PDA

View Full Version : Spyware Problems...

linkofzelda1
04-23-2005, 12:01 AM
I am constantly being plagued by spyware. My brother doesn't seem to understand how to click "no" when he goes to a web site and gets some activex promp or file download. He just does it no matter what.

My problem now is that I have some that I can't get rid of. I have used both Spybot and AdAware and neither is the solution. It has the typical spyware symptoms, such as the annoying pop-ups (which make it very hard to play games with the annoying IE click every 2 seconds in the background as it opens a new pop-up.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what my problem is?

Gerudo
04-23-2005, 12:39 AM
1.) Install Firefox

2.) Kick your brothers ass

3.) Staple his nutsack to the wall

4.) Shove him down the stairs

5.) If all else fails, do 2, 3, and 4, then reinstall windows.

Hope this is useful info...

If spybot and Ad-Aware aren't working, then just do step 5.

linkofzelda1
04-23-2005, 12:44 AM
I am using firefox, it's just that the pop-ups use IE to open.

The thing is, I just reformatted about two weeks ago. I really would like to avoid doing so if at all possible...

Monica
04-23-2005, 12:28 PM
You can try Opera (www.opera.com) 8.0 just came out on Monday and Secunia (www.secunia.com) says Opera has 100% security while IE and FF have less, and I've never had any spyware come through Opera. :)

AlexMax
04-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Drive-by adware is not an issue with Firefox or Opera. You can use either one.

However, make sure you get rid of all icons for internet explorer when you install Firefox/Opera, and replace them all with Firefox/Opera icons in the exact same spots. They are located on the desktop, on the quick launch bar, and in the start menu. Also, disable the URL bar in Windows Explorer, so he doesn't "accidently" open IE. If he still does, kick his ass, because he's just being stubborn.

Also, after installing your new web browser, follow these steps.

1. Start Firefox or Opera. Close it.
2. Start IE. It will complain about not being the default browser. Click no when it asks if you want to make it the default browser, and make sure you uncheck the "always check on startup". At this point, you can get rid of all of your IE icons. Leave the icon for windows update, though.
3. Start Firefox or Opera again. This time, it should ask if it should be made default. Click yes, and make sure you check the "Always check on startup" check box.

Make sure you have a decent firewall installed as well, because that's a way for malicious trojans to appear. I'll give you a hint, it's not Norton and it's not McAfee. It's Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5. Later versions have a ton of bloat that you don't need, KPF 2.1.5 does everything you need, nothing you don't. And it's free too.

You can find it here: http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005SECURITY.php

In order to figure out if an incoming or outgoing connection is good or bad, look at the connection box for a few seconds. If you do something like try to connect to AOL Instant Messenger, and you get the box popping up saying that the program AOL instant messenger wants to connect to the internet, allow it. Otherwise, deny it, especially if it's trying to latch on to the process lsass, system32, kernel32, or svchost.

If you want to go from a fresh install, before reformatting, burn the install files for both Firefox/Opera and Kerio both on a CD (along with other vital goodies). Install Windows with your internet connection UNPLUGGED. After installing KPF and Opera (along with all your drivers) plug in your internet and run Windows Update (and if you're running Windows XP, make sure you get Service Pack 2 with those updates) until it says no more critical updates found (it should take a few restarts).

After you got a clean install, get a free version of AVG Anti-virus from http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1 (requires the download link being sent to your email, but it's worth the hassle), and you're all set. Hell, after this kind of install, I doubt you even need Ad-aware or Spybot, but just in case, install Ad-Adware and Spybot.

linkofzelda1
04-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I guess I will just go ahead and reformat. I've tried every way possible to get it off.

Maybe when I do, I'll finally be able to play WoW in peace. :D

I'm also gonna kick my brother off my computer until he becomes a more sentient being. Right now he's a crazy 11-year-old with major ADHD.

Thanks for the help!

firebug
04-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Now, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but I can't seem to FIND the free version of AVG. It's giving me a free trial version (30 days) and it's pointing me to buy it, but I don't see a free version anywhere. :|

Carcer
04-23-2005, 03:21 PM
If you are using Windows XP, then what I did when I was in your situation was to simply create a new user account. I found no spyware on that at all.

AlexMax
04-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Now, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but I can't seem to FIND the free version of AVG. It's giving me a free trial version (30 days) and it's pointing me to buy it, but I don't see a free version anywhere. :|

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/ww

Dark_Cloud
04-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Spyware Doctor might help, it costs money though :( You could also look for the spyware in the registry editor, but you need to know what your looking for.