PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic FAQS (Noobs Click In)

Deviance
05-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Ok I noticed there has been a flood of new people here looking for ZC. So I am going to answer the most questions I usually here from you guys. Please do not create a topic that has already been answered for you in this faq.

Faqs Last Updated 2-15-2008

Q: Where can I get ZC?
A: There is three versions out. Click on the following link below.

ZC 2.5 Alpha's (http://shardstorm.com)
Zelda Classic 2.11 B6 (http://armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89441)
Zelda Classic 2.10 (http://fatcatfan.armageddongames.net/zc/zc210w.exe)
Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 183 (I recommend this one) (http://zc.theapparition.net/zc192b183.exe)
Zelda Classic 1.90 (http://zc.theapparition.net/zc190sr1.exe)
Zelda Classic 1.0 (http://zc.theapparition.net/zc100win.zip)

Q: Where can I get Quests at?
A: There are many sites out there where you can get some. I'll supply you with a couple.

Zelda Classic (http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/qdb.php)
Pure ZC (http://purezc.com/index.php?page=quests)
Zelda Classic Network - Died

Q: How do I load a custom Quest? (Submitted by Ganonator)
A:
1) Double click on zelda-w.exe (Assuming your using the windows version)
2) Press "Enter" to pass the flames.
3) Press "Enter" to pass the Zelda intro screen.
4) register a name, and press enter.
5) press "A" (Alt)
6) Press "A" (Alt) again
7) browse to the quest you want to play, choose it and press "ok"
8) press "Enter" to play.

Q: Where Can I get a ZC Tutorial?
A: Currently we are working on a wiki (http://www.shardstorm.com/ZCwiki) to help you out with ZC

Q: Where can I get Tiles/Midis/Graphic Packs.
A: There are two main sites listed below.

For your tiles and graphics packs I will recommend you PureZC.com (http://purezc.com)

VGMusic (http://vgmusic.com) has a large database of midi's you can download.

Q: I can't find a linux or mac version to download.
A: Check shardstorm for the latest builds for these platforms

Q: When is the next version coming out?
A: We don't know. So don't ask.

Q: Does nintendo know you guys made this project?
A: Nintendo officially does not care about fan projects, as long as they are not for profit. ZC has been around for years and there are probably plenty of people telling them about it all the time, especially after being recognized on TechTV's The ScreenSavers and EGM magazine.
You may have heard about Nintendo "shutting down" fan projects in the past... These were lies perpetrated by disgruntled schemers and cowardly hosts hoping to avoid trouble. Unfortunately, these two root causes seem to perpetuate eachother and as a result, it can get pretty aggravating.
The fact of the matter is that Nintendo only uses real, actual mail to deliver cease-and-desist orders. So if you see or get a threatening message in any other format, don't believe it. Nintendo has no interest in suing you for being a fan.

Q: That's cool and all but where do I find Zelda Classic and Quests at.
A: Reread the faqs. -_-

Q: I can't carry any bombs or arrows! Why?
Click here for a thread relevant to your interests (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1110647#post1110647). Same goes for magic. If you can't use it, either you need magic, or the quest author disabled it for that quest or area.

Q: Why isn't ZC 2.0 not working under vista?
A: From what I know is due to the version of allegro we used in that previous version. We are not going to fix it since ZC 2.5 is in the works and alphas have been released.

Q: Help I am having issues setting options like resolutions, quickloading, etc.
Ever heard of Zelda Classic Launcher? It's worth checking out. You can get a copy at shardstorm.

If you are going to ask a question, Please take the time to type all the words out or I'll ignore your question. If you want to add on to my faqs. Feel free :)

TheArachnid
05-07-2005, 09:40 PM
u seem to know alot about the site so ill ask u when i try to sign up for e-mail it takes me to a page wer u can either click login or sign up for email so i click sign up then it says select an option so i do and then it takes me back to the "page wer u can either click login or sign up for email" and i clcik sign up for email and it keeps going back and forth what do i do im cvonfused how do i sign up so i can play the games???

Rakki
05-07-2005, 11:06 PM
First off, try to make your posts a little more LEGIBLE from now on. This is a forum, not chat. You have time to fix up your post.

Second, you don't have to sign up with ZC.com to play quests. You simply have to download a version of ZC and whatever quests you want to play, then load them up as explained above.

TheArachnid
05-07-2005, 11:17 PM
k thanks sorry about the chat speak :(

LightningLockey
05-15-2005, 02:26 PM
I have zc 1.92 but I can't get the custom quests to load, Alt and A does't work. If I click on the screen and go to misc I can find them, but it still loads into the default game.

I haven't played with this in months and I forget how I used to load the quests.

LightningLockey
05-15-2005, 02:26 PM
I have zc 1.92 but I can't get the custom quests to load, Alt and A does't work. If I click on the screen and go to misc I can find them, but it still loads into the default game.

I haven't played with this in months and I forget how I used to load the quests.

Dart Zaidyer
05-16-2005, 06:42 AM

Dart Zaidyer
05-16-2005, 06:42 AM

Deviance
05-17-2005, 12:13 AM
I have updated the faqs. Thanks Dart Zaidyer :)

Deviance
05-17-2005, 12:13 AM
I have updated the faqs. Thanks Dart Zaidyer :)

Timbo098
05-18-2005, 08:34 AM
How do I change the quests in to a readable format?
Yes, I know, just answer my question.

Timbo098
05-18-2005, 08:34 AM
How do I change the quests in to a readable format?
Yes, I know, just answer my question.

ShadowTiger
05-18-2005, 10:03 AM
... O_o ... Why, what are you trying to convert into a quest file? o_O

If it's a .qst file, it should be readable, IF, it's been saved as a .qst file by ZQuest. If you try to convert a .txt file into a .qst file, obviously, it won't work. It's like trying to convert toast into a chicken dinner by telling at it that it's a chicken.

ShadowTiger
05-18-2005, 10:03 AM
... O_o ... Why, what are you trying to convert into a quest file? o_O

If it's a .qst file, it should be readable, IF, it's been saved as a .qst file by ZQuest. If you try to convert a .txt file into a .qst file, obviously, it won't work. It's like trying to convert toast into a chicken dinner by telling at it that it's a chicken.

Timbo098
05-19-2005, 05:13 AM
....I think you misunderstood.
When I try to download a custom quest, it is a .qst file.
HOWEVER, It's downloaded on notepad.
So in other words, how do I change it back?
Thanks in advance.

Timbo098
05-19-2005, 05:13 AM
....I think you misunderstood.
When I try to download a custom quest, it is a .qst file.
HOWEVER, It's downloaded on notepad.
So in other words, how do I change it back?
Thanks in advance.

mybdgift
05-19-2005, 07:01 PM
I have downloaded the new windows version 2.10 from all three sites and it will not run at all. Keep getting the "Sorry for the incovience but this program needs to close" HELP!!!!

mybdgift
05-19-2005, 07:01 PM
I have downloaded the new windows version 2.10 from all three sites and it will not run at all. Keep getting the "Sorry for the incovience but this program needs to close" HELP!!!!

Rakki
05-19-2005, 10:37 PM
What version of Windows are you on, mybdgift? And which version of ZC are you trying to run, Windows or DOS?

Rakki
05-19-2005, 10:37 PM
What version of Windows are you on, mybdgift? And which version of ZC are you trying to run, Windows or DOS?

Timbo098
05-20-2005, 04:44 AM
Please help.

Timbo098
05-20-2005, 04:44 AM
Please help.

Rakki
05-20-2005, 05:21 AM
By "it's downloaded on notepad" do you mean, whenever you download a quest, it has the .qst extention, but the icon of it is notepad? If so, that just means that it'll try opening them in notepad when you double click it, so the extention must have been associated with notepad somehow, but it should still be readable by Zelda Classic. Have you actually tried loading quest files that are like that, in ZC?

Rakki
05-20-2005, 05:21 AM
By "it's downloaded on notepad" do you mean, whenever you download a quest, it has the .qst extention, but the icon of it is notepad? If so, that just means that it'll try opening them in notepad when you double click it, so the extention must have been associated with notepad somehow, but it should still be readable by Zelda Classic. Have you actually tried loading quest files that are like that, in ZC?

Anthus
06-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Sometimes when you click on a quest (or any file) that does not have a format that Windows recognizes, it will ask you which program you want to use to run it with.

This may of happned, and you didn't notice and you randomly clicked on something and that something happned to be note pad... No all of the .qst files be be not pad files... I don't know how to change it back...

mybdgift
06-04-2005, 01:07 AM
windows XP and the version is the 2.10

Yoshi348
06-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Sometimes when you click on a quest (or any file) that does not have a format that Windows recognizes, it will ask you which program you want to use to run it with.

This may of happned, and you didn't notice and you randomly clicked on something and that something happned to be note pad... No[w] all of the .qst files [are notepad] files... I don't know how to change it back...

I do, but in Windows 9X... hopefully it hasn't changed...

Open up My Computer, and choose Tools -> Folder Options. Go to the File Types tab. Look for the .qst extension (you can type q to get to the q's, and go from there), select it, and choose delete. There you go.

Crown D
06-09-2005, 08:13 PM

i have the same problem.....

Anyone knows whats wrong???

punkonjunk1024
06-12-2005, 03:11 AM
I read that as Zelda classic fags.
Yeah.
*skips away*

EDIT
Oh jesus, my post had reason, I remembered it.
Sean, why do you suggest 1.92 beta over 2.10?

Deviance
06-22-2005, 07:02 PM
2.10 is still in very early stages and crashes a lot. 2.11 hopefully will fix that.

punkonjunk1024
06-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Some day.... You're a beta tester, right? I'm not supposed to ask, but... any general idea of when that might happen? Just curious, an WE HAVE NO IDEA is acceptable, too.

Skulkraken
06-23-2005, 03:40 AM
This is probably a little late for mybdgift, but maybe it will help anyone else who has problems with ZQuest file associations.....

If the .qst file extension is currently associated with something else, like Notepad or one of the other default choices Windows uses, shift + right click on the .qst file.

Another choice should appear on the subsequent menu somewhere beneath Open.
This option, Open With, opens a dialog box where you choose a program to open the file with. If ZQuest isn't on the list, click on Browse to select the ZQuest .exe.

A check box should also be on the dialog box which will tell Windows to always use that program. Check it, then click "okay". ZQuest should now open .qst files automatically each time they are opened in Windows Explorer.

DefEdge
08-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Question. I have DLed a few of the SFX.dat files for different games, I back up my original SFX.dat and then rename the one I wish to use to match the name. However, when I try to run ZC, it fails to load at all, I see it pop up on the task bar, but for only a split second.

Any idea why it won't run? I'm thinking it's because the file doesn't match the size of the original, but other people seem to be able to use these files no problem, otherwise they wouldn't release them.

Freedom
08-20-2005, 11:43 PM
It has to do with the version, most available sfx.dat files available were done for 183 and won't work in the 2.10

Link-tastic
08-23-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm running version 1.92 beta 183 on Windows XP. My problem is that I keep getting an "unable to open file" error. Can anyone help me?

Zelda_Warrior
08-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Try double clicking on zquest-w.exe or zelda-w.exe, you might be trying to open the wrong thing.

I have a question, when I double click on 'grabber-w.exe' it opens up and closes real quick. I don't see the window, but I see the grabber thing by the start menu bar that tells you what windows are open, but it dissapears fast.

Link-tastic
08-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks Zelda Warrior, but my question was very poorly worded. What I meant was that the "unable to open file" error comes up in Zelda Classic when I try to load a quest.

Zelda_Warrior
08-23-2005, 11:53 PM
What version are you using and what quest are you trying to play?

You can't play a 2.10 quest in 1.92, I tried playing Shattered Courage in 1.92 and i couldnt seem to figure out why it wouldn't work, but I ooked and it was for 2.10.

Also, 2.10 is known to be very glitchy, use 1.92 to play quests instead unless youre trying to play a 2.10 quest.

Link-tastic
08-24-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm using 1.92, and I get the same error message for any quest that I try to play.

Also, when I try to run ZQuest, the screen goes black for a second, and then returns to the desktop immediately.

Miska
08-31-2005, 06:53 AM
I seem to be having trouble saving a game. I save it and when I come back in it is not there Help?

raekuul
09-17-2005, 07:33 PM
How do I make my own tiles for the games?

Pixie
09-26-2005, 05:04 AM
Q: Where Can I get a ZC Tutorial?
A: Right here. currently Ganonator and Eckels is working on a brand new tutorial which should be released before ZC 2.5.

This appears to be a broken link. When I clicked on the link for the tutorial, I get "page cannot be displayed". Got a good URL, please?

LavaBall
09-30-2005, 12:58 PM
I got a Q:Why the Beta version reccomended not the 2.10?

Gerudo
09-30-2005, 01:21 PM
I got a Q:Why the Beta version reccomended not the 2.10?
With new software comes new bugs (as well as bug fixes). ZC1.92 is by far the best version for all around quest development, since it seems to have become the standard (2.10 took quite a long time to come out).

You can try 2.10, and it should work perfectly for you. I think alot of people still use 1.92 though.

This appears to be a broken link. When I clicked on the link for the tutorial, I get "page cannot be displayed". Got a good URL, please?
AlphaDawg's tutorial was the only place that it existed. Unfortunately, unless someone else mirrored his tutorials, no active tutorial exists (to my knowledge).

LavaBall
09-30-2005, 01:24 PM
I already use 2.10 however.

b1zarr0
10-06-2005, 05:36 PM
This may be a dumb and probaly already asked question but is there any way to get Zelda Classic to NOT open up in full screen? I think it has something to do with editing the shortcut or something but right now it totally esacapes me. thanks in advance for any help. :D

nevermind, didnt bother to check the start menu :tongue:

rocksfan13
10-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Instead of clicking on the icon on the desktop, use the option in the start menu.

Cloral
10-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Or from a shortcut you can add the "-windowed" command line switch.

jdavidb
11-09-2005, 12:43 AM
How do I get to the continue/save/retry menu (other than dying)? If I remember correctly, I hit start to get to the map screen and then hold down A and hit select. At least, that seemed to work on my nephew's game boy last weekend. But I can't figure out what button maps to select.

Thanks,
jdb

copsgotguns
11-09-2005, 12:59 AM
How do I get to the continue/save/retry menu (other than dying)? If I remember correctly, I hit start to get to the map screen and then hold down A and hit select. At least, that seemed to work on my nephew's game boy last weekend. But I can't figure out what button maps to select.

Thanks,
jdb

you have press ESC on the keyboard and you can exit the game, then it will take you to the continue/save/retry screen. but dont accidentally click 'exit program' or ZC will close without saving.

jdavidb
11-09-2005, 01:02 AM
For anyone coming by after me with the same question, the detailed answer is: press ESC; click game; click quit; click yes, and you will then be at the menu.

Thanks, copsgotguns!

jdb

Aegix Drakan
11-09-2005, 09:37 AM
EH?

pressing F6 and selecting quit gets me there. doesn't ESC quit the whole program?

Vivionsho
11-10-2005, 12:45 PM
EH?

pressing F6 and selecting quit gets me there. doesn't ESC quit the whole program?
yeah it brings you to a small menu at the top of the screen and you can choose File, then Exit

ShadowTiger
11-10-2005, 01:25 PM
F6 - (If "Yes" is selected.) Gets you to the Continue/Save/Retry screen. Continue doesn't save, but doesn't quit either. You just restart at where you entered the DMap, or from the last "Continue Here" checked DMap. (Which you can't see from just playing the quest. Just trust the quest author on that one. :p ) Save will save your progress, but you'll restart from either where you started the quest, or from the "Continue Here" checkmark. Retry does that, but doesn't save. In both Save and Retry, you find yourself at the Quest Selection screen when it's done.

F7 - Is like a "Reset." You simply go back to the Quest Selection screen without saving.

F8 - Upon pressing "Yes," you're back at the desktop. :p

copsgotguns
11-12-2005, 02:11 AM
can i play the older versions of zquests on zc v2.10?

koopa
11-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Yes and no. You can load quests for older versions in 2.10 and play them, but there are some bugs that can make life hard for you. For example, iotw is a 1.83 quest and on all versions from 1.84 upwards a ZC bug means that if you save in a boss room you start in the top left corner of the screen and are stuck. Really stuck, as your save file always puts you back there so you have to restart the quest from the very beginning.

So yes, you can play an older quest in 2.10 but I don't recommend it.

copsgotguns
11-15-2005, 05:25 AM
ive downloaded and played a few customs quests, but im unable to rate them on the website. is this a privelage i dont have yet?

Mwarren130
11-23-2005, 05:05 AM
:odd: I am trying to find the same information. If you have any luck please email me [email protected] and let me know if what you told works :scared:

Mad Steve
11-27-2005, 03:13 AM
"This may be a dumb and probaly already asked question but is there any way to get Zelda Classic to NOT open up in full screen?"

Funny, I'm having the opposite problem. I want it to open in a full screen, but no matter what I've tried, it always comes up in that dinky little window. How do I get it to always open up in a full screen?

Gerudo
11-28-2005, 04:13 AM
Mad Steve:

assuming you've installed ZC 2.10, there should be multiple shortcuts to the zc files, labeled like "ZC Fullscreen" or "ZC Windowed Small". i believe these are in your 'start > program files' menu...

alternative, here are the command lines for each (this is assuming you did not change the install path, if you did, substitute the correct path). you will have to make a shortcut to 'zelda-w.exe', and change the text in target box :

ZC Fullscreen -> "C:\Program Files\ZC2.10\zelda-w.exe" -res 320 240 -fullscreen
ZC Windowed Large -> "C:\Program Files\ZC2.10\zelda-w.exe" -res 512 448 big -windowed
ZC Windowed Small - > "C:\Program Files\ZC2.10\zelda-w.exe" -res 320 240 -windowed

i did not list ZQ since it was not mentioned...

raekuul
12-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Out of pure curiosity, did anyone ask/answer my question before I asked it?

xavea
12-13-2005, 12:01 AM
This may be a really dumb question, but I can't get the game to stop the intro loop. It just goes from a title screen to the storyline, to showing all the items. Then it does it again. I can't actually play anything. What do I do?

ShadowTiger
12-13-2005, 12:48 AM
This may be a really dumb question, but I can't get the game to stop the intro loop. It just goes from a title screen to the storyline, to showing all the items. Then it does it again. I can't actually play anything. What do I do?... ... o...kay, ... ... *lol* ... Wow, this is a rare dilemma. XD

Have you tried pressing enter? :p

If that doesn't work, hit Escape, and configure the keys so you know what to press to press the "Enter" button, or "Start." Whatever it is. Hitting that should get you to the Quest Selection screen.

xavea
12-15-2005, 07:36 PM
... ... o...kay, ... ... *lol* ... Wow, this is a rare dilemma. XD

Have you tried pressing enter? :p

If that doesn't work, hit Escape, and configure the keys so you know what to press to press the "Enter" button, or "Start." Whatever it is. Hitting that should get you to the Quest Selection screen.

Okay, maybe I should have used specifics in my post. I tried pressing enter, configuring the keys, I tried every feature in the escape menus, and I tried it in fullscreen and two different sized windows. I still can't get it off the intro loop. I realized I may have sounded so from my very vague post, but I'm not and idiot and I did try various things to make it work. It doesn't. I could have been more specific, but you didn't have to be rude and sarcastic. If anyone could help without simply telling me to push enter and reconfigure the key buttons, it would be appreciated.

rocksfan13
12-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Have you tried uninstalling it and re-installing? If soand it didn't work, try downloading an older version of ZC and see if you have the same problem.

BTW, what Windows are you running?

warpath
12-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Hey there. Could be this issue has been spoken about somewhere else. If that is so, I overlooked it :) .
My problem is as following I'm using Win XP SP2 and with most custom quests I download and try to play it seems my controls wont work. I tried reconfiguring the controls, resetting the game, installing an older version(which btw didn't run) and uninstall and reinstalling it. Nothing seemed to work.
For instance: when I start "a link to the past" all I get is Link in the mainscreen with the background music. I can press left, right, up down A,B or whatevenr key. Nothing seems to make old link move. I only have 2 options then: 1. start dancing to the background music or 2. reset the game and try starting another.

if anyone has some ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks already Warpath

Nicholas Steel
12-23-2005, 07:09 AM
delete the games config files it seems you touched the settings for the gamepad/joypad dont touch them and dont use a joypad.

however, if you do, dont set the controls to nothing, or else you will need to delete the config files again and adjust the controls yet again.

its a known issue and setting it to nothing prevents you from changing it without deleting your config files.

i personaly recomend not to touch the gamepad/joypad settings and leave em be.

the gamepad/joypad controls (if you havnt noticed) also afect the keyboard controls when set to nothing.

rocksfan13
12-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Try running the quests in the ZC player they were designed in. For instance, 'A link to the past' was created with 1.92, so use ZC 1.92 to play it.

raekuul
12-25-2005, 08:25 PM
ZC Fullscreen -> "C:\Program Files\ZC2.10\zelda-w.exe" -res 320 240 -fullscreen
ZC Windowed Large -> "C:\Program Files\ZC2.10\zelda-w.exe" -res 512 448 big -windowed
ZC Windowed Small - > "C:\Program Files\ZC2.10\zelda-w.exe" -res 320 240 -windowed

i did not list ZQ since it was not mentioned...

What about my question about tiles?

XMuppetSB
12-29-2005, 02:06 PM
I have 2.10 and for some of those test files, the link sprites are all messed up.

firefly
12-29-2005, 02:33 PM
That's a bug that happens in the version 2.10, this bug has been eliminated in the version 2.11.

satori78
01-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Hello, I'm new here(I've browsed a bit through the forum, though). Zero knowledge on Nintendo consoles.

BIG QUESTION:
I'm playing the default quest in ZC. How do I save my game? How can I exit the Zelda Classic software without losing my progress through the game?

Stupid question for some of you, but newcomers need some basic info also - not just how to do layers&tiles&16colors palettes in the quest editor.

Thanks.

koopa
01-27-2006, 01:28 PM
F6. Say yes to "do you want to quit" then select "save" on the next screen. Note that you don't start in the same room as you saved, you start where you entered the dmap (dungeon etc.) if set, otherwise back at the start point - but you do still have your items and triforce pieces.

Zeldafreek
02-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Q: Ive been pressing every button on my keyboard but i cant figure out how to attack with my fricken sword

WindStrike
02-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Try reassigning the buttons - hit Esc, then go to the controls menu, and then click on a button. Then hit the button you would normally want to hit with and it will be entered. Standard settings = Ctrl - B / Alt - A / z - L / x - R / Space - Select / Enter - Start.
These are my settings: z - A / x - B / a - L / s - R / Space - Select / Enter - Start.
If any of that still does not work, then I dunno what's wrong.

silverdropone
02-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Does anyone know how to make 1.92 183 beta run full screen? I can't figure it out, but I'm trying to play a few quests that only run on this version. Unfortunately, the screen is so friggin' small that it's no fun.

Any advice would be appreciated ...

Deviance
02-12-2006, 03:01 PM
You would just right click on the shortcut and just type in -fullscreen it should fix it with no problems

silverdropone
02-12-2006, 03:19 PM
You would just right click on the shortcut and just type in -fullscreen it should fix it with no problems

God bless you you saintly angle you! That worked. You wouldn't believe how many times I've asked this question and no one's been able to explain it like that. Thanks again! :) I'm off to play ;)

silversiren
02-12-2006, 08:31 PM
I've tried to use both 2.10 and 1.92, but I can't get either of them to work. With both formats I get an error saying that it can't load my quest, and then when I hit "Alt" twice to get to the dialog box that lets you select a quest, it says it can't read the files!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Silversiren

Deviance
02-18-2006, 04:56 PM
I have made an edit in the faqs to point where you can get the newest beta for zc.

Uriel
02-21-2006, 03:59 AM
I don't hear any. I play games mostly to hear the music. Why can't I hear it? I tried every option in the sound menu.

Everythign on my end seems to work just fine...so I'm not sure why I can hear sfx, but no bgm...

You have NO IDEA how pissed off I am right now, it took me well over an hour to figure out how to get this program to be seen properly. (I'm intelligent & LOOK around for the answers) I can't find anything about not hearing bgm on the forums so far...

I'll keep looking.

Rakki
02-23-2006, 02:10 AM
I don't hear any. I play games mostly to hear the music. Why can't I hear it? I tried every option in the sound menu.

Everythign on my end seems to work just fine...so I'm not sure why I can hear sfx, but no bgm...

You have NO IDEA how pissed off I am right now, it took me well over an hour to figure out how to get this program to be seen properly. (I'm intelligent & LOOK around for the answers) I can't find anything about not hearing bgm on the forums so far...

I'll keep looking.
The answer to this one question will determine if your problem can be fixed or not. What version of ZC are you not getting music in?

tbone
02-26-2006, 12:34 AM

I'll keep looking.

Have you checked to make sure your 'SW Synth' or 'Midi' volume control is enabled on your PC?

firefly
02-26-2006, 12:39 AM

I'll keep looking.

Open Agsetup.exe in ZC directory.

punkonjunk1024
02-26-2006, 10:31 AM
For some reason, some packages don't contain AGsetup. If you can't find it, chances are you're running the windows version... so just run ZQ, and go to the ect menu, and click "lost woods"
I was told to do this a while ago - Always works. At least for me.

Deviance
03-05-2006, 11:01 AM
AGsetup is no longer needed. With him not hearing music. It's probably his soundcard doesn't support midi.

xanthic
03-07-2006, 11:01 AM
I've downloaded 2.10, installed it and tried to run it a few times now. Everytime I open the thing pick a file and run it, my character heads directly up until it hits the wall, then it runs left until getting caught into a corner.
I've tried reconfiguring it's controls, which seem to have no effect. I also tried different quests for it to see if the quest I were running were defective.
Is this a 2.10 glitch? Did I just get a defective download? Anyone know anthing about this?

ShadowTiger
03-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Are you using a Joystick? O.o' If you're using a keyboard, this definitely shouldn't happen. Uncontrollability (Or ghost controls, like this.) Usually happen when a joystick is already in a default position, but is kinda out of it when you start the game. It's like holding in a Console controller in a direction when you start the game, so it thinks it's the default position. Its default position and your default position are two different things for the moment, but you think it's one and the same because you forgot that it started in a different position.

Switch back to the keyboard. :p

xanthic
03-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Sad part is that I am using a keyboard. I'm familiar with the joystick issues with callibration and such at start-up. But even beyond that I don't think it's an issue with keyboards, let alone that I'm not continually holding down up and then left. >.<
It's completely unresponsive to anything I seem to be trying. My keys aren't performing that way out of the program either, so hardware doesn't seem to be the issue.
I'm not sure what I should be getting in the menu, but I can only scroll the inverse. Down or right, but both are responsive. My buttons seem to be responsive otherwise, map and menu, can't exactly to anything to test A & B.
Oh. I also tried to delete the config file to see if it were somehow attributing my controls to joystick by some error of mine. This didn't work. >.>
Tried using the newer 2.11 and that one is giving me the same problem.

xanthic
03-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Can anyone suggest how to fix this? I can't be the only one to have stumbled on this problem. >.> I can't be that terribly unique. (Also an excuse to edit this post to remove an error I had already corrected.)

enigmax
03-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Is there a trainer for zelda quests or game codes that work for 2.11

firefly
03-19-2006, 02:24 AM
Is there a trainer for zelda quests or game codes that work for 2.11
Probably not, until the full release of 2.11 I think.

sand
03-29-2006, 07:01 PM

Do you know if this will work for Mac OSX on 2.11 9b? The settings area is lacking some things, too, I think. I can barely see it to know.

gggaa
08-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey, the link under the "Where Can I get a ZC Tutorial?" question takes me to some weird site with a bunch of links and a search box. Is this normal? If so, what should I click on to find the tutorial?

ShadowTiger
08-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Hey, the link under the "Where Can I get a ZC Tutorial?" question takes me to some weird site with a bunch of links and a search box. Is this normal? If so, what should I click on to find the tutorial?Sadly, that link appears to be broken. Websites do expire with inactivity, sadly. =/

Some people feature links to tutorials in their signatures. You can find a whole assortment of them Here (http://zcu.sephiroth.ws/forums/index.php?showforum=12), if you'd like. I know Freedom has a link in his signature. idontknow may also have one. LinktheMaster may have one too.

SkyMan25
10-09-2006, 11:19 PM
is there a way to edit/create graphics and sprites

Village_Idiot44
01-14-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm having this annoying problem with the game. I got a save file set up and everything, but when I hit enter it says, and I quote:

Error loading 1st+qst[two plus signs on top of each other]
Internal error occured
ents and Settings/Stephen/Desktop/Desktop/Zelda Classic/ZC2+10/

The third row has the first and last parts missing because the box is so long and I can't move it. 'ents' is probably 'Documents', probably with some other stuff before it too (like C drive part) After 'ZC2+10/' I guess is '1st+qst[two plus signs on top of each other]'.

Anyways, I've been trying to find out how to fix this, where to find '1st+qst' with those two weird double plus signs, but it looks like the 2 closest things are already on my computer. In short, I'm stumped. My stepdad also tried to help me with this but found nothing.

This is on the latst version (2.10), in case that means anything.

On a side note, the file selct screen is ridiculously dark. Is it supposed to be like that?

Help would be very appreciated. Sorry if this post was a stupid question.

farsenea
01-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I have a similar issue when using non Admin users on a Win XP Pro machine - see my post (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=96014)

Endarire
02-27-2007, 03:38 AM
EDIT: Nevermind; I found and 2.5 here (http://www.allegro.cc/depot/ZeldaClassic/).

Where can I get the newest 2.11 build since 2.11B6 link's dead? (The horror!)

-EE

erm2003
02-27-2007, 06:29 AM
You can find a link to the alpha builds at the top of the page when you view the Beta Discussion forums.

Greenlink100
04-11-2007, 04:52 AM
This is probably a newbie question and i'm know im a newbie to this, my question is how do you make it look like Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past graphics? Thanks

anittrubu
07-15-2007, 01:50 PM

:confused:i have win. vista home pre. and I installed the newest version today but when i try to play windows closes it and says it will look for a solution...is there a fix for this please...thank you:naughty:

erm2003
07-15-2007, 03:00 PM
I have been able to get the latest builds of 2.5 to work on my Vista laptop. Go here to get the latest build:

http://www.shardstorm.dreamhosters.com/

Remember though, these are alpha/beta builds. There will be bugs. Even with the bugs though many quests will still play fine. You may also want to try opening ZC through the ZC Launcher, which is included in the zip file when you download it.

Plissken
07-15-2007, 03:50 PM
What was the problem with running it on vista before? On my vista pc the only problem I've had is with opening ROMview.

erm2003
07-15-2007, 05:38 PM
I should specify, any of the 2.5 builds have been working as far as I know, but some people have reported having problems with 2.10 and Vista. I haven't messed around with that so maybe someone else can shed more light on that problem.

Nicholas Steel
02-15-2008, 05:29 AM
reword the stuff in brackets (topic title) so that it uses the word newbs instead of noobs. noobs is a insulting term.

Russ
02-15-2008, 11:25 AM
reword the stuff in brackets (topic title) so that it uses the word newbs instead of noobs. noobs is a insulting term.
Thtat does sound a little better.

Suikosai
03-21-2008, 11:46 AM
I used Zelda Classic a long time ago on an older PC and it was awesome.

However, I recently downloaded the 2.10 versions. The windows-based version works, though it's really choppy for some reason, and the sound is awkward...

Trying to use the DOS-version in Windows XP Media Center Edition, the program launches, loads some stuff, attempts to go full-screen, then crashes...

Therefore, I tried using the DOS version in DOS-BOX, however when attempting to open the Zelda.exe file, I get a strange message saying that there is no DPMI and to get csdpmi*b.zip

Ummm... I'm basically saying WTF at this point, this file isn't located on your site as far as I can see.

Maybe it's DOS-box. Is there a way to keep it in a windowed-mode so it doesn't crash in XP?

dragonfyre
04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Hey I am on Vista, and I can't find 2.5. Could someone give me a link?

EDIT: I found it but whenever I try to open it from Zlauncher, it doesn't work (I scanned and it says Allegro is missing) , and whenever I try to open an individual file, it says 'ERROR: Cannot find alleg42_crt.dll' when it is right there!
Please help!

EDIT (again): Here is exactly what it says when I scan from ZLauncher

1st.qst is missing
2nd.qst is missing
3rd.qst is missing
fonts.dat is missing
sfx.dat is missing
qst.dat or zgp.dat(ZC 2.10) is missing
zquest.dat is missing
zelda.dat is missing
Allegro is missing.... It is required for ZC to run!

When I looked, EVERY single one of those were on the Zip file!

erm2003
04-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Go to www.shardstorm.com and look for the most updated version for your operating system. You should be able to load ZC through the ZC Launcher program that is with the download.

dragonfyre
04-08-2008, 08:07 PM
I did. I got Build 758 for Windows. I tried the ZLauncher. That's how I got the scan that said what was 'missing'.

Deviance
04-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Hey I am on Vista, and I can't find 2.5. Could someone give me a link?

EDIT: I found it but whenever I try to open it from Zlauncher, it doesn't work (I scanned and it says Allegro is missing) , and whenever I try to open an individual file, it says 'ERROR: Cannot find alleg42_crt.dll' when it is right there!
Please help!

EDIT (again): Here is exactly what it says when I scan from ZLauncher

1st.qst is missing
2nd.qst is missing
3rd.qst is missing
fonts.dat is missing
sfx.dat is missing
qst.dat or zgp.dat(ZC 2.10) is missing
zquest.dat is missing
zelda.dat is missing
Allegro is missing.... It is required for ZC to run!

When I looked, EVERY single one of those were on the Zip file!

I'm aware of it. Ignore it for now.

<edit>
I would like to say. Yeah the new version of ZC Checker doesn't support 2.10. And I am not planning on it due to all the changes ZC 2.11 is having.

SquirrelyDirge
05-11-2008, 01:19 PM
I've a pretty stupid question, but for the life of me, I just can't figure out how to get it to work.

Okay, so I have the Linux distro Fedora 7. I'm no where near being a competent Linux user so you'll have to pardon my utter inexperience. In trying to run the ZC Launcher, it always says "Zelda Classic was not detected. Place ZCL in the folder where ZC is at." Naturally, I complied with its request, or so I thought. No matter where I put it, it doesn't seem to recognize ZC. Reading your above post, I assume that I'm not using the right version, in which case I ask which version of ZC should I use in conjunction with ZCL 2.0?

bobrocks95
05-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm fairly sure ZCL 2.0 was built and intended to be used with ZC 2.5 betas, which you can get at shardstorm.com.

SquirrelyDirge
05-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, I couldn't get it to work, so I just deleted the whole folder since everything was getting all mixed up. I downloaded the Build 794-Linux from shardstorm.com, trying to run (what I'm assuming to be the correct file to select), and this...

[user@computer Zelda Classic]$ wine zlaunch-l
fixme:spoolsv:serv_main (0 (nil))
wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\zlaunch-l.exe": Module not found

...is what I receive when trying to run from a terminal.

Still no idea what I'm doing wrong.

MotleyCrueFan
07-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Q: Does nintendo know you guys made this project?
A: Nintendo officially does not care about fan projects, as long as they are not for profit. ZC has been around for years and there are probably plenty of people telling them about it all the time, especially after being recognized on TechTV's The ScreenSavers and EGM magazine.
You may have heard about Nintendo "shutting down" fan projects in the past... These were lies perpetrated by disgruntled schemers and cowardly hosts hoping to avoid trouble. Unfortunately, these two root causes seem to perpetuate eachother and as a result, it can get pretty aggravating.
The fact of the matter is that Nintendo only uses real, actual mail to deliver cease-and-desist orders. So if you see or get a threatening message in any other format, don't believe it. Nintendo has no interest in suing you for being a fan.

Yes it is legal I have even told Nintendo's Anti-Piracy department by Electronic Mail before and Zelda Classic is still going strong (I Zelda Classic did the report) so yes for absolute sureness Zelda Classic is legal.

No worries.

erm2003
07-25-2008, 11:04 PM
So wait, you reported ZC to Nintendo and are on here bragging about it. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

MotleyCrueFan
07-26-2008, 09:17 PM
I am saying I've reported it to Nintendo if Zelda Classic was illegal Zelda Classic would've been (metaphorically) toast meaning gone never able to download again, shutted down.

But since I reported Zelda Classic to Nintendo Anti-Piracy and Zelda Classic is going even stronger now I "KNOW" Zelda Classic is completely legal.

I am saying "ULTIMATE" (at least for now anyways) proof that Zelda Classic is legal to download and use and the quests are legal to upload and download :)

Pettyv
10-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Could somebody please give me a link to Zelda Classic 2.11 because when I open the one on the first post my browser says it cannot be found.

Din
10-12-2008, 02:19 PM
The 2.11 betas (also called 2.5 alphas) should be located here.

www.shardstorm.com

There will be different builds, all open for beta testing.

Note that there is no bugfree version as of yet, but that's why they are alphas. The only versions guaranteed to be 99% bugfree is the 2.10 complete versions and below.

EDIT: Oh! You were looking for 2.11 B6. Actually you don't need a direct link. Click it, and after ".net/" insert "forums/"

Example: (link is faked, so it won't work... but it gives you how to correct it)

Previous: www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=05670&page=5

It won't work, but if you insert forums in the browser...

www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=05670&page=5

This works for that link, all you need to do is insert it. Note that this works with ANY outdated link in AGN (to my knowledge, anyway).

Joe_Cracker
10-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Since 2.5 is not going to be out for a while, how about you have the next beta have an option to where only 2.10 features are acessable?

Because you can save your quest in the 2.10 format.

Link
10-16-2008, 09:58 AM
^^ There already is - 2.10. :p

And Save as 2.10 is only a stopgap feature; it'll be removed prior to 2.5's release.

Joe_Cracker
10-16-2008, 04:16 PM
^^ There already is - 2.10. :p

And Save as 2.10 is only a stopgap feature; it'll be removed prior to 2.5's release.

2.10 doesn't work on Vista. Plus all the betas have this additional items that are being worked on for 2.5 and if you save your quest as a 2.10 quest, some of those features just won't be availible.

Link
10-17-2008, 09:32 AM
2.10 doesn't work on Vista.

I believe 2.10.2 does, if you use ZCL and/or run it as an administrator.

Plus all the betas have this additional items that are being worked on for 2.5 and if you save your quest as a 2.10 quest, some of those features just won't be availible.

Such is the price of downgrading. ;)

Meudwy
11-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi! I would need some help here (and please! Answer in simple english). I've tried to find the answer, but I don't understad anything...

Anyway.
I downloaded ZC 2.10, but it didn't work like it should. But now I understands that it probably is because I have Windows Vista now when I've looked around here...

So, therefore, I downloaded ZC 1.92 beta 183. The problem is, it still wont work properly.
Right when I downloaded it so it opened up at once it worked fine, but when I'm trying to open it again the file is gone and when I go twice at "A" and brows it says "Error: Unable to open file".

What should I do? This is the first time I've downloaded something so I have no clue of what I should do... Is it something more I must download or..?

ShadowTiger
11-06-2008, 06:59 PM
What file are you trying to open?

Be as specific as you can, please.

Meudwy
11-07-2008, 02:00 PM
All of them. 182test.qst, 1st.qst, 2nd.qst and 3rd.qst.

The first time, when it worked, I tried 182test.qst, and it said it saved and everything but when I was going to open it again my character was gone and when I tried to make I new I couldn't (ehm, can still not) open any of the files...

Din
11-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Aah, I know what you must've done. Did you edit the header, by chance? If you changed "quest number" from 0 to a higher value, it's no longer a custom quest. Thus, ZQuest can't open the file, nor can Zelda Player. You'll need to find an alternate version of the quest, then.

Meudwy
11-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Uhm, I don't even know what that is..... :S Can you explain please? The only thing I notised git up higher from 0 was when I saved a few times so it gut up in 4 or something like that, right under the picture of Link at the start... Is it that you mean? But how should I do to find a alternative version of quest and do have it work?

rocksfan13
11-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Are you referring to the Player part of this?
Quests 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cannot be assigned by custom quest. They must be done specifically.
1st is obvious, 2nd is ZELDA, 3rd is ALPHA. There is nothing you can do about those unless you assign your name to the example 1st and 2nd quest.

What I believe Din is trying to tell you refers to the ZC Editor, not the player.

However, I think your whole issue is due to Vista. 2.10 and lower are not very friendly with Vista.
Try downloading one of the newer Betas.

Meudwy
11-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Well, yeah it's the playing part I'm thinking on. I don't understand what the other is so I'll stay away from them a little while...

Okey så I should try another? Which one is most rekomended then and how can I find them (virusfree!)? I've tried "2.10" and "1.92 beta 183". I really don't understand anything about this so I guess I must trust on what you guys are saying...

Russ
11-07-2008, 03:00 PM
If you're using Windows Vista, then download the newest beta from shardstorm.com. It should work.

Meudwy
11-07-2008, 03:12 PM
If you're using Windows Vista, then download the newest beta from shardstorm.com. It should work.

OKey, thanks, but then I got another problem, how do I find the downloads? I clicked on "windows" there and it opened a map, but I don't understand anything of it :s (heh... you guys must begin to be a bit tired on me :p:redface:)

rocksfan13
11-07-2008, 03:23 PM
You're going to need to unzip the contents of the download.
I don't understand how Vista does this. I know XP would automatically open it.
But you may need Winzip to open the file.

Meudwy
11-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Uhm, okey... But can you (or somebody with vista) explain what unzip means/is, how to find winzip if it's nessesary and so on? I don't understand "computer talk", just a few words maybe. It might be common words in english, but I'm barely used to the swedish ones... (If I had know it would be this hard, I wonder if I would have downloaded it :s My computer must hate me)

rocksfan13
11-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Goto winzip.com and download it. Then install it. Then download the file to your desktop and double click it and winzip should do the rest.

twilightshadow
11-16-2008, 03:38 PM
[I originally posted this in ZC discussion, but this seems like a better place to post it]

Okay, so I downloaded the game and everything works fine except that half of the screen is blank. I can't see the bottom half and so....I really can't play the game. I downloaded ZC multiple times from more then one site and nothing changes.

I'm really asking: What are the visual settings you need for the game to properly work? Anyone else have this issue and fixed it?

Thanks in advance.

rocksfan13
11-16-2008, 07:01 PM
What OS are you using?
ZC doesn't really have any video requirements. Most of the time its the operating system that is causing the issue.

twilightshadow
11-16-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm using WindowsXP.
I doubt that's the problem. This has NEVER happened with any other game.

rocksfan13
11-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Are you using one of the betas or 2.10?

Alex J Leon
11-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Okay I am using the newest beta for windows xp, and i saved it it was working fine but when i closed and tried to open the file again there is an error at header loading and the file won't work in zelda.exe so, is there a way to fix it and get around the whole header failure?

If i need to upload like my test file i gladly can do so, provided I find an upload site.

CaRmAgE
11-20-2008, 09:42 AM
By "the file," are you referring to a quest file? Also, what exactly is the error you are getting?

Meudwy
11-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Hello again, the n00b is back :tongue: First, I would like to say thanks becuse this time it finally worked, but now I got problems again...

This time, I can open the file, but it goes in hyper speed, so even if I just click quickly he'll move through the half screen before I even noticed it happen. The enemies are also moving so quick, but they can still turn wherever they want which I wont be able to. I was running around a lot in the lost woods right before it decided to stop working so i suspect it might have something to do with that, but it shouldn't effect the intro too or if I make a new to play with?

So what should this little poor noob do? :( I want to play Zelda :cry:

CaRmAgE
11-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Try pressing F1. That should turn on "Cap FPS" and slow everything down.

EDIT: If you're using Vista, you don't need to download a separate unzip program (like winzip); Vista has the unzip function built-in. To find it, right-click the file you want to unzip, and select "Extract all...".

Meudwy
11-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Yes! It worked! Thanks alot! :D

Really? I didn't know that. I'll try to rembember that next time I'll have to unzip something :) (I like this forum, the people here are helpful and I'm actually learning some stuff! And it's a Zelda forum!! ^^)

Btw, I think it might be a good idea to add at the downloadpage that it can be some problem with Vista and then a link/some links to other places with newer versions and explanation on how to do... It could be quite helpful for a n00b like me ;)

/Meudwy

rocksfan13
11-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Btw, I think it might be a good idea to add at the downloadpage that it can be some problem with Vista and then a link/some links to other places with newer versions and explanation on how to do... It could be quite helpful for a n00b like me ;)

/Meudwy

We are currently discussing this, however, since the newer version is not officially released we cannot add it to the download page yet.

Meudwy
11-25-2008, 01:47 PM
We are currently discussing this, however, since the newer version is not officially released we cannot add it to the download page yet.

Okey, I suppose that might be a quit good reason to why it isn't added yet :rolleyes: But then I understand why at least :)

rocksfan13
11-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Only the new Betas are fairly compatible with Vista.
2.10 has many issues, but for a few it does work. I don't know why, it just does. There are no fixes for it.

You can use the new Betas, but as I said, they are unofficial.

project1
11-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Sean.... Just wanted to say thanks for zc... its killer!! Its great to have my favorite game ...

Thanks again man !

ps...

Thansk so much for the noob post.. it got me up and running :thumbsup:..also running strong with vista

bwt20racer
01-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Help please.

I recently downloaded this game. Thank you so much for taking the time to remake this wonderful game that I use to play growing up. I remember playing this game endless hours instead of doing my homework. ;)

I do have a question. I am not able to play without the screen "flickering". I did try to place this on "ZSync" but it only sped up the actions of Link on the screen rendering it unplayable.

Is there something I can do to help with the "flicker" of the screen so I can play?

I have on my laptop -

* Windows XP Pro
* 2GB RAM
* 128MB NVidia Card

The "frame rate" was at 500/60.

Any help out there?

Thanks.

Jeff

CaRmAgE
01-22-2009, 11:02 PM
The "frame rate" was at 500/60.

Press F1.

Zaphod
12-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Press F1.

Im havin tubule loding with my zquest-w it sez Decrypting+++error+
what did i do wong???

Nicholas Steel
12-09-2009, 06:52 AM
The quest you are trying to open is either password protected or made in a newer version of Zquest.

Zaphod
12-09-2009, 05:55 PM
thnx!!! but it wont let me save my own custom quest or lode the 1st.qst (or any others) i did the steps but at the last part after picking 1st.qst from my browse the info box ses

Error: Unable to open file

iv tried both 1.92 Beta183 ( the custom game maker worked but it would not let me save do to an "error") and 2.10 (which did not work at all)
no mater what i did i just cant get it to work right
what did i do wrong???

pkmnfrk
12-11-2009, 01:07 AM
thnx!!! but it wont let me save my own custom quest or lode the 1st.qst (or any others) i did the steps but at the last part after picking 1st.qst from my browse the info box ses

Error: Unable to open file

iv tried both 1.92 Beta183 ( the custom game maker worked but it would not let me save do to an "error") and 2.10 (which did not work at all)
no mater what i did i just cant get it to work right
what did i do wrong???

First, let me address you in your native tongue:

lrn2 spk prper inglish

Now, to address your problems:

First, don't try to open 1st.qst, 2nd.qst or even 3rd.qst. They're passworded, and special. Don't touch them.

Second, try saving a brand new quest as something like "test.qst", and see if that still gives an error.

XularusXIII
12-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Okay, maybe you can help me. I've had Zelda Classic for a good 2 years or so now. I've been living off 2.11 Alpha Build the whole time due to Vista, though I may have missed the 2.5 Alpha Builds or they may simply have not been out then. I had a few questions regarding it that I don't believe I saw in the FAQ. Firstly, Is there a button missing? I was following a tutorial on how to use ZQ and when I got to the part telling me how to set where Link appears after you exit caves, the button in the tutorial was not on my version. I always thought this was a mistake and since it was an Alpha Build it would not be fixed. So I haven't done much at all with ZC but save sprite sheets for later use. Secondly, when I import sprites, say from Minish Cap, is there any way to keep them in their original colors? When I hit the "recolour" option, it gets me close, but it's still a ways off from the original colors. Is this simply an error in the Alpha Build or has it always been like this? If you need any screenshots, I can upload them to my deviantART page so you can view them, and you can give me feedback here, unless you also have a dA page.

EDIT: I also need to know how to import all my available tiles, sprites, etc. from my previous quest when starting a new quest because I'm attempting to start over but I want to be able to use tiles from Seasons & Ages.

TPIRFanSteve
01-24-2010, 02:14 AM
I've been trying tonight to run ZC version 1.92 on Vista, because the quests I want to play seem to be causing problems in newer versions, but I can't get 1.92 to load any quests. Every time I try, it tells me "Error: Unable to open file" if I'm in "Select Custom Quest" or "Error loading 1st.qst: Internal error occurred c:\Users\Steve\NES\Zelda Classic\1st.qst" if I'm on the main menu.

Can anyone here help me? I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Yapollo
01-24-2010, 01:33 PM
There is of course the infamous 1st quest bug in ZC 1.90, but I thought that was removed in 1.92. It may be that, if so I cannot help. However, what version of 1.92 are you using? Depending on which version you are using, you may have compatibilty problems with Vista.

TPIRFanSteve
01-25-2010, 05:05 AM
Actually, I got it figured out with some more monkeying around -- apparently, all I had to do was click on "Run as Administrator" in the Properties.

Don't you hate it when you find a simple answer to something after you've driven yourself crazy over it?

jatteberry
02-21-2010, 06:14 PM
So im brand new at this and i dont know which version of ZC to download, will anyone help me? (i have windows vista)

Yapollo
02-21-2010, 08:09 PM
So im brand new at this and i dont know which version of ZC to download, will anyone help me? (i have windows vista)

You can download any version that you want, but if you're looking for compatability...

Zelda Classic 2.10, 2.11 or 2.5 are your best bets (2.5 being the best).

However 2.11 and 2.5 are betas, so expect bugs.

jatteberry
02-21-2010, 09:23 PM
thanks for the advice

Dangomushi
02-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Firstly, Is there a button missing? I was following a tutorial on how to use ZQ and when I got to the part telling me how to set where Link appears after you exit caves, the button in the tutorial was not on my version.

This is the crux of the frustration I've been having for the last several hours trying to learn to work with this program. I'm surprised with how much research I've done and how many countless google searches attempted, I still can't find an answer to this conundrum that makes any sense.

What's the deal with the location icons (or whatever they're properly called)? From all the tutorials I've read the BLUE icon sets the location you emerge from after you've been in a treasure room, shop, etc... on the screen the door to that room's entrance is located in. The GREEN icon sets your location where you appear upon first arriving in a DMap and where you can continue from after you die.

The newer beta versions 2.11 and up don't seem to have two icons (I would use an earlier version but they all crash on my Windows XP laptop) just one GREEN icon that looks like a cross between the two. I would assume this would mean it serves the same function as both icons. But after experimenting it only seems to work like the former GREEN icon setting the location where you arrive in the DMap (does that fine with no complaints).

On the other hand, trying to set the location with this button for where to emerge after having been in a treasure cave or such seems to be useless. It always spits me back out to pretty much the same spot (slightly centered, but a little off to the left) although in one case, where I didn't use the TILE 80 or 81 cave, it was different (spit me back fully to the upper left corner).

Is there some new way of setting this (formerly blue icon controlled) position of cavern/shop exit? Is this just totally broken in the 2.11 and up betas? The recent beta I'm running on (Build 1170 from this page here: http://www.shardstorm.dreamhosters.com/) is a brilliant improvement over the older 2.11 beta I started working out with. I'd love to use it... but I need some answers on this positioning nonsense before I waste any more time virtually banging my head into walls (or re-appearing stuck within them... heh). Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Nicholas Steel
02-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Tile Warp (find it in the menu toolbar somewhere), choose the appropriate numbered tile warp and configure what screen it takes you to.

Dangomushi
02-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Tile Warp (find it in the menu toolbar somewhere), choose the appropriate numbered tile warp and configure what screen it takes you to.

It actually didn't take me too long after posting this long post of mine, to finally notice that the blue icons were there in this new version I've downloaded. They're lined up in a row of four (I guess quadrupalling your possible exit points). Looking back at the older beta version I downloaded before, the same was there... but just on it's own page apart from the item, stairs, starting, and flagging icons. Well... that makes me happy now anyways... even if I feel stupid for missing something obvious. Still, something about the way Zelda Classic and Zelda Quest is laid out seems kinda' indimitating to be honest. Like a little "geek's playtoy" that I don't yet know alll the combinations and tricks for. That so many versions of it held on to "DOS" is kinda' telling... no? Then again, I'm a bit of a nerd into obscure old things myself, eh?... I suppose I have no room to complain.

Nicholas Steel
02-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Fairly recent versions (about 300 or so builds ago) started implementing a new interface for 640x480 resolution instead of 320x240 resolution and this gives them much greater freedom over the interface, hence why the 4 blue warp panels are now on the same page as the rest.

kuukuu
11-19-2010, 06:24 PM
hey guys, how active is this place? i'm getting sad and ansy why even zlauncher won't make the 2.10 builder launch. I just get "z-quest.exe blablabla failed blablabla is closing" even with run as admin, the launcher, the check everything.

I'm so annoyed and sad.

and waiting for help. i know people have lives maybe if i ask more people

pedpna
12-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi,
I've been trying to play the game on windows 7 64 bits, and from what I understand I need the zelda classic launcher, but I can't find it anywhere. And I can't find v2.5 either, can anyone post some active download links or mail me or something? thanks

Nathaniel
12-24-2010, 09:53 PM
http://shardstorm.com/

2.5 builds are all there. ZC Launcher is also included in those builds, if you are looking for that.

pedpna
12-24-2010, 10:10 PM
thanks mate

violetwasp
01-16-2011, 11:07 PM
I have a problem:
I have been trying to play light of the heavens dx, but when I open the program it gives me this message: cannot find save file: it may be in use by another instance of ZC.
Create a new file from scratch?
Warning doing so will erase preveous save files. :confused:

That message happened to me before, and I hit yes and it erased my Lost Isle data.:banghead:
How can I fix this?

violetwasp
02-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Please help me...:(

johnsnat86
02-13-2011, 12:08 AM
so im running windows vista home edition and cannot get this to work.i get to the screen were you create a file and then press enter and get an error message saying it cant find the 1st qst. any suggestions as to how to get around this?

Miku_Hatsune
06-19-2011, 12:15 AM
I don't know if i am asking this in the proper place but here goes ^_^ "i installed ZC and double clicked Zelda Classicv2.10w and it tries to open but crashes any suggestions to what the issue is? I am using windows VISTA by the way Edit: Well i got it to load the program, but i just don't get the loading of additional quests and such. I guess this program isn't for casual gamers and PC uses and requires knowledge of what one is doing lol. so for now until a much simpler version way is made i think ill pass on this game

rocksfan13
06-20-2011, 09:06 AM
2.10 does not work on anything higher than Windows XP.

I suggest either DL'ing one of the Betas or finding 2.10.2

Turquoisefrog
06-24-2011, 02:49 AM
I've uploaded two different quests and when I try to switch to them I get "Error:Unable to open file" I'm running Vista Buisness 6.0 and zc2102.wl. I can get the first quest to run just fine. What am I doing wrong?

Turquoisefrog
06-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Just tried to switch to the second quest with the same results. I'm entering a name, hitting enter, then A, then hitting the quest and the error msg is the same

rocksfan13
06-24-2011, 09:24 AM
The 2nd quest is not a custom quest.
Just like in the original ZELDA you have to use the name of ZELDA to get to the 2nd quest.
Also, the name ALPHA will get you to the unofficial 3rd quest.

Turquoisefrog
06-25-2011, 04:47 PM
That gets me quest 2 and 3, which is cool. However, still cannot get end of time or link to the heavens. Dl'ed the file, extracted all files, did the enter, enter, name, enter, A, A, find the file, click on the file, in zelda, but when I click on the file I still get the same Error msg. So what goes?

rocksfan13
06-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Hmm, not sure about those.
They are custom quests.

europeanmetalmaniac
05-24-2015, 11:14 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to Zelda Classic - I'm 5 levels into the default 3rd quest that comes with the download.

Soon, I'll be looking to play Custom Quests. I want to play the Zelda Deluxe - 1st Quest (by Matthew Bluefox on 2.50 RC4) and I kept getting the error message when trying to load it. My version is 250. Just out of curiosity, I tried downloading another (Ballad of a Bloodline) and I was able to load/play it. I'm not interested in that one - at least not now. I want to play the Deluxe version.

I tried finding a download for 2.50 RC4 and couldn't find one.

I still have the 3rd (and 4th) quest to keep me busy for a little while longer. But what will I need to do in order to play specifically that quest? Can anybody help me?

Thanks!!