PDA

View Full Version : Internet Humor

theplustwo
04-20-2005, 02:14 PM
This is meant more about humor on the internet as opposed to humor writing or television comedies or movies or such like.

A lot of people tend to think that being funny on the internet means being “random”. I know several people who tout their randomness as though it were a virtue. Being random is usually interpreted by these people as just making wacky non-sequiturs with no real joke or meaning.
Main Entry: non se•qui•tur
Pronunciation: 'nän-'se-kw&-t&r also -"tur
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, it does not follow
1 : an inference that does not follow from the premises; specifically : a fallacy resulting from a simple conversion of a universal affirmative proposition or from the transposition of a condition and its consequent
2 : a statement (as a response) that does not follow logically from anything previously saidThe problem with this type of humor is PENGUINS that it isn't truly funny, it's just nonsensical. Okay, so it can be sort of funny, but it gets old extremely quickly. The problem is that people see randomness as a means of surrogating cleverness. Humor is usually based around something clever, like a pun or a satire that cleverly undermines it’s source.

Naughtiness can also be an important element of humor on the internet. However, using naughtiness also requires cleverness in order for it to stay in the land of funny rather than veering off into dangerous “creepy” territory. If I posted “omg ur hot” in a Lilith thread, that would just be creepy. However, if she posted something about driving a stick shift I could respond with something like “you can shift my stick anytime ;)” which would be received with good natured belly laughs all around.

An old standard in the naughtiness category is the “ur mom” reference. The thing with posting one of these, however, is that the humor comes more from the satire of internet tough guy stereotypes rather than from the actual message. The type of person who will resort to any means to win a fight on the internet is being lambasted with an “ur mom” post, since the poster almost always would have no way of knowing the recipient’s mother. It is a jab at the type of person who will attempt to win an argument by threatening to have their older brother beat you up. That said, a lot of “ur mom” type posts have evolved into something wholly unrelated to the original satire, and are essentially just a way for people to point out a pun that relates something in the original post to having sex.

I was going to add more to this but I've had it sitting on my hard drive for a couple weeks so I just decided to post it.

Rainman
04-20-2005, 02:34 PM
I find your use of the word "naughtiness" to be quite humorous.

Beyond that I agree with you. Non sequitur humor is rarely funny if given in high volumes. Sometimes things can become funny if it's clear that the poster is actually parodying these less intelligent forms of humor. An example of intelligent humor through non sequitur can be done by contrasting an overly seroius post with an evidently trivial/nonsensical post that. From this comes Irony which is really the root humor source that is always effective if used by a skilled author.

DarkPanther
04-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah.

A skilled author like ur mom!

Carcer
04-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Yeah.

ROFL!

Ok, calm. I agree with most of that, yes. But for me, I prefer wit. Not that I use it, but I quite like it. But internet humour can extend to everything. I must say, most of the things that people find and show on GD is usually random humour - if it is humourous, I mean.

Link 101
04-20-2005, 03:18 PM
I am like that all the time for the sole purpose of being annoying. I go into chat rooms and call people beefcakes, then they get mad and try to report me for calling them a beefcake. AOL has beefcake customers, I'll tell you what, me included!

Saffith
04-20-2005, 04:04 PM
The trick is to mix randomness with obscure pop culture references. That's automatically funny, even though most people don't understand why. And that man was Eli Whitney.

Link 101
04-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Usually I just act like everyone else in this bloody world does, but sarcastically. You know go into chat rooms and be like "Hey, any hawt gurls in hurr wana chat press 69." Crap like that. People usually get a kick outta it, unless they are a person who does that.

MacWeirdo42
04-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Funny, among my group of friends in real life, naughtiness is the entire basis for our humor. Actually, "ur mom" is, too. The funny thing is, for example, I'll say a "ur mom" joke to my girlfriend, and she'll reply with "Hey, you can't say that, you've met my mom." Also, we tend to make naughty references even when it makes no sense at all. Yup, inappropriateness, "ur mom," and utter randomness are all integral parts of humor with my friends, so I think it's interesting the fact that these are things you tend to associate with Internet humor.

Rainman
04-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Yeah.

Why thank you! She's an English teacher you know so maybe that's why she is apparently so skilled. :)