and am getting the Legend of Sonic under production again. All I can say about the completion date is that it will be done sometime this year.

It's great to be back. Again, I apologize for everything... for letting you guys down and just sneaking off for so long.

I hope they caught that moron who unleashed the virus...

Strider1982
05-16-2005, 01:29 AM
I hope this doesn't count as double posting since it's been 24 hours since I started this thread - deepest apologies if it does. But anyway, here's a link to the original Legend of Sonic 1st Quest remake demo if you want to check it out.

http://www.zcnetwork.net/questdb/showquest.php?q=60

But keep in mind that this is the quest in VERY early stages. The tiles and everything have gone MAJOR improvements since. This demo was mainly just to give an idea of the overall feel.

And here's the old site that had pics of the quest's makeover before the virus attacked. I'm TRYING to get the quest back together. PLEASE do not steal these pics to make your own tiles. I'll release the Sonic tileset eventually.

http://cloud.prohosting.com/~stridr82/untitled.html

As this quest is under reconstruction, I'd appreciate any comments, feedback or suggestions. Just no flaming for being gone so long.

Again, sorry for the "double" post, but I had neglected to provide links.

Strider1982
05-16-2005, 01:29 AM
I hope this doesn't count as double posting since it's been 24 hours since I started this thread - deepest apologies if it does. But anyway, here's a link to the original Legend of Sonic 1st Quest remake demo if you want to check it out.

http://www.zcnetwork.net/questdb/showquest.php?q=60

But keep in mind that this is the quest in VERY early stages. The tiles and everything have gone MAJOR improvements since. This demo was mainly just to give an idea of the overall feel.

And here's the old site that had pics of the quest's makeover before the virus attacked. I'm TRYING to get the quest back together. PLEASE do not steal these pics to make your own tiles. I'll release the Sonic tileset eventually.

http://cloud.prohosting.com/~stridr82/untitled.html

As this quest is under reconstruction, I'd appreciate any comments, feedback or suggestions. Just no flaming for being gone so long.

Again, sorry for the "double" post, but I had neglected to provide links.

zeldafannick
05-16-2005, 06:46 PM
dude this looks cool! im me when it is done plz.

zeldafannick
05-16-2005, 06:46 PM
dude this looks cool! im me when it is done plz.

Sephiroth
05-18-2005, 07:17 AM
This looks better than the demo.. good job. :D

Sephiroth
05-18-2005, 07:17 AM
This looks better than the demo.. good job. :D

Strider1982
05-20-2005, 01:22 AM
Just wondering, is there anyone who's good at designing incredibly tough dungeons who'd be willing to contribute such a dungeon to put in my Sonic quest? It doesn't really matter what graphic set would be use, since I'd replace them with my Sonic tiles.

If anyone would be willing to do so I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm hoping to have a number of secret, well-hidden dungeons (so it's not a typical st quest remake)and I don't really have time to design dungeon layouts right now. I'm too busy redesigning or readjusting the 100+ tiles of my own design that the virus either damaged or destroyed.

Strider1982
05-20-2005, 01:22 AM
Just wondering, is there anyone who's good at designing incredibly tough dungeons who'd be willing to contribute such a dungeon to put in my Sonic quest? It doesn't really matter what graphic set would be use, since I'd replace them with my Sonic tiles.

If anyone would be willing to do so I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm hoping to have a number of secret, well-hidden dungeons (so it's not a typical st quest remake)and I don't really have time to design dungeon layouts right now. I'm too busy redesigning or readjusting the 100+ tiles of my own design that the virus either damaged or destroyed.

Sephiroth
05-20-2005, 10:42 AM

I could probably do such a thing. :p Just let me know what the items will be needed in the dungeon and the item that they will get will be. :p

Sephiroth
05-20-2005, 10:42 AM

I could probably do such a thing. :p Just let me know what the items will be needed in the dungeon and the item that they will get will be. :p

Tom
05-21-2005, 09:41 AM
OMG!!!! Your back Strider, I still have the original demo and I remember the improved screenshots. Then you dissappeared. I was always wondering where you went and what happened to the improved version. Now i know, glad you are back Strider. This will be so cool. J00 roXXors!!!!!!

Tom
05-21-2005, 09:41 AM
OMG!!!! Your back Strider, I still have the original demo and I remember the improved screenshots. Then you dissappeared. I was always wondering where you went and what happened to the improved version. Now i know, glad you are back Strider. This will be so cool. J00 roXXors!!!!!!

Foxx
05-22-2005, 02:22 AM
Man, welcome back. I'd stopped wondering what face of the earth you'd fallen off. :spin: I can understand everything though, I'd be ticked off beyond words too.

Well, there are quite a few other people better at designing dungeons than I am, but I could beta-test this thing when the time comes.

Foxx
05-22-2005, 02:22 AM
Man, welcome back. I'd stopped wondering what face of the earth you'd fallen off. :spin: I can understand everything though, I'd be ticked off beyond words too.

Well, there are quite a few other people better at designing dungeons than I am, but I could beta-test this thing when the time comes.

Strider1982
05-26-2005, 02:54 AM
Snort_2000, if you'd be willing to contribute a dungeon layout, that would be awesome. I'd probably want one of the "newer" items such as Din's Fire for the reward and I really don't care what other items/enemies/bosses are in the dungeon. After all, the dungeon will be an optional hidden level.

I'm working on it as fast as I can. It's still quite a ways from completion, though.

Sephiroth
05-26-2005, 07:40 AM
Snort_2000, if you'd be willing to contribute a dungeon layout, that would be awesome. I'd probably want one of the "newer" items such as Din's Fire for the reward and I really don't care what other items/enemies/bosses are in the dungeon. After all, the dungeon will be an optional hidden level.

By the way, everyone, here's some pictures of the work in progress:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/zelda010.gifhttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/zelda008.gif
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/zelda006.gifhttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/zelda009.gif

I'm working on it as fast as I can. It's still quite a ways from completion, though.
Okay, I'll get to work on it. ^_^

Strider1982
05-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks. i appreciate it.

Sephiroth
05-26-2005, 08:52 PM
quick question.. What does your dungeon sets look like? O_O Do you have the ability for "freeform" dungeons?

Strider1982
05-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Snort_2000:

Well, my dungeon sets are composed of tiles of my own design, and I do have the ability for "freeform" dungeons. That option works fine in 2.10, right?

It doesn't really matter what tileset you use. I'd just draw over everything with Sonic tiles. I'd just need to think of a good "Zone" theme for it, as each dungeon in my quest has a different theme.

By the way, I added a few screenshots to the "Post Quest Screenshots Here" thread at the top of Quest Announcement/Discussion if anyone's interested in checking them out. But if anyone has any suggestions or comments, please post in this thread.

Sephiroth
05-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Snort_2000:

Well, my dungeon sets are composed of tiles of my own design, and I do have the ability for "freeform" dungeons. That option works fine in 2.10, right?

It doesn't really matter what tileset you use. I'd just draw over everything with Sonic tiles. I'd just need to think of a good "Zone" theme for it, as each dungeon in my quest has a different theme.

By the way, I added a few screenshots to the "Post Quest Screenshots Here" thread at the top of Quest Announcement/Discussion if anyone's interested in checking them out. But if anyone has any suggestions or comments, please post in this thread.
freeform dungeons... That would make it easier on me. >_> Thanks.

*goes off to the drawing board and ZQuest*

DarkDragoonX
05-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Awesome. I was really looking forward to that quest, and was quite disappointed when you sailed of the edge of the world, never to be heard from again.

It's great to see you back, and better to see you reviving that quest!

Strider1982
06-11-2005, 03:53 AM
Well, I've been working like heck on the Legend of Sonic the Hedgehog and I'm still making good progress, but I'm not even finished with the overworld yet. Layering is more time consuming than I expected. Also, having a busy job doesn't help...

Anyway, for those of you who are interested, here's some screenshots of the updated look. I fixed a lot of the things that looked rather weird before, like the unfinished subscreen (check out my old screenshots in the thread at the top of the page, they look pretty sub-par). I also fixed the hill tiles to look more rounded and "3d-ish."

Any comments/suggestions would be helpful.

BTW, It's still OK to post screenshots in threads besides the "Screenshots" thread, right? I don't know if there's some new rule or something.
Enjoy.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/ea8b6f1b.gif
Sonic, the Instant Poser.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/7f723013.gif http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/83ba35ba.gif
Sega would probably kill me for stealing those palm trees from Sonic the Hedgehog 2's "Emerald Hill Zone." Here Sonic unwittingly brings a stone guardian to life.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/75fbf061.gif http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/536671c7.gif
Flicky Birds sit and stare at Sonic from the treetops, and the hedgehog glares at Ring monitors that seem out of reach.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/6590d377.gif
Sonic: "Those totem poles are staring at me. It's giving me the creeps."

I still hope to be able to release this quest sometime this year. Thanks for your patience.

DarkDragoonX
06-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Looking good. The ripped tiles you've added are a nice touch.

Strider1982
06-14-2005, 01:49 AM
Thanks, DarkDragoonX. Yeah, I added the ripped tiles to give it a more Genesis-esque feel.

BTW, If you guys want, I could maybe release a very small demo of my Sonic quest sometime soon that would probably have a small overworld portion and one or two dungeons...

I was just suggesting this because it's been so long since I released the original demo and some of you have been telling me how much you'd like to test out the quest with the updated look.

If you'd like me to release another demo sooner or later, let me know. It's still gonna be a while before the whole quest is finished.

DarkDragoonX
06-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Well, after you have a fair portion of the overworld done, and the first dungeon, a demo would be most excellent, as far as I'm concerned.

Sephiroth
06-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Well, after you have a fair portion of the overworld done, and the first dungeon, a demo would be most excellent, as far as I'm concerned.
I probably say wait, because I still have his original demo if you guys want me to put it up. :)

Strider1982
06-14-2005, 02:28 PM
I was talking about releasing a demo with the updated graphics. The old demo still works fine, but looks pretty primitive compared to the new look.

zeldafannick
06-16-2005, 10:57 PM
put up a short demo with one dungeon,please.I think that would be neat.

Strider1982
06-17-2005, 02:19 PM
That's sort of what I'm trying to do. I've also added a sfx.dat file with sound FX from the Genesis Sonic games.

Zelda_Warrior
06-18-2005, 02:44 PM
wow this quest looks really awsome i hope you get a beta out soon also how do you edit .sfx files?

Sephiroth
06-19-2005, 09:51 AM
wow this quest looks really awsome i hope you get a beta out soon also how do you edit .sfx files?

You would need to open grabber.exe if you got it with 183/184. :)

Strider1982
06-21-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm almost finished with a small demo...but I don't have a website to host the download. Anyone know of an easy-to-use Website service? Almost every one I've looked at requires payment of some kind.

Or, would anyone else be willing to host the download? If so, I'd email the demo to that person as soon as it's finished...

Zelda_Warrior
06-21-2005, 06:59 PM
use filespace. The url is http://www.filespace.com/
Sign up, and yuo got 5 mb. of space. Filepsace is a free file hosting service, just upload your files and there you go! I use it.

Strider1982
06-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks. I'll HOPEFULLY have the demo up within the next several days. I'm going camping over the weekend, so I'll do whatever I can on my laptop...

I may post some new screenshots sometime soon.

Also, if there's one thing I can't design very well, it's "cave" tiles. I might have to use some from another tileset...

Can anyone recommend some good "cave" tiles?

Zelda_Warrior
06-23-2005, 08:11 PM
What do you mean, cave tiles? Is it exerior or interior? (Lol why even ask that?) I'm assuming you want interior cave tiles. You might want to look at the pure tileset and the gamebody tileset. They both hav a pattern on the walls that a lot of cave tiles use. (I you open up the quests you'll se what I mean.) If you learn how to draw the pattern yourself and use it as a base that should make it much easier.

annnot
06-24-2005, 11:29 PM
When I try to access the link to zcnetwork a window pops up wanting a name and password. Can someone help I tried to go to zcwebsite but the window still pops up and I can't access it. Can someone help. Thanks

Strider1982
06-25-2005, 10:04 PM
I've noticed that problem too...Weird. Just a few days ago the link worked fine...

Aori Radidjiu
06-25-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm almost finished with a small demo...but I don't have a website to host the download. Anyone know of an easy-to-use Website service? Almost every one I've looked at requires payment of some kind.

Or, would anyone else be willing to host the download? If so, I'd email the demo to that person as soon as it's finished...Try www.geocities.com (http://www.geocities.com/), their free service allows uploads, and remote linking.

EDIT:Nevermind. I didn't notice someone suggested something else. I'm an idiot :p

Minish Link
06-27-2005, 09:06 AM
what else do you need help with? im bored beyond belief.

Strider1982
06-28-2005, 05:48 AM
Hmm, well, can't really think of a whole lot of things I need help with...maybe some ideas for extra dungeons (beyond the original 9).

I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to finish up the demo over the weekend..I just got back from a camping trip. I'll release it as soon as I can... Ripping and designing tiles takes a heck of a lot of time.

Since I wasn't able to get the demo finished up, here's some new pics. Ripped Genesis tiles are really improving the look.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/CAVE.gif

Yes, I got the cave tiles situation worked out and compiled my own, based off the Mystic Cave Zone in Sonic 2.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/RING.gif

Power Ring ponds, like the old Sonic SatAM cartoon...
Why are those birds staring at Sonic anyway?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/FLOWERS.gif http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/GREENHILL.gif

Spiky Green Hill Zone flowers and Genesis-inspired backgrounds...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/ATHAIR.gif

In the Hidden Palace Zone, the spirit of Knuckles' ancestor Athair sends Sonic on his quest. Most of the tiles in this pic are from the Sonic and Knuckles game.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/SPECIAL.gif

And what's a Sonic game without Special Stages? No popping blue spheres this time however.

Also, notice the possible title screen in my signature. I scanned in one of my drawings of Sonic and added some weird effects with PhotoShop.

Enjoy. I'm getting that demo done. I'll keep you guys updated, and thanks for your patience. As always, any advice/suggestions/etc. are appreciated.

DarkDragoonX
06-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Very cool. I'm looking forward to the demo even more than I was before, as if that were possible. Still, don't feel like you have to hurry or anything. We're not going anywhere. ;)

Strider1982
06-29-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks, DarkDragoonX.

Yeah, I'm kind of in a small hurry to get it all done. I won't have a whole lot of spare time in the fall when school starts.

Also, should I be posting screenshots in the "Post screenshots here" thread? I don't know if there's some rule or something. I was trying to keep everything pertaining to my quest in one thread...

zeldafannick
06-29-2005, 06:16 PM
I say keep the screenshots here.Also,nice looking quest! sonic games are some of my favorite.I am going to assume that there will be sonic music as well?

Can't wait till the demo.Looks great.Keep up the good work.

With that being said,I guess I should get back to getting my OWN quest done.

EDIT:I just saw that sample title screen.Dang,I wish I could draw that well...

Strider1982
06-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Yes, there will be Sonic music, and sound effects too.

Strider1982
07-06-2005, 05:36 AM
Okay... I've had a ton of time to work on this thing the past few days, and I can promise you that there will be a small demo released sometime this week. It won't have everything I've done so far, but will at least have some of the overworld and the slightly-revised 1st dungeon.

Speaking of dungeons... hope you're not tired of screenshots.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/RR2.gif
Statues of Echidna goddesses guard the entrance to level 1.
Dang, I wish I could add more palettes...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/RR3.gif
A gang of psychotic bat-'bots.
The classic "Eagle" dungeon shape is there, but not every room will seem familiar.

Seeya. Now, back to work...

annnot
07-07-2005, 10:24 PM
"Speaking of dungeons... hope you're not tired of screenshots."

Heck no.

Zelda_Warrior
07-09-2005, 07:03 PM
is it me or are the walls and stuff in those dungeon pics. too blended in? The shaps are not very well defined. What I mean is lke, when you use stuff for egdes, borders, lines, etc. you use a dark brown or something instead of a black. It's good to use a dark color instead of black, but don't do it too often.

Strider1982
07-09-2005, 09:11 PM
I tried using black, and it just didn't look right. I used a dark brown intentionally and it actually works well in the actual game. Those small-scale screenshots, however, "blend" the colors so it doesn't look exactly right.

I thought black-bordered sprites against a background with dark green, blue, and brown borders looked just fine. Wait till you play the demo and see if it still looks weird.

Besides, if I changed all the tile borders to black, it would mean redoing hundreds of tiles and palettes that I've already spent weeks on.