PDA

View Full Version : General Motors releases press statement...

Glitch
05-09-2005, 09:40 AM
At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, GM issued a press release stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars like this:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occassionally, your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen all the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such a a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to start, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five time as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would only run on 5% of the roads.

6. The oil, temperture, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This car has performed a illegal operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

ShadowTiger
05-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Heh. Well, I definitely remember hearing these. They make for a wonderful joke. But it's actually possible that this could have happened in reality in addition to being a potential joke. That's what worries me.

I'd love to see a $25 car though. ;-D Make it out of recycled plastic. :laughing:

theplustwo
05-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Oh man, GM totally BURNED Microsoft! I'll bet MS has some consolation in the fact that they are making money while GM is losing it, though. :)

Carcer
05-09-2005, 01:04 PM
5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five time as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would only run on 5% of the roads.
Oh, if only that were true... hear hear.
It must have taken a lot of guts to come out with that against one of the most successful companies in the world.
I wish that more people could read that and understand the stranglehold of Microsoft... Did anyone watch Dr. Who? It had the world under total control by the media - their lives were made by it, and they were under total stranglehold. I'm suprised that there was no reference to it.

AlexMax
05-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Why do I feel like I've seen this in General Discussion half a dozen times?

theplustwo
05-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Yeah, GM totally didn't release this, it's just an e-mail joke list. But it's still moderately funny, although it doesn't really work as a retort to Gates' statement since he was talking about how much cheaper and more efficient PC hardware has become and these are all jabs at Microsoft's operating systems.

Master Ghaleon
05-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Why do I feel like I've seen this in General Discussion half a dozen times?

Hmm, I dont think I remember this one before. But I asked the kitty and she said that she saw this about a year old, or something simular.

Beldaran
05-09-2005, 02:38 PM
I remember reading this like, right after I first got the internet in 1996 or whenever it was.

Cloral
05-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah this is old. Still worth a laugh though.