PDA

View Full Version : Great Idea

morarc
05-07-2005, 05:19 AM
I heard about this site and that I can create my own zelda adventure, I got the info from a gaming magazine. I was really looking forward to checking the program out, but when i got to this site, I found out that this program only recreated the 8bit version of zelda. In the mag they had a picture of the 16 100x better version a link the past.

Does anybody know if there are any plans to create 16bit games, 8 bit is well :sleep: rather lame and ugly

Starkist
05-07-2005, 05:26 AM
There are many things in this world that are lame and ugly, but 8-bit Nintendo games are not among them. Zelda Classic (www.zeldaclassic.com) is a very versatile program, just check out the quest database to see the sorts of things you can do with only 8 bits.

phattonez
05-07-2005, 09:29 AM
http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/screenshots/armag01ss01.gif

I think that quest has the graphics you're looking for, but it is one of the hardest. Go to Zeldaclassic.com (http://www.zeldaclassic.com/) to find some quests that you want to play.

Beldaran
05-07-2005, 12:29 PM
8 bit is well :sleep: rather lame and ugly

Your "gamer" license has officially been revoked. Please move to the back of the bus and take a seat with the rows upon rows of slavering EA Sports whores who think Ocarina of Time is the first Zelda game and that graphics are the most important aspect of gaming.

morarc
05-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Beldaran

Been revoked cause I dont like the 8 bit version of zelda yet I like the 16bit version. But I have played every version of zelda, I can say the best ones were a link the the past and ocarina of time. Zelda one was great when i was 7, but i look at it now with disgust. Zelda 2 was just horrible even when i was 7, I didn't like majora's mask bleh! But for some reason I always liked the 16 bit version, it is just so pretty and versatile, it is like the 3d games but in 2d.

And graphics are very important, a game has to be at least aesthetically pleasing and innovative to play. Zelda 1 is only good because it is a classic, so I am sending you to the little bus with the special kids! :laughing:

SixTen
05-07-2005, 06:17 PM
You are wrong. Zelda 1 is not good just because it's a classic. True that its graphics by todays standards are not so hot, but in 1987 I don't thing graphics were as big of an issue, if at all.

Regardless, you can go into ZQuest and edit the tiles to whatever you like. You would be surprised with what you can do with 16 colors. Keep in mind, I don't think the original Zelda used more than 8 colors, so it isn't hard to make something look better.

J.J. Maxx
05-07-2005, 07:38 PM
...graphics are very important, a game has to be at least aesthetically pleasing and innovative to play.

Tell that to the 150,000 people waiting in line to buy a home version of 'PONG' by Atari. A game consisting of a box with two lines and a circle.

I've spent the last two weeks playing an 8-bit game and personally, I think it's great.

You're not gonna find much sympathy around here as most of us are avid classic gamers who enjoy the finer games. I don't care how many CGI movies you cram into a 5 DVD-ROM game. I have a grey cartridge with no load times that cost me 5 bucks that I'll take any day.

The Ion Extreme
05-07-2005, 08:28 PM
If I may but in and add something about modern Zeldas, I have a statement.

Compare how many people have beaten Ocarina of Time to how many people have beaten the Second Quest in the first Legend of Zelda.

I believe that graphics should only be a flavor to a game, not a main component. What is the point of having great graphics if the gameplay is horrible. Halo is a good example of this.

Jigglysaint
05-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Tell that to the 150,000 people waiting in line to buy a home version of 'PONG' by Atari. A game consisting of a box with two lines and a circle.

I've spent the last two weeks playing an 8-bit game and personally, I think it's great.

You're not gonna find much sympathy around here as most of us are avid classic gamers who enjoy the finer games. I don't care how many CGI movies you cram into a 5 DVD-ROM game. I have a grey cartridge with no load times that cost me 5 bucks that I'll take any day.

Speaking of which, while I was at my brother's house playing his Atari joystick game, I found a spot in pong that lets me win every time without having to move the stick.

Anyway, people have their tastes. For me it's a bit strange. I wasn't exactly raised on old Atari and Intellevision games, but I still love playing them. Even today, these games are simple and mindless, and have challenge. Today's games are made for ADD children who need those extra graphics and CGI movies to keep them entertained while the actual game loads. The first Zelda game was certainly fun, but when people are raised on better, it's not easy to go and try the first in the series. For me, graphics is not a stumbling block, neither is music or plot. As long as the music doesn't blow chunks(thank you Total Recall), you can see what you are doing, and you can move well enough to have a shot at winning, it's a good game. Extras make it better, which is why I am in favour of games like Metroid Zero Mission which added to the game to give it depth. That doesn't mean the first Metroid wasn't fun to play(and Kraid's hideout music in the NES is better than the GBA version). Nolstalga often doesn't work backwards. Usually people set the level at whatever they knew as a kid. So if 16 bit Zelda was the standard, then anything older just doesn't have that great feel. I've a bit more retro-compatable myself.

AlexMax
05-07-2005, 10:18 PM
You can change the default tileset, you know, to less 'ugly' sprites and tiles.

Quite a few modern quests use them, in fact.

Ganonator
05-07-2005, 10:34 PM
from a developers standpoint, ZC about 90% of the technical advancements of LttP, and can even use LttP graphics.

Enjoy it! It's free, and there are hundreds of quests for it!

Beldaran
05-07-2005, 11:52 PM
. Zelda 1 is only good because it is a classic, so I am sending you to the little bus with the special kids! :laughing:

This doesn't even makes sense. Something only become a classic if it was good to begin with. In twenty years, no one will be watching Gigli and saying "I love watching this because it's a classic." Gigli will be the same peice of shit twenty years from now that it was when it first came out. Zelda is a "classic" because it was fun as fuck twenty years ago, and it's fun as fuck today, even though it's technology is badly outdated.

Zelda is still popular because it has really fun gameplay. I still love battling overworld enemies. It's aesthetically pleasing to whoop their asses with my sword and block zora fire balls with my sheild. It's fun because in my imagination, I see Link as this little bad ass just taking care of business. It's fun to find a dungeon for the first time and go in. The creepy music plays and you know that somewhere in the labyrinth lies the peice of triforce and a special treasure. You must fight through creepy and difficult monsters to get it. It's a bad ass game.

Clearly Legend of Zelda has been eclipsed in almost every single way by it's derivative titles and by modern technology, but none of that changes the fact that it's a bad ass little game that's a fun challenge. Zelda Classic just adds another dimension of fun to an already loved title.

Saying "its only good because its a classic" puts false emphasis on what a classic is. Being old does not make something good, unless you are one of those cultural pimple farts who just goes around saying you like things that lots of other people like because you are too afraid (or too stupid) to have your own opinion.

I can't stand the movie "The Never Ending Story". It's a horrible film, and I didn't enjoy it. But tons of people love it and it is considered a classic. I would have to be a real tool to start liking it just because it's a classic. I didn't like in the 80's and I don't like now.

morarc
05-08-2005, 08:55 PM
I am not saying zelda 1 is not good for its time, it was an excellent innovative game for the 80's. But in what way does Zelda 1 beat Zelda "A link to the past"

I loved that game cause it not only had pretty graphics, even for this time, but how much you can interact with the enviroment, like cut bushes, dash around with the special boots, catch bugs, swim, lift objects, push and pull object. The wonderful magic of the medallions, using the hookshot, oh and killing chickens! Many fun interactive things which are very simple yet are lacking in zelda one. :(

Kairyu
05-08-2005, 09:01 PM
I couldn't care less if a game is 8-bit or 800 mB of data. If it's fun, it's fun, if it sucks, it sucks, but you've made better arguments, Beldaran.

This doesn't even makes sense. Something only become a classic if it was good to begin with. In twenty years, no one will be watching Gigli and saying "I love watching this because it's a classic." Gigli will be the same peice of shit twenty years from now that it was when it first came out. Zelda is a "classic" because it was fun as fuck twenty years ago, and it's fun as fuck today, even though it's technology is badly outdated.

I can't stand the movie "The Never Ending Story". It's a horrible film, and I didn't enjoy it. But tons of people love it and it is considered a classic. I would have to be a real tool to start liking it just because it's a classic. I didn't like in the 80's and I don't like now.
Contradictions, in the same post. It's classic, so it was good then and is good now, but it sucks?

Zelda is still popular because it has really fun gameplay. I still love battling overworld enemies. It's aesthetically pleasing to whoop their asses with my sword and block zora fire balls with my sheild. It's fun because in my imagination, I see Link as this little bad ass just taking care of business. It's fun to find a dungeon for the first time and go in. The creepy music plays and you know that somewhere in the labyrinth lies the peice of triforce and a special treasure. You must fight through creepy and difficult monsters to get it. It's a bad ass game.
I'm not willing or able to comment on this. Either it's just strange, or it's an absolutely hilarious reference to something, I'm not sure which.

Clearly Legend of Zelda has been eclipsed in almost every single way by it's derivative titles and by modern technology, but none of that changes the fact that it's a bad ass little game that's a fun challenge. Zelda Classic just adds another dimension of fun to an already loved title.
Okay, that was excellent.

Saying "its only good because its a classic" puts false emphasis on what a classic is. Being old does not make something good, unless you are one of those cultural pimple farts who just goes around saying you like things that lots of other people like because you are too afraid (or too stupid) to have your own opinion.
"cultural pimple farts" is the most unique insult I've heard in a while. Not a long while, but a while nontheless. I'm gonna write that one down.

In conclusion, graphics don't make the game. The game makes the game. But graphics are part of the game, so graphics do partially make the game. But they don't make the game.
... Wait, which side was I arguing for again?

morarc
05-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Graphics are important, they dont have to look beautiful but nice enough so you dont look at it with disgust. But I started looking at some of the screenshots to the other games here, the graphics are "better" not 16 bit quality but bareable ,but they still have zelda 1 limitation of only having 2 buttons and not being able to interact much with the world.

I remember trying to find a secret passageway when i was a kid, I would bomb the hell outta every pixel of the wall looking for a passageway, with the 16bit better looking version of zelday, I would bomb where I could kinda see a crack. Another reason why I didn't like the original.

Kairyu
05-09-2005, 11:56 AM
I remember trying to find a secret passageway when i was a kid, I would bomb the hell outta every pixel of the wall looking for a passageway, with the 16bit better looking version of zelday, I would bomb where I could kinda see a crack. Another reason why I didn't like the original.
That isn't related to the graphics. It's a matter of how the game was designed. I always hated when a game didn't give any indication whatsoever that there was a hidden secret needed to continue somewhere. It's not a reward for exploration or figuring out puzzles, it's rewarding luck and mindlessly performing random attacks on random objects.