PDA

View Full Version : Programming project I've been working on

DarkDragon
04-30-2005, 05:40 PM
As one of my classes this semester I and some friends have been coding a kind of cross between Chess and Warcraft; we just publically released the executable, you can download it at http://www.warchess.net/warchesschest/WarChessChest.exe .

Basic instructions for how to play are at http://www.warchess.net/warchess/tutorial.html .

We should have a dedicated server running at 128.42.6.208 (assuming it doesn't crash). Although we have an AI system it's definitely more fun to play against other humans; if you want to play but need more players feel free to hit me up on AIM (but be warned, I've had plenty of practice and will dominate.)

I'm in charge of QA for the game so by all means inform me of any bugs you encounter, especially if they crash the server or client. I'll gladly also add cosmetic bugs to the bug list but unless the fix is very easy to implement I'm not promising any speedy fixes for noncritical issues, since the semester is over and there are only three of us still around with access to the code repository.

slothman
04-30-2005, 07:30 PM
I doesn't even run on '98?

DarkDragon
04-30-2005, 08:37 PM
We're using the GLUT OpenGL framework; I wasn't aware it required XP, but that's entirely possible.

mikeron
04-30-2005, 09:31 PM
I doesn't even run on '98?HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

After 7 years, you're still letting 98 stretch your colon?

Dechipher
05-01-2005, 04:26 PM
98 is probably the best version.
More upgrades than 95, but sitll far more reliable than NT, ME, or 2000.
Smaller than XP.

DarkDragon
05-01-2005, 04:54 PM
98 would crash my computer about twice a week. XP on the same computer has only crashed once, when my computer severely overheated. I care far more about stability than size... :shrug:

Sephiroth
05-02-2005, 12:53 AM
XP happens to be as reliable as It's been. :) haven't had it crash ever since it was installed in 2002.

Beldaran
05-02-2005, 01:03 AM
98 is probably the best version.
More upgrades than 95, but sitll far more reliable than NT, ME, or 2000.
Smaller than XP.

You should go on tour with that act. Comedy like that doesn't come around often. Win98 more reliable than Win2k? haha that's a good one. :laughing:

mikeron
05-02-2005, 02:37 AM
My Windows 2000 computer has never crashed, and has had the same install on it since the summer of 2000. I've never seen anyone defend 98 before, unless they "upgraded" to ME from 98, in which case it's a matter of perspective. Regardless, I find XP is worth the bulk.

ShadowTiger
05-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey, I'm running a 98 System, and it only crashes about three times a year. :shrug: I don't know if I'm taking good care of it, feeding it properly, or letting it out to play with the other computers, but something's making it live longer than a PII 300 MHZ machine with Win98 on it should. :odd:

Thus, I'd be happy to play Warchess, DarkDragon, but I fear I may be unable to. Perhaps I'll give it a shot regardless later, just in case. It looks very interesting. Kudos on being engaged with such an extraordinary project.

Glitch
05-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey! I got a idea! How about we all stay on topic :) kthanks.

As far as warchess goes I'm looking forward to downloading this when I get home. Does the online play work ok for dial up?

DarkDragon
05-02-2005, 04:21 PM
The game will run fine on dial-up, though the initial download of resource files will be painful, sorry :( . We used a bunch of targas and wav files without paying much attention to download size.

I've replaced the download link because our webmaster uploaded the wrong build of the executable. The executable I've linked to above should automatically connect to and download the game from our server.

theplustwo
05-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Damnit, it downloaded everything but it couldn't find a server at the IP you provided!

This does look totally sweet though.

Also: Try using an operating system that was released in THIS MILLENIUM, people!