PDA

View Full Version : New Gaming Keyboard in Development

Exdeath
05-12-2005, 08:15 PM
I recently came across the website of UnitedKeys where they are developing a new type of gaming keyboard. They are currently working with major keyboard and display manufacturers as well as game developers on the keyboard, which I think will be really cool. Basically, some of the keys will have little LCD screens where different images or animated images can be displayed. The keys can show you how to play a particular game, and their pictures and functions can dynamically change for different parts of a game (for example, menu, overworld, battle, etc.)

This keyboard would be very useful for games with a lot of buttons or hotkeys. It could assist a player in becoming quicker and more efficient in strategy games or games in which you need to be faster than your opponent. Personally, this type of keyboard would have been cool when I was playing Final Fantasy VII/VIII and Worms2 (hotkeys to choose weapons).

I know there is going to be a limited run of the first keyboard, so if you want to have the chance to be involved, you can get your name on the waiting list via the site's contact page. I've already signed up and gotten more information. UnitedKeys is also looking for feedback and suggestions from gamers.

Here is the website. I believe that as gamers, we should get involved, since this product can directly affect us and how we play games!

http://www.unitedkeys.com/contact.html

OLsen
05-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Sounds really, really awesome. I belive there already was a gamer keyboard though. Atleast one PC magazine here reviewed one. (Didn't give it too high though.)

One thing that the keyboard need to have then is good placement, cause many people are used to w, a, s, d, shift etc. But that's pretty obvious I guess. Anyway, let's just say this: Can't wait to see it. (Nah, I wont sign up. :P)

Exdeath
05-13-2005, 11:58 AM
I would see it as more useful for strategy games (or games with lots of hotkeys) than for first person shooters like Doom (where you never actually look at the keyboard :P). It does sound like an interesting idea, and yes they would have to pick a good set of keys to use.

gdorf
05-14-2005, 12:25 AM
That sounds like a more practical solution to the zboard. However, I don't look at the keyboard, so I don't see myself needing either. I only play a few games, and I have the hotkeys memorized for them.

MottZilla
05-14-2005, 01:21 AM
There's no reason to replace the keyboard with anything else. Most PC games that use the keyboard have pretty limited use for it, and often have message input. I just think it's silly because why pay for some ubber keyboard with some LED/LCDs in it. I'll take generic keyboard #4576457567856 kthx.

Darth Marsden
05-14-2005, 05:50 PM
It does look good, but most people probably wouldn't use half the keys on it. Hell, I barely even look at my keyboard anymore - I've pretty much memorised the location of everything (Which beggers the question - why can't I touch-type?). Still, it's good to see a company trying to push the boundaries.