PDA

View Full Version : HEAD A SPLODE OH GOD AWESOME ;laksjdpofians;dlkfna;lsj

AtmaWeapon
05-05-2005, 10:55 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3140041

We Love Katamari! :) There will be a sequel to this great game and you WILL buy it :)

Darth Marsden
05-06-2005, 08:58 AM
How utterly random. I love it! Hope it's out on Gamecube...

MANDRAG GANON
05-06-2005, 12:23 PM
O.O I knew about this months ago!
Na na na na na na na na na Katamari Damashii

AlexMax
05-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Ah yeah! I've known about the sequel for a while, but I didn't know it was coming to the U.S. until now.

Ah......lonely rolling star!

How utterly random. I love it! Hope it's out on Gamecube...

Doubt it. It would ba a major pain in the ass to play on the Gamecube controller with the gimped C stick.

ShadowTiger
05-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Nah, it could be, but you really never know until you actually try it. If it came out on the GCN, I'd be more than willing to give it a try. o.o

MANDRAG GANON
05-06-2005, 07:18 PM
For the Gamecube, No. Although they are making Katamari Damashii for the Gameboy DS.

AtmaWeapon
05-06-2005, 07:46 PM
I can't really see playing this game on the Gamecube, no matter how much I love the Gamecube.

The problem is the C-stick and the normal analog stick are not equal in size or sensitivity, I think. On the PS2 it is quite obvious that both sticks are identical, so training your thumbs to move in the proper unison is no big deal. On the GCN, the two sticks are somewhat different and have a different tactile feel, which would get in the way of thumb coordination.

It's probably nothing that several hours of play wouldn't overcome, but I do understand why it wouldn't work.

Darth Marsden
05-07-2005, 08:25 AM
For the Gamecube, No. Although they are making Katamari Damashii for the Gameboy DS. That'll do pig, that'll do. (5 points for the first person to tell me which film that's from)

I'll have to keep my eye out for it, it's just the kind of insane randomness that I tend to really enjoy.

Grasshopper
05-07-2005, 12:32 PM
I can't really see playing this game on the Gamecube, no matter how much I love the Gamecube.

The problem is the C-stick and the normal analog stick are not equal in size or sensitivity, I think. On the PS2 it is quite obvious that both sticks are identical, so training your thumbs to move in the proper unison is no big deal. On the GCN, the two sticks are somewhat different and have a different tactile feel, which would get in the way of thumb coordination.

It's probably nothing that several hours of play wouldn't overcome, but I do understand why it wouldn't work.

I'd have to disagree. The PS2 controls wasn't that hard. And to me, I don't think the GC version would be that different. Even if they are at different levels, and different sizes. Your thumbs are stationary on the sticks. They don't move, so your mind shouldn't have to adjust to anything. You're not looking at anything so it shouldn't bother you.

There was a guy by the name of George Stratton who wore inverted lenses for 8 weeks in a row, and after a while, he begin to see things upright again, even though he was wearing the inverted lenses. A professor I had told me about this, and you can find it on the internet if you look around. I thought that was kind of interesting. :)

Anyway, even with the gamecube controller set up that way, I can't see how it would take that long a time to get used to its layout for Katamari Damacy compared to the PS2. In my opinion, it would take the same amount of time to get used to the GC controller as it does for the PS2 controller. If it took several hours to get used to it, it would've probably taken several hours to get used to the PS2 setup as well. :) Thats just my opinion though.

Also based on the user base of the Gamecube, I think Katamari Damacy would be an excellent game for it.

PS2 is still a good platform for it. They might have chosen that not because of the controller, but because more people own one. You never know. :shrug:

AlexMax
05-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Why are we arguing over why Katamari should or should not appear on the cube? I personally would kill for an Xbox version, and the Controller S would work a lot better than the cube controller, since the two sticks are identical in shape and size.

Also, to get it all to fit on a disc the size of the Gamecube, they'd probably have to take some shortcuts, like clipping off some of the soundstrack (HELL NO).

Also, unless you're Nintendo or some huge first party releasing some highly quirky first party game (like Pikmin), you're better off releasing your quirky game for the system that has the biggest market. Simple economics.

Jeez, if you're that desporate to play it, just borrow a friends PS2, I"m sure at least one of your friends has one.

Grasshopper
05-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Nobody's arguing. Just a friendly discussion from my point of view. :)
The soundtrack is one of the best things about the game. I need to get a copy if I ever get some spare $$.

Anyway, I think I've read that it was coming over several months back, unless it was just rumors. And I need some help getting the people I work with to play this game. I have a few who dare to disrespect it, and call it "The Trash Game". :rolleyes:

What I want is an even bigger area to roll around in then last time. Sure, makeing the moon was awesome. I scraped up everything save for a few clouds here and there. I want to make my Katamari even bigger.

AtmaWeapon
05-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Alex I had not considered the music issue; I am not certain how much space Katamari Damacy used on the PS2 disc but there are some simple mathematics. Assuming the soundtrack was not compressed and that it filled the entire CD I bought (I'm too lazy to check) that's 650MB of audio. If I recall correctly a GCN disc packs 1.5 GB of gaming fury whereas Sony has an advantage with a DVD's 4 GB or so of data. That means either Namco would have to implement some heavy compression of the audio on GCN or it probably just wouldn't fit (though I can't see why the game would have to take more than 200 or 300MB other than lazy programmers; remember the GCN can do texture compression much better than the PS2 and I imagine graphics and models took up as much space as the music on the PS2).

The game is not on Xbox for the same reason you mentioned it belongs on the PS2, AlexMax. Economics. The Gamecube has a niche crowd of retro gamers and people who enjoy gameplay over eye candy. The PS2 has a more diverse crowd that consists of casual gamers, jock gamers, retro gamers, and many other subcultures. The XBox's demographic consists of neanderthals that want tits, shiny objects, explosions, and Halo; the more you can fit in the game the better. Microsoft is even more unaware of what gamers want than Sony, which is no small feat. Only Nokia has less of a clue.

Anyway, if the omission of audio tracks were the reason, I'd say the game belongs on PS2. I'd rather have no sequel at all than a sequel with an aborted soundtrack.

Speaking of the soundtrack, does anyone else notice some oddities in the audio to the original game? I have both the game and the soundtrack CD, and both exhibit a sound much akin to CD "skipping" on various tracks. If you are also blessed with the soundtrack, check around 3:44 in Track 2 (Katamari on the Rock) to see what I'm talking about. If you don't have the soundtrack, just play the "Make the Moon" level and listen close when the music slows and the "cha cha cha"ing starts for the second time. This happens in both the PS2 game and on the soundtrack, so it seems to be an anomaly in the recording. How could they let this slip?

AlexMax
05-11-2005, 05:01 AM
The game is not on Xbox for the same reason you mentioned it belongs on the PS2, AlexMax. Economics. The Gamecube has a niche crowd of retro gamers and people who enjoy gameplay over eye candy. The PS2 has a more diverse crowd that consists of casual gamers, jock gamers, retro gamers, and many other subcultures. The XBox's demographic consists of neanderthals that want tits, shiny objects, explosions, and Halo; the more you can fit in the game the better. Microsoft is even more unaware of what gamers want than Sony, which is no small feat. Only Nokia has less of a clue.

Wishful thinking on my part, with my head firmly in the reality that the X-box is not getting Damancy, ever.

Though I am annoyed by your pigeonholing of people just based on console. However, let's not get too offtopic.

Anyway, if the omission of audio tracks were the reason, I'd say the game belongs on PS2. I'd rather have no sequel at all than a sequel with an aborted soundtrack.

* has memories of the N64 version of Tony Hawk, and hearing the chorus of a song every minute or so

NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo...................