PDA

View Full Version : HUGE problem with MIDI Volume

System Error
04-24-2005, 05:55 PM
My computer has two ways of producing MIDI output. Creative Music Synth and Creative Advanced Wave Effects Synthesis. Now, the former has poor MIDI quality. Everything sounds like it is coming out of a toy speaker that has been covered with a bedsheet. Another problem is that certain drum instruments sound like the seashore instrument. The latter, on the other hand, has excellent MIDI quality.

But here's the problem. Whenever I open Zelda Classic while using the latter output device, the volume of it is reduced to an inexcuseable value. I'm talking having to turn up my speakers' volume up to max in order to hear anything. But that makes the sound ear-piercing, even if I turn it down to 1. If I fidget with Zelda Classic's volume control, I get nothing. If I mess with the computer's volume control, it works for a short while before going back. If I reset my computer, it goes back to normal. BUT! This does NOT occur with the Creative Music Synth, nor does it occur in Zelda Quest, even if I'm using the latter output device. This really takes away from the quality of quests. Any help?

Rakki
04-24-2005, 06:26 PM
There's a problem with Allegro, I think, that makes the SFX blaring and the music extremely quiet. Basically, all you can do is switch to the Creative Music Synth, or just play with the sound muted till the next version comes out. This bug is one of the reasons I prefer playing quests on 1.92 over 2.10, at least, the quests that aren't version 2.10 of course.

System Error
04-24-2005, 06:32 PM
It happens regardless of what version I use. And as I said, it's perfect in Zelda Quest. And now here's something even more stranger than that: if I put Zelda Classic in a window, the MIDIs work fine on CAWES! Strange.

Rakki
04-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Hmm... Has this always happened for you? Or is it just recent? I'm assuming you tried the older version in a separate folder, so the Allegros wouldn't get mixed up. And I know it doesn't do it in ZQuest, I can get music in that as well, even on version 2.10. One thing I noticed about music in 2.10 though, was that I was able to get it for a SHORT time in "Link to Tortuga" in the beginning area. It included a midi with the download though, so I'm wondering if that's why it played at a volume I could actually hear while I was there.

System Error
04-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes, this has always occured. I have never played with 2.10, due to the lack of quests for it, the bugs, and the incompatibility with the older quests. And another thing regarding the "solution" of putting it in a window: if, in a quest, I exit onto an overworld DMap from "cave" combos more than once, the music is once again returned to that low value. At the moment, I'd think this was intentional.

Rakki
04-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Hmm, I don't know what to tell you. 2.10 is the only version that music doesn't work on, for me, though I'm not exactly sure what is used for playing midis on my comp, on the other versions of ZC.