PDA

View Full Version : Crystalis

J.J. Maxx
05-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Honestly, I love this game. Crystalis will always be my all-time favorite RPG, ever. It was released at the tail end of the NES era. It followed Adventures of Link but preceded LTTP. It was nice looking, graphics-wise, it was fun, it was smooth and best of all, it was addiciting.

To me, the game was the perfect length and had the perfect mixture of leveling up, real-time combat and storyline.

They did a remake for the GBC but it was the same game with some souped up graphics and the menu system, IMO, was worse than the original. It also seemed sluggish.

I've been playing through it again recently and it's just as fun as the first time through.

I'd say that Crystalis was superior to both NES Zelda's and was alot more involving than most of the 16x16 RPG's of the period. (DW, LoZ, etc..)

Anywho, if had a quarter of the talent that PM had, I would devote my entire life to remaking this great game. And if I ever won the lottery, there would be a Crystalis 2. ;)

Brasel
05-06-2005, 03:16 PM
I still have my copy, and my GB Color copy. I beat this game so many times, and yes, I agree. I hate to say it. It WAS superior to Zelda. Sorry fanboys. I really want to see another one, but not now. Not in this 3d era. I'd rather see another sprite based Crystalis. Game Boy Advance maybe?

J.J. Maxx
05-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I still have my copy, and my GB Color copy. I beat this game so many times, and yes, I agree. I hate to say it. It WAS superior to Zelda. Sorry fanboys. I really want to see another one, but not now. Not in this 3d era. I'd rather see another sprite based Crystalis. Game Boy Advance maybe?

I agree! Thats what I would make! Keep the 2-D spritebase but make it better, bigger and more in depth!! Woo-yaaa!

AtmaWeapon
05-06-2005, 07:47 PM
I remember it was one of my favorite games for the NES but I never finished it. I need to look through my collection and see if I have it.

Daarkseid
05-06-2005, 09:36 PM
When holding down the sword button, what results makes me wonder if the hero is not completely carcinogenic.

Christ, getting to level 4 in that first zone took forever. Well, on towards level 5.

Ding! Level 5.

And level 6..

J.J. Maxx
05-07-2005, 09:00 AM
When holding down the sword button, what results makes me wonder if the hero is not completely carcinogenic.

Christ, getting to level 4 in that first zone took forever. Well, on towards level 5.

Ding! Level 5.

And level 6..

Yeah, I think that when I remake the game, the balls of power may just go with it. I mean, it will still have the ability to power up but now with all the power balls, maybe the sword will glow brighter and brighter or something.

Yeah, the key is to find the good spots to level up. There's a good one in Mt. Sabre North after you reach Nadares Inn. As you progress through the cave system, there is one screen where you exit out of the caves for only about 15 feet and then there's another cave entrance. There's also two octotellies. Go to the right cave entrance and keep going in and out and shooting them both with a Level 2 Fire Sword. 1 shot should kill both of them. For even faster leveling up, don't collect the money they leave behind.

Also, here's a tip: The Mimic Chests give you 500 bucks a piece. ;) They don't respawn unless you leave the area and come back. Look for a good place east of Portoa, once you have the Ball of Ice.

EDIT: I just realized that the reason Crystalis probably didn't get the same following as Zelda is because it was released in 1990, the same year the SNES came out. So it kinda missed the peak NES years.

Manny
05-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Definatly a rad title that brings back fond memories. I never finished it though, but i've always considered it a classic. By far one of the best Action/RPGs ever created. Great music, original story and great gameplay concepts. I remember using telepathy to talk to the dudes but i never remember what it did haha.
cheers,
-manny

Dechipher
05-07-2005, 02:56 PM
I have it for GBC, and I cna't frigging beat the thing.
The Queen just told me to do something, I can get into the earth cave, but have no earth sword, so I can't go anywhere.
Any tips?

J.J. Maxx
05-07-2005, 03:53 PM
I have it for GBC, and I cna't frigging beat the thing.
The Queen just told me to do something, I can get into the earth cave, but have no earth sword, so I can't go anywhere.
Any tips?

I haven't played the GBC version all the way through so I don't know how much they changed later in the game. Which queen are talking about?

And as far as I know, there's the Wind, Fire, Water and Thunder sword.

Dechipher
05-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Maybe it's the water cave....It's all brown though, so I assumed it was the earth cavern.

The Queen that is also a fortuneteller.

J.J. Maxx
05-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Well, in order to prgress through the Waterfall Cave east of Portoa, you must talk with the queen and the fortune teller until the queen gets upset and walks out the back door. Use your paralysis spell on the gaurd and follow the queen and she will give you the Flute of Lime which can be used to un-stone the people in the cave behind the waterfall.

The Sword of Water is in that cave.

At this point you should already have the Sword of Wind and the Sword of Fire.

Gerudo
05-13-2005, 03:10 AM
I have it for GBC

gads, i played the rom, and hated the music for it. all the other stuff is neat, but the music drove me insane...

J.J. Maxx
05-13-2005, 08:42 AM
gads, i played the rom, and hated the music for it. all the other stuff is neat, but the music drove me insane...

Are you serious? The music is the best! Especially toward the end when all your friends are dead.

Gerudo
05-13-2005, 11:42 AM
i meant the GBC's music sucked, the nes version's music was awesome.

J.J. Maxx
05-13-2005, 01:28 PM
i meant the GBC's music sucked, the nes version's music was awesome.

Oh yeah, I bought the GBC Crystalis and couldn't believe the crap that was oozing out of my Gameboy's speakers.

They added digitized voices but totally lost me on the bad music. I don't much like the menu system either.

On another topic, I have started creating the PENULTIMATE CRYSTALIS ATLAS!

Yep, I am going to map out every single place in the game. I'll be having it on display over at vgmaps.com

Here's a peek!

Windmill Cave (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JJMaxx/Crystalis%20Maps/wmcaveb.png)

Warning! Not for the connection-challenged!

ShadowTiger
05-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Heh. Indeed. ;)

* Finds The Game *
* Plays Crystalis *
* Loves Crystalis *
*Gets Stuck In Crystalis *
XD

I just recieved the fog lamp and the Shell Flute from that sea creature. What do I do now? o_o I can't quite seem to get anything done at this point...