PDA

View Full Version : Pope Benedict the XVI

ctrl-alt-delete
04-19-2005, 01:05 PM
A new pope was elected moments ago. I have been watching all morning to see whom would be next. You can find the news here (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/19/pope.tuesday/index.html). He is old...

carrot red
04-19-2005, 01:11 PM
They say he's a transition Pope. They also say he was very active the last couple of years at the Vatican and no decision was ever taken without him reading and approving it when the late Pope was sick.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-19-2005, 01:15 PM
I am no Catholic, but I am a Liberal Christian, and it kind of pisses me off. I wanted the church to go in a new direction. I feel like today's religious conservatives just do what everyone else around them does, with no clear foundation in the bible. Well, I choose to follow what God said, not what other people say. For example, dancing. WTF is wrong with dancing? And that is coming from a Southern Baptist.

I wish this pope, being so old, would just die, ushering in somebody that is not such a fundamentalist...and that is the most terrible thing I have ever said....my soul hurts...it's...burning.

theplustwo
04-19-2005, 01:21 PM
I am no Catholic...If you're not Catholic then why do you care what direction the Catholic church goes in?

ctrl-alt-delete
04-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Because the Catholic church has a big influence on all faiths that believe in Jesus Christ. There are so many followers of Catholicism, and I would like to see those people influenced differently.

In our world, it is natural to be a follower. Everyone wants to wear what everyone else is wearing and act like everyone else is acting. I have more respect for those leaders that change things. I do not want to see faith portrayed as following other people's ideals. I want to see it solely based around God, and completely trusting in the Holy Spirit.

Rainman
04-19-2005, 01:26 PM
If you're not Catholic then why do you care what direction the Catholic church goes in?

I not even christian and I care. The pope has got millions of people under his theological control.

Beldaran
04-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Awesome, another person to ignore for fifteen years until he dies, then ignore the news coverage of his death, and then ingore his successor.

Rainman
04-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Heh, the last news that I remember of Pope John Paul II was his being visited my a group of break dancers.

"Actually, he only blessed one of the dancers that day. And he, in turn, " *does a little dance move* "passed it on to the others!" Stephen Colbert This Week in God, The Daily Show God I love him.

Archibaldo
04-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Hmmm, I thought he was going to take on the name John Paul III. Like the pope before him, his actual name was something like Karol Wyjatoia or something like that.

Glitch
04-19-2005, 01:39 PM
I still think Eckels would of made a far better pope....

Rainman
04-19-2005, 01:51 PM
I still think Eckels would of made a far better pope....

Don't worry. He can always be the antipope (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipope)

theplustwo
04-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Because the Catholic church has a big influence on all faiths that believe in Jesus Christ. There are so many followers of Catholicism, and I would like to see those people influenced differently.

In our world, it is natural to be a follower. Everyone wants to wear what everyone else is wearing and act like everyone else is acting. I have more respect for those leaders that change things. I do not want to see faith portrayed as following other people's ideals. I want to see it solely based around God, and completely trusting in the Holy Spirit.I am Catholic and I don't really care. Because personally my faith is based more on the bible than pontifical dogma, it doesn't really matter to me which way a particular pope's theology leans.

It seems to me that you do want everyone to follow what the pope says, but only as long as what he says agrees with your beliefs.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-19-2005, 02:47 PM
No, I wanted the new pope to be a leader and usher in a change in the church that focused on doing what the bible says, and not just doing what everyone else around you does.

Carcer
04-19-2005, 02:56 PM
I wish this pope, being so old, would just die, ushering in somebody that is not such a fundamentalist...and that is the most terrible thing I have ever said....my soul hurts...it's...burning.
If it's the most terrible thing that you have ever said, why post it?

I reccommend that, if anyone wants to know what direction that the Catholic church is going in, they should read up on previous Benedicts. The Pope chooses his new name based on other popes - if they choose a name of an old Pope, it means that they will follow in their footsteps. If they choose their own, then they have their own ideas.

EDIT: Archibaldo, just to say, his name is/was Joseph Ratzinger.

Beldaran
04-19-2005, 02:57 PM
I think The Popes would be a cool name for a punk band.

Kairyu
04-19-2005, 06:06 PM
No, I wanted the new pope to be a leader and usher in a change in the church that focused on doing what the bible says, and not just doing what everyone else around you does.

Exactly. You want him to usher in a change in the Church which parallels your interpretation of the Bible. Unless you want him to just do something new, regardless of how it matches up to your beliefs.

Saffith
04-20-2005, 04:05 AM
Something interesting I found recently... (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/seishin/random/empirestrikesback.jpg)

Scary.

ShadowTiger
04-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Holy Crap, Saffith. XD :laughing:

I kinda wish this Pope would be less conservative. I rather liked Pope John Paul II's way of dealing with the Christian ideals. I like it how he said that the Jews didn't kill Jesus. I'm not all that religious, or even concerned, for that matter, but I think it was just at least a little bit nice to hear. I mean, from a Christian authority figure.

EDIT: I don't mean that in a religious way. It was implied through a comparison of other Christian figures. I am otherwise relatively indifferent.