PDA

View Full Version : Best RPG evar

Ibis, God of Magicks
05-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Okay, DDX had a thread about what is really annoying in RPG's but what are some things that you want to see? Especially things that haven't been done.

I really like multiple endings, but not ones that require me to replay the entire game. Endings based like on who I use in the final battle or where the final battle takes place.

I've always though it would be cool if EVERY NPC could become a member of your party. You walk into _____ town, into the pub. There is a guy passed out in the corner. "Hey buddy, we'll give you this "Bottled Beer" uf you come fight with us. "Okay" ... "Dude you suck, your only a lvl 3 dragoon" :) I don't know, like unlimited potential. Kinda like in tactics where you can hire people, but you'd get to go all over the world choosing them.

Something else I'd like to see is being able to annihilate an enemy species. Like, from the game. Or at least from a part of the world. You mean to tell me after killing 356737 slimes in DW7 they are still populating? It'd be cool if like local towns gave you rewards for making the suroundings safe. There would be some monsters/locations that couldn't be cleared, and it'd take a lot of killing, but there is that sense of accomplishment.

A crap load of mini-games. 'nuff-said.

Any things you'd like to see?

mikeron
05-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Way more side-quests and towns (optional, of course). I'd like to play through once, then play again, staying clear on the other side of the map for most of the game. Being able to devote a game to island hopping, then play a mountainous version would be cool.

Way more treasures/items/mega monsters that are also optional/hard to find.

Less FMVs (am I crazy?).

J.J. Maxx
05-02-2005, 11:57 AM
I agree with Mike. I like tons of what I call 'non-essential' items. Items that you don't need to beat the game but are very cool/useful if you choose to get them. I don't like a game where they force you to get every item and 'funnel' you through the game.

Like, for instance, let's take a game called Maxx Quest, and in the very first town there's a fountain. Now lets say 40 hours into the game you get the 'Bamboo Stick of Underwater Breathing' but you haven't stepped foot in that town in like, 30 hours. I would put a badass monster with really difficult enemies under that fountain and have some uber-cool sword in there.

That's what I like.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing. I LIKE LEVELING UP. I like taking the time to kill the same creatures over and over and over again, jacking up my gold and EXP. I guess because I think that every other person who's playing video games thee days just wants to conquer it. They don't care about the journey. I feel like I'm working hard and accomplishing something. I'm playing through Crystalis again right now and I love getting my level maxxed out before I calm the sea.

EDIT2: Oh, and I would put absolutely no coded-in cheats. Because someone will figure it out within ten minutes of the game being released and then it's all downhill from there.

Kairyu
05-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Equipment that retains its value for more than one dungeon.
Equipment that affects more than one stat.
Characters with more differences than stats and learnable spells.
Enemies with more differences than stats and learnable spells.
At least an attempt at unique characters and plots.

And now, for something less predictable:
Templates.
I'm not aware of any RPGs which have this feature, but I can't see how I could be the first to come up with the idea.
Make a menu or key command for "Templates." When used, it will save the current equipment and spell setup for each character, or maybe one specific character. When used again, it will restore your equipment/spells.
Here's an example:
Your have a good weapon setup for your party, and 50-something other weapons, spells and armors in your inventory. Then you decide to enter a volcano. You save a template of your current equipment, and swap out some spells and equipment for anti-fire equipment. Once you complete the Volcano, you want to quickly bring back your old equipment set without stumbling through your huge array of items. So you use the template, and your item setup is restored to the way it was before you entered the volcano.

Ibis, God of Magicks
05-02-2005, 02:01 PM
And now, for something less predictable:
Templates.
I'm not aware of any RPGs which have this feature, but I can't see how I could be the first to come up with the idea.
Make a menu or key command for "Templates." When used, it will save the current equipment and spell setup for each character, or maybe one specific character. When used again, it will restore your equipment/spells.
Here's an example:
Your have a good weapon setup for your party, and 50-something other weapons, spells and armors in your inventory. Then you decide to enter a volcano. You save a template of your current equipment, and swap out some spells and equipment for anti-fire equipment. Once you complete the Volcano, you want to quickly bring back your old equipment set without stumbling through your huge array of items. So you use the template, and your item setup is restored to the way it was before you entered the volcano.
That is a pretty awesome idea.

Less FMVs (am I crazy?).
I completly agree. I remember when you could fight a simple random enemy in like 10 seconds. Bam done. I think graphix wise, things have just gotten a little out of control. I would truly love to see a 2d rpg come out on a next gen console. I mean, ff6 rocked the house, so imagine that game with like 100x teh memory/items/story etc.

Master Ghaleon
05-02-2005, 02:04 PM
I would truly love to see a 2d rpg come out on a next gen console. I mean, ff6 rocked the house, so imagine that game with like 100x teh memory/items/story etc.

Lunar would be perfect ;)

Ibis, God of Magicks
05-02-2005, 02:16 PM
EDIT: Oh and one more thing. I LIKE LEVELING UP. I like taking the time to kill the same creatures over and over and over again, jacking up my gold and EXP. I guess because I think that every other person who's playing video games thee days just wants to conquer it. They don't care about the journey. I feel like I'm working hard and accomplishing something. I'm playing through Crystalis again right now and I love getting my level maxxed out before I calm the sea.
I am the same way. I don't want to just beat a game, I want to completly powen it. I want every character at max level every item i the game etc. I have an entire memory card devoted to ff1, beating the game with 15 different part combinations. (8 of which are all the same class ie. 4 white mages, 4 thieves etc.)

Speaking of FF1, RPG's need to get harder. You remember going into a dungoen, kicking ass, taking out the boss, then realizing you have no potions, and no magic left at all, and the exit is three floors above you. A grueling hour later you emerge onto the world map with only your warrior alive at 22 hit points.

J.J. Maxx
05-02-2005, 02:54 PM
OOooohh, you know what else is good? Useless items.

* Jason recieves two clay pots and a dragon candle

Items that you never really know if you'll need them or not.

Also, what do you guys think of the whole, 'Choose What your Character Says' idea?

I think it's interesting but most of the time you wind up choosing the reply that would best help you out in the game and not what you might really say.

Yoshiman
05-02-2005, 03:33 PM
I like to be able to choose who I want to have in my party, and who I run around on the overworld as. What bugs me about most RPGs is that you HAVE to have the main character in your active party. I liked Tales of Symphonia because I could use Sheena entirely instead of Lloyd.

Another thing is the length of RPGs. Again, using the Tales series as an example. Those games are pretty long. Final Fantasy 7 was a pretty good length as well. You didn't even know who your real enemy was until a little later in the game.

A little diversity in characters would be nice as well. I can't stand having a full party of just plain old humans who can do the exact same thing if you equip them right. We need more characters like Freya (FFIX), and Garr (Breath of Fire 3). Here's where Final Fantasy VII and VIII stumbled. No matter what characters you had on your team, you could just give them materia or junction a GF to them, and they're the same exact thing (save limits).

J.J. Maxx
05-02-2005, 05:07 PM
I thought the Chocobo breeding in FF7 was genius. I was one of my favorite things in the game.

Steezy20
05-02-2005, 05:09 PM
All novelty inclusions are very welcome. For example on Fable you can boot chickens and there's sound effects. Lots of people saying random things and random insults. The bigger and the more wide open the RPG is obviously makes it better because you can play it like hundreds of times and never do exactly the same thing.

mikeron
05-02-2005, 07:46 PM
EDIT: Oh and one more thing. I LIKE LEVELING UP. I like taking the time to kill the same creatures over and over and over again, jacking up my gold and EXP. I guess because I think that every other person who's playing video games thee days just wants to conquer it. They don't care about the journey. I feel like I'm working hard and accomplishing something. I'm playing through Crystalis again right now and I love getting my level maxxed out before I calm the sea.I like to be sort of a "completest" as well. Just rushing through a conveyor best story line to the boss is kind of lame. It's fun to have to struggle to be get strong enough to not die in one hit from that Dinosaur. It's also nice to do "low level" challenges, where you try to kill the boss while weak or unarmed, which is facilitated by not having a one-dimensional "plot" to deal with.

I would truly love to see a 2d rpg come out on a next gen console. I mean, ff6 rocked the house, so imagine that game with like 100x teh memory/items/story etc.I always wondered what it would be like to have something like LttP, but so extensive that it barely fit on a GCN disc. You could have so much gameplay, it'd be ridiculous. But I guess there's no market for that. On second thought, I guess that's one of the reasons ZC kicks so much ass.

Speaking of FF1, RPG's need to get harder. You remember going into a dungoen, kicking ass, taking out the boss, then realizing you have no potions, and no magic left at all, and the exit is three floors above you. A grueling hour later you emerge onto the world map with only your warrior alive at 22 hit points.The last time I remember an RPG making me that cautious was Lufia, and that was only because I always try to venture as far as possible in the beginning of the game.

J.J. Maxx
05-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I always wondered what it would be like to have something like LttP, but so extensive that it barely fit on a GCN disc. You could have so much gameplay, it'd be ridiculous. But I guess there's no market for that.

That would be sweet. A 2-D game like LTTP would be like a drop in a bucket, space wise. So instead of making better graphics, FMV's, etc and not having enough space. Go with a very well done 2-D game that is so large that you could play it for weeks and weeks and never explore it all. Give me a game where the towns are literally miles apart. and it would take you a seriously long time to walk to certain places.

ShadowTiger
05-02-2005, 08:02 PM
I've always though it would be cool if EVERY NPC could become a member of your party. You walk into _____ town, into the pub. There is a guy passed out in the corner. "Hey buddy, we'll give you this "Bottled Beer" uf you come fight with us. "Okay" ... "Dude you suck, your only a lvl 3 dragoon" I don't know, like unlimited potential. Kinda like in tactics where you can hire people, but you'd get to go all over the world choosing them.
You need to play the Ultima 7 games. If you have cheat mode on, there's very, very little that you cannot do. I made my own home by dragging bricks around! :kawaii: And I LIKED it! ;) It might be abandonware by now, but don't take my word for it.

I think Tales Of Symphonia and Phantasia are my "ideal" RPG games, so I'm pretty much pacified. I have no suggestions for a better RPG. Perhaps I'm just very easily impressed or something. ... Well, ... Okay, Good.

EDIT:
(In Response To Archibaldo's Post Below: )5

[Off-Topic-But-Still-Fairly-Necessary]
Yeah, uh, ... ... is it just me, or does this thread Really, REALLY NEED a spoiler tag? :odd: It would be very easily crafted, were it not for the different color skins here. I think AGN USED to have a Spoiler tag too. It was pretty cool. =/

[/Off-Topic-But-Still-Fairly-Necessary]

And yes, I loved that part of ToS as well. :p I love that part where they reach the Tower of Salvation for the first time. It's like your entire system of beliefs about the game is not only knocked down and rebuilt from the ground up, but actually attacks you. That is so DAMNED COOL. I actually get real shivers when I reach that point. And to think C-Dawg used that midi from there in his Inverted Tower in SD, and nobody had any idea until now. Dayamn...

Archibaldo
05-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Again, for me it's all about the story. I love a game with a crap load of twists in the story.

///////////////////////SPOILERS\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Like in Tales when they find out that Kratos is like 3000 years old and that Mithos and Yggdrasil are the same person.

Or like in Baten Kaitos, when Kalas turns evil, I so didn't see that coming.

///////////////////////////END OF SPOILERS\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Also I would like to see a game that the stroy could change depending on what you do in the game. Like you be evil, good, or anything and each path you take has an alternate ending.

Jigglysaint
05-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Well for me, I like items, lots of items. I have a thing for treasure chests, so there should be lots of them as well. I like the idea of having many abilities that let you explore many ares, basically like Metroid. Also, items should be useful. Stat increases are somthing I really enjoy much, but they shouldn't be too easy to find. Weaoons and armour should have special abilities, enough so that if you have 3 swords of equal strength, each have a good use. One thing I disliked about Aria of Sorrow was that by the time you find all the cool elemental swords, you have access to the strongest sword in the game, making half of the items worthless. "Stronger" should not go by sheer power alone, but by the addition of bonuses, abilities, and protections.

I don't care much about plot or characters and stuff. What I care about most is how much junk there is to collect. The dragon eggs from the Lufia series was a great idea, and more of that should be implemented in future games.

Grasshopper
05-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Why does all RPGs have to be a medieval or fantasy setting? With knights, magic, and all that stuff. And why does a lot of RPGs feature anime style art now?

Earthbound had neither, and I thought that was an awesome RPG. Mario & Luigi was pretty cool too. I want more stuff like that. More off beat RPGs or something less out of the ordinary. I'd get tired of slaying the next biggest dragon or traveling to castle to find the king.

Ibis, God of Magicks
05-03-2005, 12:49 AM
That would be sweet. A 2-D game like LTTP would be like a drop in a bucket, space wise. So instead of making better graphics, FMV's, etc and not having enough space. Go with a very well done 2-D game that is so large that you could play it for weeks and weeks and never explore it all. Give me a game where the towns are literally miles apart. and it would take you a seriously long time to walk to certain places.
See that is exactly what I am talking about. I would gladly drop 60 bucks for a game I know I won't beat in this lifetime.

Darth Marsden
05-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Okay.

1. Enemies that carried items that are actually relevant. So no bees carrying 4,000 Gil or whatever.
2. Sidequests. Lots and lots of sidequests.
3. Multiples characters that you can change around (Like in Final Fantasy VII)
4. (Ties in with 3) With multiples characters, EVERY character gains EXP (Like in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)
5. Ridiculously overpowered weapons. At the end of really long sidequests.
6. A large overworld, and towns that actually have more then 5 houses.
7. A futuristic or non-typical setting. (Again, like FFVII or KOTOR)
8. A levelling-up system that's a cross between FF1 and FF2. I'll hopefully be doing something like this in my 3rd KX game, so I won't go into too much detail, but imagine FF1-style levelling-up for normal stats and FF2-style levelling-up for your magic. Think about it.
9. And finally... NEW GAME +. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

DarkFlameWolf
05-04-2005, 12:33 PM
then you actually may like my game I'm making with rm2k3 darth. :)

Darth Marsden
05-04-2005, 01:51 PM
then you actually may like my game I'm making with rm2k3 darth. :)
...and you may like the game I will, eventually, make with the same program :)

Other things I'd like to see that I've just come up with...

- ChronoTrigger style battles - IE: Not random (It was mentioned earlier, but it's a valid point).
- Status attacks that either work on bosses or last EXACTLY as long on my players as they do on the enemy
- Female characters that wear more then their underwear (This is more of an issue with Beat-Em-Up games then RPGs, but it does still happen)
- No constantly buying new weapons/armour at every town you come across
- And finally, being the smug Brit that I am, I'd like it to come out in the EU before Japan or America. :P