PDA

View Full Version : It will not start.

cloudbuster
05-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Hi. I just Downloaded ZC, and whenever I click on the desktop icon the start it, it just flashes and then says "zelda-w.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." How can I fix this?

Sephiroth
05-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Hi. I just Downloaded ZC, and whenever I click on the desktop icon the start it, it just flashes and then says "zelda-w.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." How can I fix this?
Did you get the allegro and the support archive?

wyrm-x
05-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Yeah, the same exact thing happened for me too. It seems to me that alot of things don't work on my computer because I have Windows Xp, and the other stuff is made for earlier versions. However, I don't see how that would be a problem for ZC v 2.1 because it was made for windows including Xp, right? Anyway the same thing happens to me and I can't seem to run it. I am not very computer proficient but the error I think has something to do with a temporary file.

Dart Zaidyer
05-04-2005, 07:19 AM
Run ZQuest once before trying the main Zelda program, it will create a config file that is essential for it to run. If that doesn't work, try an earlier version such as 1.92 beta 183 and see if that will work first. 2.10 is pretty unpredictable as far as compatibility.
Please note also that Zelda Classic needs write access to the drive it resides on, otherwise it won't run. So running it off a locked floppy or CD-ROM won't work.

Sephiroth
05-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah, the same exact thing happened for me too. It seems to me that alot of things don't work on my computer because I have Windows Xp, and the other stuff is made for earlier versions. However, I don't see how that would be a problem for ZC v 2.1 because it was made for windows including Xp, right? Anyway the same thing happens to me and I can't seem to run it. I am not very computer proficient but the error I think has something to do with a temporary file.
Win 2K and Win XP requires you to be logged on as a computer administrator to play ZC. (I don't know why.. so please don't ask. -_-') :)

wyrm-x
05-05-2005, 10:00 PM
yeah well, I did have administrative on and 2.1 still didn't work. I tried ZC 1.0 and the qest editor worked. however, when I tried to run the ZClassic, there was some problem with the gfx and it couldn't change the video settings. So that didn't work. Then I tried the 1.92 beta 183 and that had the same problem as the 2.1 version. Out of desperation I tried the DOS version of 1.9 and the quest editor worked (slowly, but I do have windows). Then when I tried to play any quest at all (Custom, 1st, Example) it said it was an invalid quest file. Am I never going to get to do this? (By the way, thanks for all the advice you've given me thus far)