PDA

View Full Version : Not starting a debate, but think about this.

phattonez
04-30-2005, 03:16 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050430/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_mass_graves

500,000 Kurds dead and 182,000 were missing? Granted this isn't at the level of Hitler and Stalin, but wouldn't this seem like a reason to invade a country oust its leader. Of course, this was not the reason for going to war, but if it was, would this have been a good enough reason for those who think that we shouldn't have gone to war?

(I'm not saying that the original intention for going to war was justified, but if the reason had been this, would you have supported the war?)

Carcer
04-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Didn't they find these graves at the beginning of the war? I remember them finding huge mass graves at some point, but the government obviously use it as a reason for the war.
I still wouldn't have supported the war. They went about it in the most stupid of ways, and the amount of Friendly fire was ridiculous. Clearly, violence isn't the way to go about things. True, Saddam's regime was atrocious, but surely so many lives could have been saved another way. I saw little reason in reducing Baghdad and Al Basra to rubble, when they met little resistance on land once they got within the cities.

Glitch
04-30-2005, 04:49 PM
The US needs to learn to fucking stay out of other countries business.

Beldaran
04-30-2005, 04:50 PM
The US needs to learn to fucking stay out of other countries business.

Yeah shame on us for defeating the Nazis.

J.J. Maxx
04-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Clearly, violence isn't the way to go about things. True, Saddam's regime was atrocious, but surely so many lives could have been saved another way.

We tried other ways for about two decades.

punkonjunk1024
04-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Yeah, and our true morals for the war were not just. It is a good thing we've done some reform for iraq - But we need to get the fuck out. (wow, I think I just turned albino) We did what we wanted, but.. we're.. still... there...
Maybe america is still as imperialistic as it was in the beginning?

MacWeirdo42
04-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Here's my take on the situation. Saddam was a pretty bad dude, but he's not the only evil dictator out there in the world. I don't feel right about giving him special attention and ignoring other problems in the world. For instance, recently there was that genocide in the Sudan, and we did nothing, weren't even really concerned about it. My opinion is, we should either intervene in those kinds of situations as much as possible, or not at all. Otherwise, it only confirms that, for instance, there were alterior motives for going to war with Iraq.

Ganonator
04-30-2005, 06:34 PM
This gives the term 'raghead police' a whole different meaning :rolleyes:

Ibis, God of Magicks
04-30-2005, 08:09 PM
500,000 Kurds dead and 182,000 were missing?
I know I look at things wierd, but I think this is a good thing. I like a good slaughter ever couple of years. Helps keep the balance of nature. With overpopulation and shit, that's what 682,000 people not using anymore fossile fules. 682,000 people not polluting the planet etc.

mikeron
04-30-2005, 08:28 PM
we need to get the fuck out. (wow, I think I just turned albino) We did what we wanted, but.. we're.. still... there...I'm sure we'll "leave" as soon as we finish the new Air Force base. ;)

Lilith
05-01-2005, 12:18 AM
No one in the middle east likes the Kurds...they're like gypsies, considered scum and ostracized from everywhere socially or literally.

So the US probably didn't want to get all up in the Kurds because they wouldn't be winning any country's loyalty, and maybe even winning their disgust.

People are so nice to other people, don't you think?

phattonez
05-01-2005, 12:32 AM
No one in the middle east likes the Kurds...they're like gypsies, considered scum and ostracized from everywhere socially or literally.

So the US probably didn't want to get all up in the Kurds because they wouldn't be winning any country's loyalty, and maybe even winning their disgust.

People are so nice to other people, don't you think?
Isn't that what many Europeans thought of the Jews? We saved them and people seemed to be happy about what happened. Why wouldn't they feel the same about the Kurds. Would those countries be stupid enough to show contempt for the U.S. if they freed the Kurds and gave them a state? Every other country would be on them for saying that. Giving them their own country would help them.

(I know people will talk about Israel and what is going on there, but don't the Jews have it better there than anywhere else they were before? Maybe, instead of their own country, they should be allowed to go to Israel. It would be much easier for them to go there instead of having to create a country for them and taking land from other Middle Eastern countries. I guess we'll see what happens, but something needs to be done)

Lilith
05-01-2005, 02:42 AM
There's still a lot of anti-semitism in Europe. I think the majority of Europe was more worried about their own countries being taken into facist power than anything that happened to the Jews. Bear in mind though, it wasn't just Jews who were taken away into camps. if it was simply an internal Jewish genocide and not a world war, people might be seeing things a lot differently. Not to insult any Europeans, but there you go.

And I'm pretty sure is the US gave the Kurds a state, a lot of people would REALLY hate us (not that they don't already)...take part of their land and give it to "dirty gypsies"? Yeah no. We discussed this a lot in a history class I was in and the results would be pretty fucked up.

Verbatim
05-01-2005, 02:47 AM
I'd say I'd probably have supported it if we'd gone to war over that at a time when it was still current...it's been a long time since then, and, in fact, the Kurdish areas of Iraq were not actually under the control of Saddam Hussein before the war, they were pretty well independant...if it weren't for Turkey's opposition (due to fears of renewed civil war, and fears of getting what they deserve for treating the Kurds like dogs--I've heard it's even illegal to speak Kurdish in Turkey, despite a Kurdish majority in the eastern part), they might have become recognized as a separate country from Iraq.

What Saddam did to the Kurds about 20 years ago was horrible, but there was no current threat to the Kurds from Saddam that could have been used to justify invading Iraq when we did.

mikeron
05-01-2005, 02:49 AM
And I'm pretty sure is the US gave the Kurds a state, a lot of people would REALLY hate us (not that they don't already)...take part of their land and give it to "dirty gypsies"? Yeah no. We discussed this a lot in a history class I was in and the results would be pretty fucked up.If I remember correctly, the Kurds do occupy a contiguous area to the north, making the prospect of a Kurdish state sound. I think the area is even called Kurdistan. The problem is who gets propers for the lizzines bein' big.

Rainman
05-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Yeah shame on us for defeating the Nazis.

We didn't attack the Nazi's to stop them from killing Jews. In fact, we didn't know this was going on at the time. We went to war because Hitler was actively taking over Europe. We could have done many other things other than attack Iraq. If he had invaded a country again then I'd be all for war, but he hadn't.

Also, I'm really against rationalizing a war because of what we find out after invasion.

AlexMax
05-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Saddam Hussain should be brought to justice for his crimes. He's one sick, sick man.

That said, the U.S. occupation and subsquent government are a joke. So many things done wrong and heavy handed, and now many people of the country we are trying to save hate our guts, and have spurred protest in other nations. Abu Ghrade and Haliburton sure don't help.

{DSG}DarkRaven
05-02-2005, 12:19 PM
that's what 682,000 people not using anymore fossile fules. 682,000 people not polluting the planet etc.

Oh yes, because Iraqi's are all driving Hummers and dumping their garbage into the sea. 682,000 americans would make a difference, but two-thirds of a million poor desert people is hardly a reduction in pollution. Your POV would make sense, if it didn't consider all people of all nations equal in terms of pollution and waste.

Carcer, the amount of friendly fire was actually fairly normal, and lower than just about any war we ever fought. If you'd looked at statistics about Vietnam or WWII, you'd be a lot more shocked.