PDA

View Full Version : After some programs.

goKi
04-14-2005, 05:20 AM
Rather than just type what i want into google, i'm looking for someone who has a recommendation after using either of the following:

1) A program to split one 80 minute WAV/MP3 file into tracks to burn straight onto CDA. Must be extremely precise, and allow me to basically hit the stop button on the playback at the right time, and insert a track marker.

2) A program that converts AVI to DVD Video.

Thanks guys.

Masamune
04-14-2005, 06:47 AM
Use DVD santa for the 2nd one.

goKi
04-14-2005, 07:04 AM
Okay... DVD Santa seems to do it, thanks Masa. Any suggestions for the first?

gdorf
04-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Audacity would work for the first, I believe.

Steezy20
04-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Nero Wave Editor is what i use.
never tried it for a clip that big though.

goKi
04-15-2005, 07:15 PM
gdorf - I'll give Audacity a go after work, and let you know.

Steezy20 - I've tried using nero wav editor, and i can't get it right with that.

When i play through the track, i have to stop it at a precise time, when i press stop in Nero, the stop time isn't displayed anywhere i can see, and the selection bar has not moved, so i have to try 'guess' the time, and i just can't get it precise enough. Nero would work is the selection bar moved with the playing bar, anyone know if there's a way to do that?

firebug
04-15-2005, 07:35 PM
If it's a wav file, you can open it up in TMPGENC (not sure it it will take mp3s), and chop it into separate audio files down to the second. It's tedious work, but if you listen to the whole thing first, and make a list of where the tracks start and end, it's pretty simple.

AlexMax
04-15-2005, 09:46 PM
I've had good experiences with Goldwave in the realm of sound editing. The trial version limits the number of actions you can do on a particular sound file at a time, but 150 or so actions should be enough to at least segment off a few of the tracks.

I would be surprised, however, if you were the only person with this problem. I'm fairly certain someone has come up with a nicer solution than going into a sound editor like Goldwave, but I can't think of any examples of such programs off the top of my head.

Kryten
04-17-2005, 02:21 PM
#1 can be done very easily with Goldwave.
Play
Pause
Edit > Cue Point > Drop Cue (shortcut: Ctrl-Q)
Unpause
(repeat as needed)
Edit > Cue Point > Split File (use "CD compatible" if splitting live or crossfaded tracks)
Done

There are a million "all in one" programs, but they're all going to give you mediocre results.
Best is to use TMPGEnc to make the video and Nero or something similar to make it into a DVD.
In TMPGEnc, go into settings to set everything to "maximum quality" before converting. Better to have to wait a couple of extra hours in converting than end up with a shitty looking DVD video.