PDA

View Full Version : An interesting comic

AtmaWeapon
05-05-2005, 12:47 AM
I found this the other day in my daily online journey. It is not an official comic but a fan comic. However, I find it speaks volumes about how we grow up and what maturity does to our inner child.

I must admit it bothered me and I still think about it and frown from time to time.

Sorry if I break the tables, I think this is worth it:

http://www.atmaweapon.org/images/AGN/calvin6ra.jpg

SomUnknown
05-05-2005, 01:24 AM
I've been a huge fan of Calvin and Hobbes for a long time, this is sadder than the final comic. (I know this isn't an official comic.)

Beldaran
05-05-2005, 02:23 AM
That's almost profound. We should all continue to feed our inner child. It is from that part of our minds and personality that we get creativity, happiness, and joy. Without those, being an adult is just one chore after another.

Verman
05-05-2005, 08:33 AM
that was actully very sad... and true as well. good post atma

ShadowTiger
05-05-2005, 09:27 AM
... ... I suddenly feel inspired to write a very sad poem. j_j

I had a nightmare that worked just like that comic... I developed a fever that morning as well. I'm not going to put 2 and 2 together, but ...

moocow
05-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Wow, that made me want to cry :'(

Ich
05-05-2005, 11:39 AM
It is unforunate how life demands that people live like this. I mourn.

Carcer
05-05-2005, 01:04 PM
That reminds me of the part in His Dark Materials: The Amber Spyglass where Lyra has to leave Pantalaimon behind so that she can enter the island of the dead. The way you are told how he'll simply wait there and watch is really saddening, not wanted, like that comic. A good one though.

Darth Marsden
05-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Let us remember the very best of times... (http://www.progressiveboink.com/archive/calvinhobbes.htm)

It is a very sad ending, and after a few minutes of just looking at it I thought to myself "Wow. That's even more sad then the PROPER final comic." It takes a lot to do that. Full credit to whoever did.

theplustwo
05-05-2005, 01:27 PM
I didn't think the real final comic was sad... it was sad in that it was the final comic, sure, but the fact that basically it said "Calvin lives on in each of you" was moving and uplifting!

Also, I'm glad that the "canon" Calvin would really do something more akin to the "I've almost started" series where he daydreams and becomes the size of a planet while he is supposed to be doing homework.

punkonjunk1024
05-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Guh. Nauseating.
Touches me personally, as I was a hardcore ritilin kid. Because of these wondrous drugs, I suffer 2 of 3 newer found long term damages caused by the drug, metabolic damages, and short term memory problems. I can eat as much as I'd like, and I will not gain weight. I struggle to maintain a healthy weight, and I eat... alot. I'd be underweight if I didn't work at it. Some people would kill for this, but trust me, its no fun. Memory problems. Its great to have so much trouble in school because nothing will stick. I'm sure it will have long reaching effects. Apparently, genetic damages can also occur, but I do not suffer this to my knowledge.
Ritilin was prescribed to me because insurance covered it. I am not ADD, or ADHD. I don't have trouble concentrating, and I'm not overly excitable. I was, like every five year old, tough to handle. Like many 5 year olds, I was tested, and shown positive for extreme ADD, ADHD, and ED - emotionally disturbed. WTF? Ritilin ahoy! I was "special ed" up until last year when I faught to prove that my IEP was useless. I was on the pills until 8th grade, when I finally rebelled. I had no personality. If you remember me as kamikazecow1024, you might note that any posts of mine you read were bland and useless. My hobbies were videogames and reading. That was it. I had no friends. I didn't know why I should have them. No one liked me in school because I was special ed. I picked up many strange quirks, and dealt with alot, under the weight of ritilin. Eventually, I began missing my pills frequently, which had an adverse effect, which makes people think they "remember" what any given child was like without it.. but I noticed things were very, very different. It was like... not being sleepy all the time. My mind raced, and my facination and curiousity wasn't limited by my apathy. Finally, I just refused to take the pills. I was a riled up turd for about a month, and it sloped down. I stayed special ed 2 more years, uselessly, I opted not to take any of my special "help" so basically, I just had a wierd looking man harassing me about this and that to see if I was OK to do my work alone.
The beliefs I've developed is that everyone has a slight bit of this chemical imbalance that ritilin "corrects." (which they don't know how it corrects this imbalance, apparently, its not quite clear what it does, or how it does it) So anyone with the money for ritilin will get this miracle drug to fix their child. If I hadn't made the decision, I may have become dependent on the drug. I was not informed what the drug does, and I am not alone. (http://adbusters.org/metas/psycho/prozacspotlight/debate/comments.html?id=344)
This drug ruins people. This drug is basically an outlet for parental laziness, but all the blame can't be placed on them, as they are just as in the dark today as I was back then.
I printed this out and taped it to my glob of a mother, who's sleeping now, after an exciting drinking bout (by herself) last night.
Yeah. so that touched me a bit.

Awesome post, atma.

Ganon's Minion
05-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Meck, it almost made m shed a tear too...it's a weird feeling. =S

AtmaWeapon
05-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm not certain that cigarette comic is legit; can someone confirm/deny? In particular I find frame 5 has an odd style compared to what I'm used to seeing; it has more of a Simpsons or Ren and Stimpy look.

Oh and punkonjunk that is a touching story. The thread I found this in erupted into a massive fight between the "feed 'em pills" crowd, the "pills are evil" crowd, and the "Hey I actually had to take those pills and they suck balls" crowd. I don't know that anyone won, but I do disagree with the usage of any mind-altering drugs, particularly on children.

theplustwo
05-05-2005, 10:52 PM
The cigarette strip is real, it just looks a little different because it's 'early'.

EWild
05-06-2005, 06:45 AM
I almost cried. :(

Lilith
05-06-2005, 07:38 AM
Pills suck. Mental problems also suck. You just have to choose which suck you want to currently deal with, that's my experience.

That is sad though. <3

punkonjunk1024
05-06-2005, 08:52 AM
My thoughts are that you should be able to fix it yourself. In some cases, you can't. My grandfather on my dads side was bipolar and manic to the extreme. He was not safe without the pills... I have inherited a slew of mental problems from that side, buts its very mild. I feel that if its not dangerous to your surroundings (and I left out dangerous to yourself intentionally, its part of the point) Then fix it yourself. Thats what people used to do, before we had pills. So why rely on them to fix negative personality traits now? :shrug: I like being a bit out there.

AlexMax
05-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Well....

shit. :(

TheArachnid
05-07-2005, 09:13 PM
That reminds me of the part in His Dark Materials: The Amber Spyglass where Lyra has to leave Pantalaimon behind so that she can enter the island of the dead. The way you are told how he'll simply wait there and watch is really saddening, not wanted, like that comic. A good one though.
ya um ive read thoes books THEY PWN TOTALLY BTW!!! but anyway ur totally right the whole childhood lost thing on the fan comic and the losing pantaliamon :'( makes me sad