PDA

View Full Version : Fear Factor Stunt - Overshot Qualification?

ShadowTiger
05-10-2005, 10:19 AM
This is something that's been bothering me for a little while. Fear Factor is a show to test your fear, as well as your abilities. If you can overcome your fear, you may be able to do better on the tests. If not, well, you fail. Or you may succeed anyway through sheer performance of the feat. o_o

There was a particular stunt involving from one moving truck seven feet to another moving truck. The thing is, you had to land COMPLETELY on top of it, without having anything hanging over or having to hoist yourself up. If you did that, you'd fail.

However, what if you OVERSHOT the truck, and didn't land on it? Would you still qualify? Would you still pass even if you didn't land entirely on the truck, but went over it and beyond it? =/

DarkPanther
05-10-2005, 10:29 AM
No.

Fear doesn't always hinder. It sometimes enhances.

As you said, the point of Fear Factor is to control your fear.

Overshooting the truck would show just as much lack of control as falling short.

Blonde799
05-10-2005, 10:31 AM
You know what happens when you overshoot a jump on a platformer? YOU LOSE! The same should apply here.:p

ShadowTiger
05-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Hm. Interesting. Overshoot your jump and fall, and you die. But here, since nobody would even be ABLE to overshoot their jump, as the expectation is, you either undershoot it, or you make it. They're operating under the assumption that nobody can overshoot it, or else they may have made the truck smaller or something to accommodate for such a thing.

EDIT: (In Response to Both DP And B799)

I actually do agree with you both. Controlling your fear is certainly a necessity. But if you mean "eliminate" by "control," then what else is there? How can you tell if you've eliminated your fear? How can anyone ELSE tell? Couldn't they tell that you've eliminated your fear by being able to make the jump itself, apparently focusing enough on making the jump that you make it?

So if you make the jump, you're good. But if you've overshot the jump, you've jumped far enough that you could've made the jump at any point anyway, as otherwise expected. So you've done MORE than Joe was expecting.

Blonde799
05-10-2005, 10:44 AM
I think that if you overshoot, it's the same as not making the jump, which therefore means you were trying to fly and flying without government permission is against the law, so they should LOSE. Seriously, what DP said.

Dark Knight
05-10-2005, 10:46 AM
But the stipulation was that they land ON the truck not whether they land on the truck or overshoot it. The rules to Fear Factor in stunts such as this are very specific. You either complete the stunt as was told or your fail. This guy didn't complete the stunt, as he didn't land on the truck, so he failed.

Archibaldo
05-10-2005, 11:05 AM
The guy should be out. Any one can jump from on truck another. It's all about skill. As the people above said, it's about controlling your fear. So if you manage to jump square on the platform, then fear isn't a factor for you.

On a side note, I believe fear factor challenges should just test your fear, not your physical capabilities. Of the episodes I've seen, the only scary challenges are the first ones, the rest are endurance challenges. They should have things like walk across a beam with a bunch of cobras underneath. That would be scary. Or make and incredibly haunted house and see who makes it all the way through.

carrot red
05-10-2005, 02:54 PM
I voted no. If you fall short or go beyond you're not meeting the requirements.
I agree that fear could make you do things you would have never thought possible.

(I didn't wach the episode. I only watched a few episodes I found very disturbing last season.)