PDA

View Full Version : Three questions

Darth Pikachu
04-13-2005, 11:00 PM
I have three tough questions.

First, in some of the quests I've downloaded, I've noticed spikes that let you walk across them when the spike are down and hurt you when they are up. How do you design this is ZQuest?

Second, is it possible to make a room where I use the boomerang to toggle when I can push blocks? To be more specific, let's say I have a room with red and blue blocks and a boomerang flag that cycles itself between red and blue everytime I use it. I want to be able to use the boomerang to trigger which color of blocks move; if the boomerang flag is blue, then only the blue blocks move, and if the boomerang flag is red, then only the red blocks move. Is this possible.

Third, is there a way to assign flags to an undercombo. I know that I can assign flags in the secret combo menu, but the same trick doesn't work for undercombos.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just started Armageddon Quest, and thought of another question. In the room with the wooden sword, how did they engineer the wizzrobes to come in one after another. I thought it might be by setting the enemies to enter from sides, but that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Zelda Master
05-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Well for ?#1 You just set the tiles to damage___ and OUCH! ya gots ya self a hurt tile! and non-hurt tiles jist do the same just without set the tiles to damage__

Sadly I don't know any of the other questions answers.. :( :shrug:

Rakki
05-15-2005, 01:20 AM
That's not even the answer to the first question he was asking, ZM. You have to combo cycle to make spikes like that work. You can either set 1 combo for each frame of the animation, or save space by just having 1 combo for damage and another combo for no damage that link to each other and both animate. I'll explain the latter method right now.

First, make the damaging combo, for when the spikes are up. Right click an empty combo(a red square with a black border) in the box on the right of the screen. Set the tile to the first tile of the spikes coming up by clicking the first box in the row of boxes at the top of the window, then just find the spike tile in the tiles page. Next, put the number of tiles that the spikes are going to be up for in the "A.Frames" box. The spike tiles have to be next to each other in the list of tiles for it to work right though. Finally, set the type to "damage" whatever. You're going to have to play around with the "A.Speed" number yourself to find a speed you like for these going from down to up to down again, but set it to 10 just to start out. Now click OK.

Right-click the next blank combo in the box on the right side of the screen, which should be right next to or below or something like that, the one you just made. It should be nearby it just to make it easier, though it really doesn't matter if it's on a different page or something, it just gets more confusing then. Again, set the tile, this time to the first tile of the spikes being down. You need at least 2 tiles of the spikes being down for this to work, so if you only have one, copy it and paste it next to itself. Then set the "A.Frames" to 2, and try setting the "A.Speed" to something around 50, to give the player time to walk across it while the spikes are down. Again, you're going to have to play with this to find a timing you like. Now click the box under "Next" to set the next combo, and then find the combo for the spikes going up then back down, and click "Done", then click "OK".

Edit the spikes up combo again and link it to the spikes down combo in the same way you just linked the spikes down to the spikes up. Now place one or a few of the spikes up(or down, it doesn't really matter) combos on a screen, and save the quest, then go test it out. The spikes should go up, then down, and then stay down for a few seconds, then go back up. Whew, that was probably a lot longer than it needed to be, but I'm specific about things, so, lol.

To answer the other 3 questions, number 2, yes, but I don't quite know how myself(I'll play around and if I figure it out, I'll tell you), though I know it has to do with linking secret combos to each other. Number 3, as far as I know, you cannot set a flag to an under combo. And finally, setting the Wizzrobes to enter from the sides IS the way to delay them like that, but at least 1 tile on one of the sides of the screen has to be walkable for it to work. Just put a walkable tile in the corner of the room and draw the corner on a layer for the screen.

Rakki
05-15-2005, 01:20 AM
That's not even the answer to the first question he was asking, ZM. You have to combo cycle to make spikes like that work. You can either set 1 combo for each frame of the animation, or save space by just having 1 combo for damage and another combo for no damage that link to each other and both animate. I'll explain the latter method right now.

First, make the damaging combo, for when the spikes are up. Right click an empty combo(a red square with a black border) in the box on the right of the screen. Set the tile to the first tile of the spikes coming up by clicking the first box in the row of boxes at the top of the window, then just find the spike tile in the tiles page. Next, put the number of tiles that the spikes are going to be up for in the "A.Frames" box. The spike tiles have to be next to each other in the list of tiles for it to work right though. Finally, set the type to "damage" whatever. You're going to have to play around with the "A.Speed" number yourself to find a speed you like for these going from down to up to down again, but set it to 10 just to start out. Now click OK.

Right-click the next blank combo in the box on the right side of the screen, which should be right next to or below or something like that, the one you just made. It should be nearby it just to make it easier, though it really doesn't matter if it's on a different page or something, it just gets more confusing then. Again, set the tile, this time to the first tile of the spikes being down. You need at least 2 tiles of the spikes being down for this to work, so if you only have one, copy it and paste it next to itself. Then set the "A.Frames" to 2, and try setting the "A.Speed" to something around 50, to give the player time to walk across it while the spikes are down. Again, you're going to have to play with this to find a timing you like. Now click the box under "Next" to set the next combo, and then find the combo for the spikes going up then back down, and click "Done", then click "OK".

Edit the spikes up combo again and link it to the spikes down combo in the same way you just linked the spikes down to the spikes up. Now place one or a few of the spikes up(or down, it doesn't really matter) combos on a screen, and save the quest, then go test it out. The spikes should go up, then down, and then stay down for a few seconds, then go back up. Whew, that was probably a lot longer than it needed to be, but I'm specific about things, so, lol.

To answer the other 3 questions, number 2, yes, but I don't quite know how myself(I'll play around and if I figure it out, I'll tell you), though I know it has to do with linking secret combos to each other. Number 3, as far as I know, you cannot set a flag to an under combo. And finally, setting the Wizzrobes to enter from the sides IS the way to delay them like that, but at least 1 tile on one of the sides of the screen has to be walkable for it to work. Just put a walkable tile in the corner of the room and draw the corner on a layer for the screen.

Spudnickator
05-15-2005, 03:44 AM
number 2 might be possibe, you just need to mess around with triggers, flags and secret/under combos. But i don't know exactly how to do it. I'll play around and try to do it.

Spudnickator
05-15-2005, 03:44 AM
number 2 might be possibe, you just need to mess around with triggers, flags and secret/under combos. But i don't know exactly how to do it. I'll play around and try to do it.

Darth Pikachu
05-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Sweet! As for number 2, I thought I would explain where I got stuck. The first thing I did was to set up the boomerang secret combos, using the wooden and magical boomerang as two different colors, and then have them cycle, i.e. if the wooden boomerang secret combo would have a magical boomerang flag, and vice versa. Then in the secret combo box, the flags for 16-31, I put in two different color blocks to be pushed around. The problem I had was that I can't place two flags on one secret combo, i.e. I can't place a "push four ways many silent" and the other secret combo to make the color blocks cycle. I think this is related to the combo cycling question like number one, but I'm not sure how to do it this way.

Thanks for all the help.

Darth Pikachu
05-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Sweet! As for number 2, I thought I would explain where I got stuck. The first thing I did was to set up the boomerang secret combos, using the wooden and magical boomerang as two different colors, and then have them cycle, i.e. if the wooden boomerang secret combo would have a magical boomerang flag, and vice versa. Then in the secret combo box, the flags for 16-31, I put in two different color blocks to be pushed around. The problem I had was that I can't place two flags on one secret combo, i.e. I can't place a "push four ways many silent" and the other secret combo to make the color blocks cycle. I think this is related to the combo cycling question like number one, but I'm not sure how to do it this way.

Thanks for all the help.

Spudnickator
05-21-2005, 03:37 PM
yeah, i got that far as well. To be honsent, i've tried, but im sort of a newbie as well, so i don't know lots of things. As you guessed, i don't know how. Sorry:(

Spudnickator
05-21-2005, 03:37 PM
yeah, i got that far as well. To be honsent, i've tried, but im sort of a newbie as well, so i don't know lots of things. As you guessed, i don't know how. Sorry:(