PDA

View Full Version : J.J. Maxx aka Bob-freaking-Vila...

J.J. Maxx
04-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Okay, so it started with a shelf. Foxy said, "I need a shelf.". So, I walked into my fathers workshop, found some wood, whipped out the jigsaw, some screws, sandpaper, paint and bada-bing bada-boom, shelf.

And then, riding the high of my totally awesome shelf, Foxy says '"Chibi needs a stool to reach the bathroom sink.". So, I walk out to the workshop, fire up the saw, wood, screws, jigsaw... etc and viola, castle stool of coolness. (See "Proof..." (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=85214))

And finally, after buying Chibi a neat batch of gold pirate coins, I decided to make Chibi his very own almost-authentic treasure chest. Oh yes, and not some crappy lookin' wooden box with hinges on it, no sir. An authentic 'excuse-me-sir-I-just-dug-this-up-from-a-remote-island-in-the-south-pacific' kind of treaure chest.

I am 87% completed with it, having finished the lid, I have to sand and stain the box and add the hardware, then line the inside with a totally awesome red felt. Then I will top it off with as many fake plastic gold coins I can buy.

Pictures forthcoming.

Masamune
04-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Playing pirate was one of my favorite things to do when I was little. And it still is. =) But that's really cool, man. I wish my dad had made me a treasure chest, but no, he just sat around drunk and slept all day. ^_^ So you gotta be the coolest dad ever right now. I sure hope he appreciates it later on when he realizes how much work you put into these things.

Beldaran
04-30-2005, 02:06 PM
I'll be impressed when you build him a PS3. ;)

haha, sounds cool. You sound like an interested and attentive dad. That makes you one of the most important people in America.

moocow
04-30-2005, 02:11 PM
I'll be impressed when you build him a PS3. ;)

haha, sounds cool. You sound like an interested and attentive dad. That makes you one of the most important people in America.

I agree. Jonathan and Noah are two very lucky little boys, that's fot sure.

Trevelyan_06
04-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Very nice JJ, but you aren't like Bob Vila. You actually build stuff, unlike Bob, who just goes around pointing out what other people are doing and then drives one nail in at the end of the show.

Glitch
04-30-2005, 02:49 PM
JJ "The Tool Man" Maxx *makes grunting sounds*

ala Home Improvement if you didn't know....

J.J. Maxx
04-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Well, it helps that I never really grew up myself. The other day when it was time for Chibi to take a nap, he didn't wanna go so I bent down and told him I knew of a secret pathway the lead to his bedroom, but that it was very dangerous and full of deadly bats. His eyes lit up and we slowly crept our way up into the attic via the side stairway, over the mounds of junk to the old door that leads to the upstairs hallway to his room. We finally made it and he went to bed just fine!

Now I have to make a map of the house and make him follow it to find his treaure chest!

Link 101
04-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Oh man that is amazing. Making a treasure chest...then making a trasure map of the house to FIND the treasure chest. That is just awesome. Wish my dad did stuff like that. He did force me to learn how to tie my shoes at the age of three and how to ride a two-wheeler at 5. I hope he appreciates all of this, he has an incredible dad.

Dart Zaidyer
05-01-2005, 02:26 AM
You should give him a toy sword to take with him. And maybe a green cap, if you can afford it. When I was a kid and A Link to the Past was new, I only wished I had that kind of stuff to play with. I had to make due with a sword cut from a cardboard box and a small wash tub for a shield.

Ganonator
05-01-2005, 02:45 AM
I find it very cool that you will understand the things your kids get into as they grow up. I remember having to do all of this stuff on my own -> which was pretty hard when I was 5 and 6. I remember making tons of chests and things out of PAPER which always seemed to be thrown away by my dad :(

I wish we had more good parents in this world like you, JJ!

J.J. Maxx
05-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Okay, I just need to find a cool looking latch and finish the interior but here it is..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JJMaxx/chest1.jpg

:thumbsup:

Masamune
05-01-2005, 12:21 PM
J.J. .... Please come be my dad? <3

Yoshiman
05-01-2005, 01:45 PM
o_o

That's... Awesome! And it's not even finished yet. Best dad ever :thumbsup: .

Deviance
05-01-2005, 01:51 PM
HOLY SHIT DUDE. I want one. That is uber kewl.

Trevelyan_06
05-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Very nice, perhaps you could find an old fashioned simple lock to go on the latch?

Master Ghaleon
05-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Arrr I be a butt pirate! :pirate:

Where has my buried treasure gone?

the pirate smiley is dead :(

J.J. Maxx
05-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Maybe I'll make a paper-mache' goblet...

J.J. Maxx
05-01-2005, 07:55 PM
HAHA! Yohoho swashbucklers! Just to prove that I'm an official pirate, I'm going to double post! Watch yer tongue, matey! Hehe..

Anyways theres a good reason for the double post.

I have more pics since I just finished the interior!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JJMaxx/interior.jpg

Wa-hoo!

Besides finding a new hasp, it's practically done! :thumbsup:

Ganon's Minion
05-01-2005, 09:08 PM
O_O;

O_O;

O_O;

I'm deeply impressed. JJ, you're a great dad. Nicely done, man!!

Solaris_Omega
05-01-2005, 09:10 PM
You have my respect JJ, I wish I had things done like that for me. I hope that when I am a father I can do thing like for my son.

Deviance
05-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Can you please be my dad? :)

J.J. Maxx
05-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I remember at the first AGN convention, Jemsee brought a whole bunch of cool things he made for his kids, such as swords and stuff...

There's nothing greater than a vivid imagination and growing that imagination is my job.

moocow
05-01-2005, 11:17 PM
That is friggin awesome. My dad worked 2 and sometimes 3 jobs when I was little so he never had time for that kind of thing. By the time my sister came along, he'd found one job that paid well enough to support us, so he was able to be home more. He built my sister a club house in the back yard where we used to live.

So, I never really got anything as far as that goes, but my sister did. I can't complain though, because he was, afterall, working 2 or 3 jobs to support my mom and I.

J.J. Maxx
05-02-2005, 05:23 PM
So, what is usually in your average treasure chest? Is it 90% gold coins with 4% jewels, 2% gold plates/goblets, 4% bones?

I'll have to go watch my copy of 'The Goonies' to see what's the perfect thing to put in the treasure chest. ;)

Someone find me a fake jewel-encrusted goblet/cup to buy! :thumbsup:

I wonder how much this would go for on E-bay... hmmm...

mikeron
05-02-2005, 08:09 PM
I wonder how much this would go for on E-bay... hmmm...Now you're starting to sound like my dad. ;)