PDA

View Full Version : New Graphics

link.the.first
05-02-2005, 07:45 PM
How do I bring in new graphics? According to the description you can bring in other graphics but I can't find an option.

Dart Zaidyer
05-03-2005, 12:05 AM
File>Import. In this menu, you have several options of what to import. How much do you want to import? Just bits and pieces, or an entire graphics pack?

link.the.first
05-03-2005, 06:35 AM
Does it matter what type of file I use? Do I import every sprite in its own file, or can I make them all one picture? How do I change the Link sprites?

Ganonator
05-03-2005, 06:41 AM
You can import sprites as either .bmp or .gif. The colors may be off, but from what I understand, there is a color corrector built into Zquest nowadays.

The pictures don't have to matter in size. Any size bitmap can be imported, and the tiles don't even need to be aligned. To import graphics from a picture, go to Quest > Graphics > Tiles > Import. (Or, read JayeM's tutorial on tile grabbing by hitting F1 in Zquest)

As far as changing link sprites, they are hardcoded to a specific range of places in the tile pages. If you open up the main page, and go to C-set 6 (hit '+' on the numpad 6 times until it's the correct color of green), you will see all of the tiles used for link. You can import your own graphics for him, and replace the old with the new. You will also have to edit palettes for this, and you can also check that out in JayeM's Zquest tutorial.

If you want the best advice, also open up example_1st_bs.qst to see how 3-frame link animation is laid out in the tilepages as well.

Hope this all helps.

Dart Zaidyer
05-03-2005, 05:16 PM
...Except example_bs_1st.qst is actually passworded for some reason. Probably accidentally.

You can import a whole Graphics Pack though, and everything will be set up for you. Be forewarned that it will overwrite all tiles though, so you'll have to grab them again.

link.the.first
05-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Thanks I'll try that

link.the.first
05-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Can you give me a URL to a graphics pack? Any would be good to see how to do it, but a Four Swords, Minish Cap or ALTTP would be preferred if there is one.

link.the.first
05-03-2005, 08:23 PM
All of my files save as a PNG image. How do I change to a bmp or gif? Can I incorporate animations made by another program, or does it have to be made with this one?

Rakki
05-03-2005, 08:36 PM
First off, try not to double post like that, it makes people mad. Edit your last post if you need to add something. Posting once, then someone else posting, then you posting again is okay though. And second, www.purezc.com has a lot of graphics packs, and the Pure tileset is LttP graphics, if you wanted those.

link.the.first
05-03-2005, 09:02 PM
It keeps saying "Unaple to import(name of file), and it is a GIF. I checked the name and it's right. How do I do this?

Dart Zaidyer
05-03-2005, 09:35 PM
The Import feature will only handle ZC-specific formats. To grab from a typical image format like gif or png or whatnot, you'll need to go to Quest>Graphics>Tiles. Here you will be able to edit your tiles by hand. If you hit the "grab" button, and then "File" in the next screen, you'll be able to browse for an image and rip from it as much as you want.
When grabbing, you can press "S" to switch the step value, which is the number of pixels the selection box will move at a time. Move it to where you want it on the image, and press "ok" to grab. Be careful though... The tile you had selected before entering Grab mode will be the one that is replaced, so make sure it's not something you don't want to lose.