PDA

View Full Version : Help - My monitors god awful coloring.

punkonjunk1024
04-30-2005, 05:38 PM
OK. It's a "Samtron 75E"
I've tried changing both the input level, and the color temperature. At my current resolution, the only available refresh rate is 60Hz.
It's... too... dark. Way to dark. I've turned up the brightness, no go. I can do some things fine, but anything kind of dark, like Diablo II, will not work. I try to play it windowed, can't change the gamma, and can’t see anything. Starting up in the rogue encampment, I can just barely make out my character, and the NPC Cain, and a few flaming torches. I literally can’t see the ground or wall textures. Too dark. And its not night, its twilight, I ran it full, and I can see it with the gamma maxed just fine.
This has been bothering me immensely when I try to see pictures, or pretty much anything with a high color variation. It’s not a vision problem – a lot of internet pictures show up just fine on my school’s monitors. For example, the picture in my signature looks slightly dark, but well colored on this monitor. At school, it is much, much too vibrant, and white washed.
I would greatly appreciate anyone who can help me with my monitor’s color display retardation. My grandfather refuses to acknowledge that the monitor has a color problem, and refuses to let me use one of 4 working spares.
I can’t figure this out, its driving me insane. DII rules. I can run it full, but it helps a lot with lag, and with switching to other programs (music, chat) if I could get it to look right windowed. Thanks in advance.

Steezy20
04-30-2005, 05:57 PM
My old PC was really dark as well. I tried different monitors on it and they were fine. I finally reached the conclusion that it was my graphics card. Could be that in your case as well.

punkonjunk1024
04-30-2005, 06:09 PM
I may be able to replace it, but spares I have are most likely very low quality compared to the one in here now. I would hope there is some other way to up the color quality... If diablo II can do it ingame when its fullscreen, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do that for my whole monitor.

Verbatim
05-01-2005, 03:15 AM
A lot of graphics cards have gamma settings that you can adjust from the control panel...open up "display" in your control panel (or just right-click your desktop and go to properties), go to the "settings" tab, and hit the "advanced..." button.

What you get at that point depends on your graphics card drivers...my ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 drivers give me seven tabs in addition to the default four that Windows supplies...one of those is the "color" tab, on which I can adjust the gamma settings for "desktop mode" and "full-screen-3d mode" separately...it could be that your graphics card setting for "desktop mode" is extra dark, while your setting for "fullscreen 3D" is normal on your compter...that would explain why you can see what's going on in DII when you're in fullscreen, but not when it's windowed.

It may take some digging to find the gamma controls for your graphics card, since just about every card organizes those things differently, but I'm pretty sure most cards that are relatively recent do have them.

I've also noticed that I have something in the control panel called "Adobe Gamma" ...which gives some pretty advanced tools for controling gamma settings on my computer, and a wizard to make adjusting them easier...not sure what that came with, but if you have it in your control panel, it looks like it might be a good tool for fixing the kind of problem you're having.

Deviance
05-01-2005, 12:33 PM
POJ it is an old monitor. Looks like you need a new one soon.

punkonjunk1024
05-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I fixed it... Many thanks, verbatim, I'd checked advanced settings before, but I'd never checked the cards independent settings. After a half an hour of playing around with way way way too many different choices, I found color correction, and put it right.
Thanks much.