PDA

View Full Version : Solstice

Manny
05-06-2005, 01:11 AM
Anyone remember this ancient NES 3D platformer/adventure/puzzle? I was down with the flu/bad cold this week so bored out of mind at home, I dug up some old NES carts to play and one of them happened to be this gem. I never completed the game before, finding it far too challenging.
The game takes place in a giant castle/forest/dungeon/cave sorta maze and you have to collect 6 pieces of a staff scattered throughout the many rooms. You are in control of the wizard Shadax in the game. The game keeps track of how many rooms you've ventured and has a small map, and room completion total (best i got was something like 213 rooms, 83.16% or something like that). Worse over there is no save or password system and the continue system is different but can be lame at the same time. You have to find credits to continue and when you do continue you continue from your last credit. Get game over and you go back to the credit before hand and lose your progress to date.
The game is very entertaining though. The puzzles can be mind-boggling hard, to common-sense simple. You have to utilize certain techniques and tricks to make your way through your enviornment. Shadax has at his disposal 4 types of potions: Blue, Green, Purple and Yellow. You start with each at half (2 uses). The Blue makes you invincible (minus spikes) on a screen, Green detects hidden bricks, Purple kills all enemies and objects, Yellow freezes the enemies and objects on the screen.
Well after a few days hacking at it off and on I finally finished it, taking me an hour and a half or so in that particular run (still finding hidden passages mind you!)
So yeah if you haven't played it, check it out, or download the ROM or whatever. Good stuff.
-manny

Foxx
05-06-2005, 01:34 AM
I remember that game. I used to play it on an emulator some years ago. Harder than hell. Some of the maneuvers you have to perform are insane.

Grasshopper
05-06-2005, 02:10 PM
I actually have the game. Of course I wasn't able to beat it when I was little. I had to make maps to get around, because once you get out of the dungeons and get to the castle , its kind of confusing.

It is pretty difficult though, and I got all the staff pieces except the last one, which was at the top of the final tower. You had to do some mad jumping I think, and stop time to jump on the correct floating blocks. So I couldn't beat Morbius.

I did manage to beat a few years ago on an emulator. Another gem, that I never got to play all the way through would be the SNES sequel to it, Equinox. I never got to get through the whole game, so I'm not sure which game ended up as a better game.

ShadowTiger
05-06-2005, 02:15 PM
I have to dig out both these games. I miss them tremendously. It was the last NES game of mine to "remember" after quite some time of playing nothing but PC games.

Thanks for the reminder Manny. :p

AlexMax
05-06-2005, 02:50 PM
This was a friggin' fantastic game. The intro music was awesome, the puzzles were hard, and I'm still trying to beat it.

Also, there is a sequel to this game called Equinox that came out on the SNES. It's a pretty neat game as well.

Underdogs entry on Solstice (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Solstice)

Underdogs entry on Equinox (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3397)

And hats off to you, sir, for making a thread that's about a more obscure game instead of yet another HOLY SHIT MORE ZELDA PICS thread.

Brasel
05-06-2005, 03:11 PM
I have this game. I play it every December, before christmas. I don't know why, its always been a weird ritual of mine. I never got too far into it. I always get about two pieces of staff and then I get bored and turn it off. I always loved the game though. The theme during the gameplay is so memorable, yet so bland.

Manny
05-07-2005, 10:33 AM
I remember Equinox. I always wanted that game but back when I was a kid, I never had the money. After I beat Solstice that day I checked Ebay for it and they had a couple copies which I might bid on. The screens look pretty cool. How does it stand up to Solstice?
-manny

Grasshopper
05-07-2005, 12:01 PM
I have this game. I play it every December, before christmas. I don't know why, its always been a weird ritual of mine.

Unless you do it on purpose... it is ironic, considering the winter solstice is on December 21st/22nd.

punkonjunk1024
05-07-2005, 10:05 PM
The game is awesome. I was just playing it a few days ago on my flash cartridge. Great NES game. NES rules.

ShadowTiger
05-07-2005, 10:13 PM
... OMG ... Alexmax ... Check that page again.

"If you like this game, try: Equinox, Contraption Zack, Zelda Classic"
Holy shizzlebot.

Gotta get this again. I still have the game, but not the NES system itself. The download link seemed to be broken there anyway.

AlexMax
05-08-2005, 04:31 AM
... OMG ... Alexmax ... Check that page again.

"If you like this game, try: Equinox, Contraption Zack, Zelda Classic"
Holy shizzlebot..

Uh yeah, Zelda Classic has been on underdogs for a longass time.