PDA

View Full Version : What do you think Wind Waker and Aonuma?

Nameless
05-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Some Japanese Zelda fans hate Wind Waker and Aonuma. But I would like to know opnions at AGN...

theplustwo
05-05-2005, 11:54 AM
What is this Aonuma of which you speak? A google image search returns NWS slinty-eyed chicks. If it's Majora's Mask then they are fools. Wind Waker is awesome. Majora's Mask > OOT as far as I'm concerned, but they're all great games.

Nameless
05-05-2005, 12:13 PM
What is this Aonuma of which you speak?
I'm sorry... :( Aonuma is the director of The Wind Waker.

theplustwo
05-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Oh, well I think he did a good job. Wind Waker was the most engrossing and spectacular game I've played in a long time.

ShadowTiger
05-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Indeed. Probably, the most engrossing factor for me, was the detail and the animation. Each texture had so many frames of animation, I was sitting there watching it all for many, many minutes. The Deku Tree Haven, oh, man, I loved that place so much. You could actually FEEL a cool breeze pass you by when you were in there. I mean, dayamn, ...

I also really enjoyed taking a tour of the Hyrule Castle, Frozen in Time. That was so eerie. You see guards just standing there, totally immobile. They don't see you, and can't interact. You can't help but feel a little jittery when you're in there.

And then the world lit up.

So damn cool.

Darth Marsden
05-05-2005, 12:41 PM
It was a Zelda game - that's about all you need to say. You don't need to mention that it was a GOOD Zelda game, because that comes as standard. The only game that was a letdown for the series was (to a degree) The Adventure of Link.

Wind Waker was a fantastic game and it felt so different to everything else at the time. The cel-shading wasn't just a gimmick, it was an integral part of the game and it really sucked you in. The only criticism I can level at it is the lack of dungeons, but then Majora's Mask had the same problem and it didn't hurt it that much.

Blonde799
05-05-2005, 03:45 PM
As far as I know, Eiji Aonuma was the director of the Wind Waker game(and also I think OoT). IMO, a good job was done on the art design in that game, but the gameplay itself had much room for improvement. What improvements does it need you ask?

First of all, the game was very easy. So easy, that I could do a 3 HC run with my eyes closed. Well not really, but it wouldn't be very hard. I had to raise my suckage level just to get a decent challenge out of the game. Not only that, but there weren't a good deal of any enemies to actually battle in that game overall. There were a lot of puzzles to solve though, but they were pretty easy as well. I didn't have very much fun doing those. The bosses were punks, and made me think Link had some armor on, because a giant monster can't smack Link upside his head and NOT kill him in one hit. Link's a tough old broad huh?

Next, we have the tale of GREENBEARD! Seriously, did anyone else think Link was gonna grow up to be a friggin pirate? The player does more sailing than anything else in the game. In fact, if I didn't know any better, sailing probably composes of over 60% of the gameplay. Why does he sail so much you ask? BECAUSE MOST OF THE GAME WORLD WAS MADE OF WATER!! Every island along the main quest was of a decent size, but small in comparison to the world. Also, a lot of your treasure hunting isn't rewarded very well, and the side quests don't have much of a purpose other than being there to make a person's game time seem longer.

And the last one...the quest for the triforce. What, I have to find several pieces of the triforce? Awesome! Wait...I have to find MAPS? And get them looked at by an annoying character for a large fee? But I don't have any money like that. What, I have to find ridiculously bigger wallets? That have little use outside this quest? Well, the triforce hunting must be good at least right? Nope. That's about as tedious as the whole quest itself, which seems like a giant trading quest that was made mandatory at the last second. And personally, I think it was. Because this game is pretty short even with all that. Oh, and don't get me started on the "second quest". That was a real letdown. I bet that would've given the game a ton more replay value, but alas...

That's my opinion on the game. If you think any of this is wrong, well there's a process involving your dirt chute that you guys already know about by now...:p

Darth Marsden
05-05-2005, 04:13 PM
As far as I know, Eiji Aonuma was the director of the Wind Waker game(and also I think OoT). IMO, a good job was done on the art design in that game, but the gameplay itself had much room for improvement. What improvements does it need you ask? Ah, that explains the similarity in gameplay. And coolness. Heh, they were both SO cool. :cool:

First of all, the game was very easy. So easy, that I could do a 3 HC run with my eyes closed. Well not really, but it wouldn't be very hard. I had to raise my suckage level just to get a decent challenge out of the game. Not only that, but there weren't a good deal of any enemies to actually battle in that game overall. There were a lot of puzzles to solve though, but they were pretty easy as well. I didn't have very much fun doing those. The bosses were punks, and made me think Link had some armor on, because a giant monster can't smack Link upside his head and NOT kill him in one hit. Link's a tough old broad huh? ...never played Starfox Adventures, have you? Easiest. Game. EVER. You know what? When I get to Wind Waker, I'm gonna try the 3-heart challenge. I've got both Four-Swords to get through first, but remind me about it later and I'll do it. Seriously.

Next, we have the tale of GREENBEARD! Seriously, did anyone else think Link was gonna grow up to be a friggin pirate? The player does more sailing than anything else in the game. In fact, if I didn't know any better, sailing probably composes of over 60% of the gameplay. Why does he sail so much you ask? BECAUSE MOST OF THE GAME WORLD WAS MADE OF WATER!! Every island along the main quest was of a decent size, but small in comparison to the world. Also, a lot of your treasure hunting isn't rewarded very well, and the side quests don't have much of a purpose other than being there to make a person's game time seem longer. Well, it was a good way of hiding the loading pauses, wasn't it? And it was always fun playing the 'Ruppee Barrels' game.

And the last one...the quest for the triforce. What, I have to find several pieces of the triforce? Awesome! Wait...I have to find MAPS? And get them looked at by an annoying character for a large fee? But I don't have any money like that. What, I have to find ridiculously bigger wallets? That have little use outside this quest? Well, the triforce hunting must be good at least right? Nope. That's about as tedious as the whole quest itself, which seems like a giant trading quest that was made mandatory at the last second. And personally, I think it was. Because this game is pretty short even with all that. Oh, and don't get me started on the "second quest". That was a real letdown. I bet that would've given the game a ton more replay value, but alas... If, like me, you're a sidequest-mad fiend, then this is no problem whatsoever. I can, however, understand the frustrations for people who are not. Did you know they cut a whole dungeon out? Try and guess where it should have gone.

That's my opinion on the game. If you think any of this is wrong, well there's a process involving your dirt chute that you guys already know about by now...:p Not wrong, just... misguided. It's still a good game overall though, right?

AlexMax
05-05-2005, 04:50 PM
It was a potentially great game ruined by the Triforce Fetch Quest and lack of dungeons.

And the sailing, while fun for the first couple of minutes, made exploring a chore and made the world seem bigger than it actually is.

I really like how it looked though...

vegeta1215
05-05-2005, 05:02 PM
I think it would be harder to do a 3-heart challenge in The Wind Waker than OoT (which I've done) and Majora's Mask. There are some parts where you have to fight massive amounts of enemies, such as in the Frozen Hyrule Castle, and the 100 level "dungeon" on Outset Island. Plus, Puppet Ganon's snake form is such a pain to fight.

Cloral
05-05-2005, 05:07 PM
I thought the game was fun, fun enough to play through a second time a couple years later. Of course it needed more dungeons, and there needed to be a better reward for doing the sidequests. You never needed anywhere near all that health, and once you had enough money to do the maps, there really wasn't anything else to spend your money on. It would have been nice to have a useful treasure that cost like $3500 to give you something to shoot for. Then again, the battles were already too easy, and such a treasure would've made them even easier...

Nameless
05-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Hmm...,many Japanese surely said Wind Waker is too easy and a nuisance.

Gerudo
05-06-2005, 03:01 AM
Wind Warker?

wtf?

Nameless
05-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Wind Waker is one of official Zelda games...

goKi
05-06-2005, 04:16 AM
Wind Waker....

Nameless
05-06-2005, 04:48 AM
Oh, I'm wrong... But I cann't fix thread title...

MacWeirdo42
05-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Mmm... I freakin' loved Wind Waker. One of my favorite Zelda games of all time. Frankly, as excited as I am about this new Zelda game coming out, I must admit I was just a teensy bit disappointed that we were getting this instead of Wind Waker 2 (as the rumors had earlier implied). If I had any free time, I'd go back and play it again right now (along with a dozen other games I need to play through, including OOT - yeesh, my summer is going to be busy).

Darth Marsden
05-06-2005, 08:53 AM
I think it would be harder to do a 3-heart challenge in The Wind Waker than OoT (which I've done) and Majora's Mask. There are some parts where you have to fight massive amounts of enemies, such as in the Frozen Hyrule Castle, and the 100 level "dungeon" on Outset Island. Plus, Puppet Ganon's snake form is such a pain to fight. Oh yeah, forgot Puppet Ganon. Oh well, there's nothing wrong about bringing along a load of faries, right? RIGHT?!?

And this is Wind Waker 2 - technically. I'm actually more thrilled about the realistic textures being so damned pretty then getting another cel-shaded Zelda, but personally it's always been about the gameplay to me. Graphics are nice, but by no means essential.

vegeta1215
05-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Aonuma played a big role in the development of Majora's Mask, so he's the man imo.

btw, I fixed the title for all you goofballs who feel compelled to point out a spelling error despite knowing what Nameless meant.

Nameless
05-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks... I'm a stupid Japanese, so I wrong the word.