PDA

View Full Version : Default Raft Path

Legend789
05-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Or Raft Path Preference.

What direction is the raft supposed to normally go? Is there a way to change this?

Because I'm trying to make a quest were an invisible raft enables jumping, and I want to player to hold the direction to jump in. If they don't, they will fall.

Thanks in advanced.

Espo
05-07-2005, 10:34 PM
I assume you're using a raft branch to achieve this effect. I have used these a bit and so far have not seen any sort of default direction out of a raft branch.

You can get really involved and make this work with warping and timed warps. have the point of the jump be an insta-warp to a duplicate room. You want this so that the timed warp doesn't start counting until you are on point for the jump. in your duplicate room set a timed warp up for a certain count that is appropriate for your wait time and when that time expires warp to the "falling" room. The falling room can have some conveyor combos or animations or something else needlessly complicated to simulate a fall (I've simulated this kind of fall with timed warps. It works nicely however in my quest there was no choice but to fall.) So your player has the amount of time specified by the timed warp to make some action toward the jump before the warp takes them to the fall. This probably sounds pretty vague. I can get more indepth and long winded if you need me to be.

Cloral
05-07-2005, 11:43 PM
The only default behavior I know of is that the raft will go straight ahead at a branch if possible - which sounds like the behavior you'd want.

Legend789
05-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Espo, that sounds interesting. Could you please explain more?

Cloral, if I understand correctly, the default direction is straight ahead, which in this case would be forward, but I want the raft to go down as a default, to fall.

Espo
05-08-2005, 05:52 PM
A timed warp is a screen flag that isactivated as soon as you enter the screen. You specify the time on the screen flag menu in ticks (1 tick = 1/60 sec. or 60 ticks = 1 sec). When you enter the screen with the timed warp the system starts counted for the designated amount of ticks and then warps the player to a new screen specified by a tile warp. But as I right this to you I'm finding out that to use this for what you want to do is very complicated. I'll continue on my train of thought first though. So here's how you would set this up.

1) On the screen you want to have the jump on (all call this screen J) set an insta-warp to another screen that looks exactly like this one. This is so that the timed warp only activates as you are starting to jump.

2) On the screen you just warped to (called screen T for timed) set the timed warp so say 30 ticks (half a second) or however long you want to allow the player to enact their jump. Set the warp from this screen to a third screen (call it screen F for falling) where there may be an animation or something that shows link falling off the ledge.

3) Now here's what my orignal idea would have been. You have a warp just past the point of the jump and warp to the a screen that shows the player jumped to the other side. This won't work though because your warp for that screen was already taken by the timed warp. What you would need to do is use the trick for multiple tile warps on one screen (this is referenced in another thread and since I don't have the method memorized I won't describe it). The only problem with this is that the multi warp technique requires an intermediate screen that would sort of interupt the logical flow of a jumping action. Interesting problem you have here. You could make this work if the jump was on the edge of a screen cause then you could use a side warp for the jump instead of a tile warp. Or you might try getting tricky with conveyor combos but I don't know if that would look quite right. I'll think a little more on it.

Cloral
05-08-2005, 07:18 PM
The multi-warp trick wouldn't work because the warps have to be in specific locations for it to work. Specifically, warp 1 has to be on the left side of the screen, warp 3 has to be on the right side of the screen, and warp 2 must be in one of the middle 2 columns. This is because it is built on top of the 3-stair warp room, and that is how that room works.

Legend789
05-09-2005, 06:41 PM
I understand now. Thanks guys. Now I have ideas of how to do this.

Thanks again.